Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Does the spine of "The Silurians" ever bother you? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Haha, I know what you mean. It's like when the actor's face in the little roundel doesn't match up between the first eight releases and then everything else after it.

I got the three Millennium box sets for Christmas and season three doesn't have a slipcase, so they don't quite line up on my shelf. It's almost annoying.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just like my comics:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In spite of not being terribly keen on his incidental music, I remain very enthusiastic about Keff McCulloch's version of the theme. You know, with the swirly purple nebula? I think it's because the first Doctor Who story I saw was "Remembrance of the Daleks".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Disappointing that there's no new stories this year. I suppose Capaldi's been engaged to go off to America and do some directing for Iannucci on Veep, which I can't imagine will leave him a lot of time for filming.

Moffat's got the new series of Sherlock too, but he's evidently incapable of managing them both at once. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, at least Cobi's friend who he said wants Chibnall to replace Moffat will be happy, I suppose. :shobon:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

I MEANT PAUL CORNELL!!!!!!

Ah, that makes better sense. :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

Then again I also think the Eccleston season is still one of the best of the revival and it doesn't seem to be remembered fondly so what do I know. The production values weren't as good, some of what came later devalued it, but I think it did exactly what it needed to to not only bring the show back, but hit it out of the park. I still think Eccleston was a far better doctor than Tennant or Smith, and that both of them were pretty interchangeable. It's strange to think that it's been almost 11 years since Eccleston's season.

As I've said before, I quite unabashedly love the first season because it reminds me of CBBC kid dramas (RTD's bread and butter before he did stuff like The Second Coming and Queer As Folk, of course) like The Demon Headmaster which I was dead keen on when I was younger.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

This but "the BBC" and unironically. How do you have intellectual property that does this well and drop the ball so hard twice?!

Assuming that Moffat is part of the issue - keep in mind that, to the BBC, Steven Moffat isn't just Steven Moffat, screenwriter and producer. He's Primetime Emmy AwardTM-winning screenwriter and producer Steven Moffat, the biggest-name showrunner in British television and mastermind of Sherlock and Doctor Who, their two most valuable overseas exports now that they've lost Top Gear. :D

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 23, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rochallor posted:

I mean, has the BBC ever had anything as popular as Doctor Who? All the other stuff that seems to cross the pond are just costume dramas with a production cost of basically zero since there are BBC warehouses full of Victorian clothing.

I believe Top Gear was and Sherlock is. They do not have the one at present, and Moffat is the man behind the other.

quote:

When you're watching an episode of Doctor who absolutely nothing about it screams, "Oh, that looks like it was easy to make."

Indeed, I'm pretty sure Doctor Who is the most expensive programme the BBC's currently producing.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jan 23, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Curiously enough, Britain's second-favourite navel-gazing gauche caviar lifestyle magazine today had an article about why Steven Moffat became the guy everyone loves to hate.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if Chibnall might revisit Nefertiti and Riddell from "Dinosaurs On A Spaceship", as Moffat did with River.

Probably too much of a gap between that story and him taking over, I suppose.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like speculation on Capaldi's successor has begun in earnest.

Aidan Turner as the Doctor? Is the world ready for a shirtless Doctor?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Rik Mayall

Travelling anywhere in time and space, except Europe.

cargohills posted:

If the 13th Doctor isn't a woman I'll be very surprised. I don't think Missy and the General were introduced for no reason.

I wonder if Moffat felt he wouldn't be taken seriously if he did it, so he did the legwork to establish that it could be done in the expectation that his successor might have a go.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CommonShore posted:

Just for fun thought experiment - middle-aged British or Irish actresses who own and who could carry the role in a fresh way?

I don't know what would constitute a fresh approach to the role. How about Emilia Fox? Katie McGrath if you want someone younger?

Ruth Wilson? Anna Friel? Keeley Hawes? Hermione Norris?

I must say, though, the prospect of Colin Salmon as the Doctor is what makes my mum go :allears:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 29, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CommonShore posted:

By fresh I just mean adding an interesting new personality somehow. I can only think of things that don't seem interesting to me - Like, Lena Heady came to mind, but I think that "milf gravitas" doesn't really suit the show. I also know that I'd roll my eyes if a 22 year old woman was cast as the girly girl doctor, but I wouldn't object to any good actress between 30 and 60 being cast as 13.

e. I know who Anna Friel is. She was good on Pushing Daisies. I had no idea that she was English.

Honestly, I was just throwing out names of actresses who have had lead roles in dramas in the past decade or so.

Laura Fraser?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My thinking is that, since they'd be casting the first female Doctor, they'd want to make absolutely sure to hedge their bets, and they wouldn't necessarily want a complete unknown. They'd want to cast someone who's well-established as an actor with a suitably high profile, perhaps ideally someone who's been a lead on a series before, who can allay whatever fears the top brass at the Beeb may have. That's why I tossed out those particular names.

