Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

It gets a pass under the Web Planet Clause.

edit: Babelcolour, the best maker of fanvideos anywhere, is giving up. This is apparently the end.

Now excuse me while I clear out some hard drive space to archive that channel

He also did the official color restoration for a couple of the DVDs didn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Acne Rain posted:

Who is Chibnall and why does he make you mad

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Also, with Capaldi almost certainly leaving as well, if next season's companion only stays on for season 10, it's going to be a complete reset like it was after the Tennant years. Let's hope it isn't a bumpy start!

The last time we had a single-season companion it was Donna, who had previously been introduced in a Christmas special

Shona was introduced in a Christmas special.

Just sayin'. :allears:

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 23, 2016

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

You know, I'm all for this new guy if he brings Barrowman back.

please no

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

:eyepop:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Dear Moffat: if you really want to go out with a bang, and ESPECIALLY if the rumors are true and Capaldi's leaving too, PLEASE have the Doctor come back for Susan. I don't give a poo poo if Big Finish already did it, I think you could do it better AND I think Capaldi is by far the most fitting NuWho Doctor to do it.

Also if they ever need to cast young Susan again for any reason they ought to ditch who ever they got for "An Adventure in Space and Time" and get Ivana Baquero (aka the girl who starred in Pan's Labyrinth):

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Rochallor posted:

Susan's such an awkward thing to come back to, though, since she's from an era where it's obvious that the Doctor wasn't a Time Lord, he was just some dude. Leaving Susan behind is just weird if she's going to live for thousands of years and David Cameron (!) is probably going to die in 20 from like, dysentery or something. It would be really difficult because a) you'd have to reconcile all of that somehow and b) it's a really deep bit of continuity to rely on. The deepest Moffat has dug into the past series is probably the Davros two-parter from this series, and even then it's perfectly enjoyable if you've only seen Davros back in Series 4.

If we're gonna bring any old companions back I'd want it to be Ace. Not just because she's the best, but because she never got a real ending to her character arc on account of multiple parts of Doctor Who being canceled.

Fine I'll settle for Chatterton then :colbert:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

continuity fix: 12 can meet susan for the first time because neither remember their meeting in the big finish stories because Time War
done. whatever.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know what would constitute a fresh approach to the role. How about Emilia Fox? Katie McGrath if you want someone younger?

Ruth Wilson? Anna Friel? Keeley Hawes? Hermione Norris?

I must say, though, the prospect of Colin Salmon as the Doctor is what makes my mum go :allears:

Tamsin Grieg

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Speaking of Cyberman voices, I listened to "The Isos Network" the other day and, while the story itself wasn't that great, I'll always be a sucker for the electro-larynx Cyberman voice. Why they decided to stop doing them that way is beyond me.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

And More posted:

Ah, then I must have misunderstood you. As much as I'd like to listen to Season Two, I can't really afford spending 120 bucks on it. Eight's Season One is on offer, though, so I'm tempted. Maybe I'll skip some stuff, but Minuet in Hell honestly sounds like it could be fun.

"Season 2" is Invaders From Mars up through Neverland (and arguably Zagreus) , which is also on permanent discount.

Stabbatical posted:

I always really liked the Cybermen (in concept, if not execution) way more than the Daleks. I've not listened to any audios but I'm thinking of getting into them. That scene sounds cool as poo poo too. Which are some good Cyberman audios?

Spare Parts is a definite fan favorite (for good reason), and The Harvest and The Silver Turk are also excellent. Last of the Cybermen looks promising too but I haven't gotten to that one yet.

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 4, 2016

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

And More posted:

Personally, I enjoyed Last of the Cybermen for everything other than the Cybermen. They're not handled badly, but they're more of a backdrop for all the amazing character interactions.

so like nearly every other cyberman story then? :v:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

IceAgeComing posted:

plus the doctor who dvds generally have some pretty good special features which you don't get elsewhere

The commentaries alone make the Classic Who DVDs worth every penny and its disappointing that the New Who DVDs/Blu-rays have so few in comparison (although season 5 has video commentaries which are worth it because Beth Willis :swoon: )

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

jivjov posted:

Hey; a lot of the old EU was really good!

it really wasn't

even the Thrawn trilogy was amateur hour

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

this is both the best and the worst thing that could happen to me this week

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

computer parts posted:

I have Scherzo, Night Thoughts, Time Works, Red, Memory Lane, and Frozen Time already, are any others pretty good?