I suppose Jenny Agutter and Joanna Lumley are too old. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chokes McGee posted:

On the other hand I dread them making a Doctor defined mostly on her sex appeal, which is what happens with a lot of female action leads. Sigh.

Cynical though I may be, I have a feeling that sex appeal will inevitably be an element of it if a female Doctor is cast - they're going to be thinking, at least to some extent, "Okay, guys, we know you've got doubts but give the new Doctor a chance - she's nice to look at, isn't she?"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

So in realistic casting hopefuls, I'm gonna go back to my pre Matt Smith hope that Paterson Joseph finally gets a shot at the role.

He's played him before!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a bit reminded of that one Alex Rider book where the villain is this Bob Geldof stand-in whose master plan is to commandeer Air Force One and start a literal nuclear war on drugs.

Anyway, you know how in "Earthshock" there's a bit where the heroes sneak past a couple of Cybermen in the freighter's hold? Said Cybermen appear to be engaged in a casual conversation. I am curious about what Cybermen would have to talk about.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

The biggest thing is that the stuff I associate with the 4th Doctor has not appeared yet. I'm at Masks of Mandragora, and he's still running around with Sarah Jane, no K-9, no Lela or Ramona, not even Adric. From what I can tell looking at DVD boxes, Ramona doesn't appear until much later, and Lela I know appears in Robots of Death, so I think she comes from Face of Evil.

Well, he has to fight the evil exes before he gets to Ramona.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

Then when they finally realized she was serious, they threw a little tantrum about it and just wrote her out with,"Suddenly she fell in love with Ace Rimmer" even though she'd told them she was perfectly happy to be killed off or to come back to film some kind of proper goodbye/farewell.

What a guy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Like there's a bad Fifth Doctor story.

"Warriors of the Deep".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Not enough Philip Madoc

Your name... is going on Ze List.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IceAgeComing posted:

I still think that it would have struggled in that period even if someone else was in charge: the problem wasn't so much JNT but the fact that lots of the BBC execs didn't like Doctor Who and felt that it didn't match with what they were trying to do at the time

Attempts were made to get rid of Red Dwarf as well, but it survived by emphasising that it was a sitcom that happened to have a sci-fi setting rather than a sci-fi series that happened to be a sitcom.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Castle Radium posted:

It was definitely the case that JNT desperately wanted to move on, but BBC 1 controller Jonathan Powell wouldn't replace him because he didn't want him on any other shows, hoping he would run the series into the ground and give them an excuse to axe it.

I believe JNT's ambition was to do light entertainment, and when he couldn't get out of Doctor Who he decided he'd do light entertainment anyway. Consider, for example, the questionable casting of Beryl Reid as a tough-as-nails Sigourney Weaver type space captain in "Earthshock".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrL_JaKiri posted:

For those of you who only know Levine from Doctor Who, I'd like to point out that he was an incredibly influential DJ, songwriter and producer in the 70's and 80's! Somehow

Levine himself denies it, but a lot of his contemporaries on the northern soul scene (where he's about as divisive as he is in the Who fandom) felt that he got as far as he did because his parents were quite well-off (they owned a popular entertainment complex in Blackpool), which meant he was in the privileged position that he could afford to go on annual family holidays to America (rare now for most people, but even more so in 1976, I imagine) and come home with tea chests full of something like 4,000 rare soul 45s. That let him become the top DJ at the Blackpool Mecca, which was his springboard into songwriting and music production, where he made his fortune (then blew it, then made it again).

His own view is that he would've found a way to get those singles regardless of his background, but I'd take that with a grain of salt, because he was acting as a supplier for other DJs via these overseas excursions as much as he was expanding his own collection.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

The best was recently he was begging online for someone to help him pay for this huge shipment of records he was trying to procure. I think he was asking someone to go in half for it. And in return, they would get a fair number of the records. Selected by him, after he went through the collection for what he wanted.

I am happy to give Levine some credit, because the thing that he blew his fortune on the first time around in the late 1980s was sinking a whole pile of money into a record label which would bring in all of these old Tamla Motown artists and get them recording new Motown-style songs. I think that's an admirable use of one's resources. Of course, the main problem was that Ian Levine is nowhere near as talented a songwriter or producer as Holland-Dozier-Holland, Smokey Robinson, Norman Whitfield, Frank Wilson or Berry Gordy. It tried its best, but in the end it didn't have the same quality as any of the Tamla Motown material from the 1960s it was trying to emulate.

IceAgeComing posted:

but they've both explicitly been the same show since the start? certainly since "school reunion", which I think is one of the best episodes of New Who and - I was still a kid at the time (13 or 14 I think) but I thought that it was cool that they were bringing back people who'd been in the original show, although I probably cared more about K9 than Sarah Jane since i liked the idea of the Doctor having a robot dog as a pet.