I love creepy 7th Doctor stories, is Rrrrrrrred worth the purchase?

edit: also if you care about Evelyn (and you SHOULD) Arrangements for War and Thicker Than Water are must-listens.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

As for stories from 51-100 that i HAVE heard, I gotta say I really didn't care for "The Kingmaker" as much as everybody else seems to. I guess Nev Fountain's sense of humor doesn't appeal to me (I got about halfway through "Peri and the Piscon Paradox" before thinking I should finish all of 6's TV stories first, but I felt the same way with that one), but he just kind of comes across as a bargain bin Douglas Adams. It also doesn't help that King Richard sounds like a REALLY bored Chris Eccleston the entire time.

edit: OH and computer parts, I noticed you didn't have "The Natural History of Fear" on your list. It's utterly insane, get it.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I actually found Signs to be the most underwhelming of the episodes in The Diary of River Song. It was competently done, but I felt it basically retreaded ground I'd already seen done just as well in early Big Finish (it's one of the strong parts of Project: Lazarus). Also I didn't buy into Samuel West's performance at all. I mean, we already knew he wasn't who he was claiming to be, but even taking that into consideration he didn't come across as even a mildly convincing imitation and I didn't buy into the idea that River would believe that even for a second. To be fair, she does discover she was drugged moments after meeting him and even in spite of what happens next she and all her clones all figure it out relatively quickly.

It was still good though, and I really dug the other three parts a lot too. This was designed to make the listener want to hear more of River Song and in that respect I thought it was a big success.

I think the positive response to Signs (I also enjoyed it a lot) is largely because people really enjoy Big Finish when they use the audio format to do something weird and different but they don't do it very often anymore, so we take what we can get.

Davros1 posted:

So apparently during an interview for Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Matt Smith said he'd be up to doing Big Finish.

Jago and Litefoot and 11 would kick rear end.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

jivjov posted:

And none written by Briggs

Same with the second War Doctor set, so maybe it'll be more interesting than the first one was.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

timg please

(Although the big versions show you they knew exactly what they wanted to emphasise with Peri)

not nearly as bad as Leela's weird crotch

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

but there was a similar perceived level of attraction/flirting when Mary Tamm was in the role (though to be fair, who wouldn't be in love with Mary Tamm? :swoon:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4bgOroUhWI&t=56s

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

And More posted:

I need to check out Rob Shearman's other work. 5/5

:eyepop:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

IceAgeComing posted:

If we're talking about Big Finish stuff the Jago & Litefoot series I've listened to are absolutely fantastic and well worth picking up. They're on the expensive side of Big Finish stuff (£30 per set) but the first few series at least are almost perfect in every way - excellent scripts, a fantastic permanent cast (especially Baxter and Benjamin, but Lisa Bowerman and Conrad Asquith are also very good) and generally very good and the sound design very is excellent and fits the sort of stories that they are telling. They'll occasionally put them on sale, and the Companion Chronicle that sparked the thing is relatively cheap and very good, its a Companion Chronicle so it only uses two actors but its done so well that it doesn't hurt the thing at all. There's also Jago, Litefoot and Strax which is the normal price for a monthly release: it adds in Strax from the new series and I've heard good things about it, although I've not listened to it yet so can't comment more strongly than that. Its probably the most consistently good Big Finish range in that so far (I'm just starting series 3) there hasn't been any total stinkers yet: in fact there hasn't really been a bad episode...

I've just finished series 8 (only two more left :stonk: ) and all this still applies, it's by far my favorite series Big Finish makes. So far from what I recall there have only been a couple of duds, but even those weren't exactly bad, just more along the lines of "Well that was a pretty strange decision for them to make." Honestly the least interesting stories are the ones where the Doctor shows up, which thankfully only consists of one full series and two special releases. Even though I get that they're DW spin-off characters, it seems like they're at their best when they're as far away from Doctor Who as possible. . Also, outside of that series they also appear in "The Worlds of Doctor Who" and "The Last Adventure" (which I have not listened to) and the 4th Doctor story "The Justice of Jalxar" (which I HAVE listened to, and it was fantastic). I hope Benjamin and Baxter keep doing these stories for as long as they live, and given how much they seem to enjoy it they just might.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

And More posted:

:ssh: I know, right? Even after everything I've said about Chimes, I'd never for a second doubt Shearman's talent and ambitiousness. I adored The Holy Terror and Scherzo. Two out of three is pretty good. Additionally, I found this review of Chimes while looking for someone who didn't love it. It addresses a bunch of issues I had, but there's also a guy in the comment section who claims to be Shearman. Seems believable enough. He definitely makes some good points, either way.

Nah man, I feel you. In fact I'll be the guy in this thread to say that I didn't care for The Holy Terror. The story itself was good but I absolutely loathed Frobisher in every way (his voice, his acting, his lovely accent) and I wouldn't listen to The Maltese Penguin even if you paid me.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

CobiWann posted:

Ok, how about this? What's everyone dirty little Who secret?

I don't think Frazer Hines's Troughton impression is very good. :ssh:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

why is she not front and center on her own cover AGAIN?