As I understand it, the BBC were keen that the 2005 series should be a complete reboot, but RTD pushed very hard to ensure that it was a revival and not a remake. He doesn't get as much credit as he deserves for that; in fact, he's often been accused of aiming in the other direction.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Castle Radium posted:

I remember the production team did their best to stoke up speculation about the Bad Wolf by setting up a fake website of fan theories, dropping tantalising hints that it could be Sutekh or Fenric or something else, and there was even a picture of Adam looking spooky. They knew exactly what they were doing.

I remember having this theory that the Bad Wolf was the Master, who'd been stuck in the heart of the TARDIS after he fell into the Eye of Harmony in the TV movie, then possessed Rose when she looked into it in "The Parting of the Ways", and then the Master was going to be the main villain the second season. I had so much misplaced confidence about that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was in Tesco earlier and saw this month's issue of DWM - I don't normally get it (collected it regularly about 10 years ago, have bought it maybe three times since Eccleston left) but this issue is a twentieth anniversary telemovie retrospective with never-before-seenTM behind-the-scenes photos and interviews with McGann, Daphne Ashbrook, Yee Jee Tso and (!) Gordon Tipple.

(No word on whether CGI Snake is interviewed.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Various reports are suggesting that the Beeb (or whoever) are trying hard to persuade Capaldi to stay on for Chibnall's first season as showrunner. I don't imagine he will, since he'll be 60 years old when Chibnall Who starts in 2018, and he might want a rest by then, but who knows what he could decide?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't realise "Paradise Towers" was poorly regarded. I thought it was quite well-liked, actually.

The only Seventh Doctor stories I think are especially bad are the Rani one and "Delta".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Yeah, Ambassadors is in my personal top 5, along with (in no particular order) Brain of Morbius, Mind Robber, The Chase, and Happiness Patrol.

What would everyone else call for theirs? Not necessarily the "best" from an objective or technical standpoint (I'll be the first to admit that the lighting in Happiness Patrol sucks and the whole production looks rather cheap, and that the Chase drags a bit in the middle), but a personal one. The ones you put on when you're in a guilty pleasure mode, not trying to prove to someone that the show is "good" (though certainly I think Ambassadors or Brain would do that).

Desert Island Docs? Really hard to narrow it down to a top five. For me it would probably be something like "Tomb of the Cybermen", "Pyramids of Mars", "Talons of Weng Chiang", "The Greatest Show In the Galaxy" and "Remembrance of the Daleks" but those could change at the drop of the hat.

Jerusalem posted:

You beautiful, beautiful man :allears:

Didn't you yourself make a joke when the episode was broadcast that if RTD had introduced Colony Sarff, he would've made a joke about his gay brother, Colony Narff? Or am I confusing you with somebody else? I definitely remember the joke being made.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

Also he would have come from the planet Rakkalakkabarakkamenakkavakkakrommaloomadommadoo, not to be mistaken for its sister planet and hated rival Lommadommavakkamenakkabarakkalakkarakkadoo.

Nah, it'd be Rakkalakkabarakkamenakkavakkakrommaloomadommadoo and it's hated sister planet Splamk.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was also going to mention that I was re-watching The Thick of It recently - I haven't watched it in a few years and it's really weird because Peter Capaldi is the Doctor to me now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The first episode is absolutely stunning (excellent! you could say), the rest less so. Beryl Reid as Ripley is an interesting casting choice.

I like the documentary in the DVD special features where almost everyone they speak to slags off the "eating a well-prepared meal" line and makes fun of how Adric kept flinching away from the console just before the Cyberman shoots it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

I was reminded last night that once I finished Sarah Jane's classic series run, I would sit down and watch my first Second Doctor story. I'm open to suggestions.

(Anything) but The War Games. I don't want my first Troughton story to be his last)

"Tomb of the Cybermen" or "Enemy of the World".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I still enjoy season one a lot. A lot of it is probably nostalgia for being 13 and hearing Doctor Who was coming back and getting to watch it as it happened, and also a sort of vicarious nostalgia it evoked for the CBBC kid dramas I liked when I was younger (The Demon Headmaster having been my favourite).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Trin Tragula posted:

How can you have been 13 in 2004 and still old enough to remember The Demon Headmaster? I was barely old enough to remember the Demon Headmaster and I'm an entire school older than you.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Final series aired in '98, so 7 years old. Reasonable enough, I remember TV series from when I was seven (eg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucky_O%27Hare_and_the_Toad_Wars - well, 8 for that one)

Quite. It left an impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know. I heard for ages how bad "The Web Planet" was, but then I went and watched it and ended up quite enjoying it.

• Locked thread