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Stuporstar posted:

^^ Power of Three was ruined by the fact that he was incapable of writing a decent third act. He's one of those writers who's capable of having cool ideas, but terrible at executing them because his writing is bad on a fundamental level. He's the Phillip Jose Farmer of the scriptwriting world.

"Riders of the Purple Wage" objectively owns so I don't see what you're getting at.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

hmm, what does the guy who wrote the shakespeare code think about other people

https://twitter.com/OldRoberts953/status/707586686176370688

k cool opinion guy who wrote planet of the dead

https://twitter.com/GonSmithe/status/707592765488680960

lmao

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was also going to mention that I was re-watching The Thick of It recently - I haven't watched it in a few years and it's really weird because Peter Capaldi is the Doctor to me now.

I wish this would happen for me, in my mind he still hasn't really stopped being Malcolm Tucker.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Peter Mannion.

is the best character in the entire show and I wish they'd cast Roger Allam in DW already (and give him more to do than they gave Rebecca Front, which I'm still salty about)

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

So I finally decided to buy a Big Finish subscription for the first time on a whim, mainly because I wanted the 3 upcoming Master stories. Since my other options were either the previous 3 stories or the next 3, I chose the ones that are already out, that feature the 5th Doctor, Nyssa and Tegan. 5 is my one big DW gap, since I've only listened to like 2 of his BF stories and have seen none of his TV stories (not even Caves :prepop: ), but I think these have finally made me a fan and I'm not even halfway through with them yet. The Waters of Amsterdam is a pretty good story, and I LOVE the first two episodes of Aquitane.

Not sure where I was going with that, other than to say that the 5th Doctor is Cool and Good.

edit: Also I'm really glad I got the whole first series of the Lost Stories in that Humble Bundle for like :10bux: otherwise this sale would've crushed my wallet more than it already has.

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 27, 2016

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

FIX THIS.

(Yes, it is THAT good.)

I own the DVD, I'm just still committed to my watch-it-all-in-order-a-thon, which means at my current pace I should get to it like 2 years from now (last one I watched was The Claws of Axos and that was like a month ago).

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 27, 2016

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Astroman posted:

How does an online shop for a major entertainment/media outlet just "shut down" in Current Year?

Like did someone at the BBC decide "OK, that's it, this whole 'Internet' thing is played out, it's a fad that's over. Nobody is going to 'e-shop' anymore, pack it in!"

BBC Online Shop posted:

Why are you no longer selling DVDs, Blu-ray discs and branded merchandise?
The DVD market has been in decline for a number of years as consumers move to digital viewing. The market no longer supports the commercial release of many of the titles we’re able to make available on BBC Store. BBC Worldwide returns profits to the BBC’s Public Service to reinvest in programming.

Fun fact: this is the same reasoning Adobe gave for ending support for their DVD authoring software called Encore. If you're a small fry who just wants to do small-scale sales of professional looking DVDs of, say, a web series (not that I would know :ssh: ) basically your only options are Adobe software that was discontinued in 2012 or nothing at all.

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 27, 2016

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

All the big American ones do afaik

Lol in America we just have vertically integrated media conglomerates that probably own the stores too.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I think they were so committed to the gimmick that they focused more on that than the actual story of the episode itself.

Funny, I honestly had the opposite reaction because I felt like they didn't try very hard to do the found footage part. The not-really-helmet-cams just kind of felt like a cop out to me.

Then again I also spent several years making found footage for the internet so maybe I was just Care-Watching too hard.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Just listened to BF's The Peterloo Massacre, and goddam BF needs to stop hiring Nigel Fairs to do the music. He just recycles the same poo poo he uses in all his other stories.

I enjoyed the actual story, but the production in this one wasn't great either. The old woman sounded like she was talking inside a closet the whole time. I still liked it, but it was definitely a step down from Aquitane, which was :perfect:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Burkion posted:

Chris was great

YEAH! :d:

Burkion posted:

and so was his season

HELL NO! :d:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I'm not a huge fan of most of RTD's work on Doctor Who but just on a personal level he seems rad as hell, I could listen to that dude talk all day long.

(actually I pretty much have, since on Toby Hadoke's podcast for Big Finish he released an interview that was 6 (!!!) half-hour episodes long)

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Is the Classic series being aired on a network somewhere or are renegade PBS stations still showing it?

I ask because my father called me at 11:40 last night full of excitement because he had just seen Robot for the first time in 20 years and he wanted to talk about it immediately.

There's a channel called RetroTV that's airing it.

edit: Yep looks like it was them because they air it on weekdays from 11 PM - 12 AM EST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Well he's now the same age as his dad was when he got the part so the timing is just right. :dance:

• Locked thread