Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

CaptainYesterday posted:

Series 9/Season 35 had its triumphs and its less-than-popular outings, and the general consensus was 'could have been better' (even thought it won the Golden Tomato for Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror television)

That's a really unfortunate name for an award. Makes me think of the Golden Raspberry.

"Coud have been better" sounds about right, though. It's a bit like series 7 in that regard. Everything is very competently done, but nothing exceeds expectations. Then Heaven Sent happens, and it's just one gut punch after another for three hours straight. Best finale since series 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

My collection lines up beautifully:

:smug:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I don't see a proper collection, all I see is revival episodes :smugdog:

vvv This but the other way around

I think that collection is somewhere on some hard drive next to a folder labelled "Dongs" :wink: (It's because I keep backup copies, you see.)

Toxxupation posted:

ugh, why do you place garbage like "Midnight" next to brilliance like "Forest of the Dead"

You of all people should know that it just wouldn't be Doctor Who if every episode was amazing. :colbert:

And More fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 17, 2016

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

CobiWann posted:

It's not an old school episode but it has a bit of an old school feel in my mind.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I think it must have something to do with the design of the space ship. That thing is 60s as hell.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Huh, didn't see that one coming. :shrug: Hopefully, Moffat's last series is gonna own. Capaldi should definitely leave with Moffat, though. I don't trust Chibnail to write him a good series.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

What did people think of season 8? Since everyone here seems to hate season 9 and I liked it way more than 8.

I adore series eight. Only series five is better overall. Quite frankly, most of the series finales have been pretty bad, so I'm really glad that series nine got it mostly right for a change.

My ranking goes something like this:

5 - comes together brilliantly
8 - beautiful character study, great standalone episodes
4 - Donna
9 - decent episodes, great finale, Heaven Sent
3 - great finale, Family of Blood
6 - great episodes, really confusing finale
7 - good episodes, really confusing finale
2 - three good episodes
1 - three good episodes

Tavarin posted:

It would be nice if Chibnall could use the break to get some newer Who writers, since it seemed to pay off with guys like Jamie Mathieson over the last two seasons. The better the writers, the less work he'll have to do as showrunner.

Maybe they'll finally return Nicolas Winding Refn's calls.

quote:

Are there any other British TV shows you’d like to work on?

I would have loved to direct Doctor Who but they didn’t want me — they turned me down last year. Maybe if they revive Blake’s 7 I could do that. I love it. It’s great. That could be fun to update.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Tavarin posted:

I'm fine with the rankings, but Last of the Time Lords is garbage.

I love it. Something about that horrible little Doctor in his cage, and the Master refusing to regenerate just gets to me. It's definitely better than The End of Time with its twenty minute farewell tour.

And More fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 23, 2016

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Toxxupation posted:

oh good, chibnall's taking over, what with his reputation for stellar writing like most of broadchurch season one and

I assume you're just gonna re-post your series 1 reviews, and add a 1 to the end?

edit: My brain is scrambling every sentence right now.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Toxxupation posted:

ah gently caress i'm seriousposting about who

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :qq:

Stay tuned for my reviews of about twenty Doctor Who audio books I've been listening to while at the gym.

Chairman Capone posted:

Then again I also think the Eccleston season is still one of the best of the revival and it doesn't seem to be remembered fondly so what do I know.

I find the first seven episodes of series one completely unwatchable. The second half is okay, but Rose drags the finale down with her.

And More fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 23, 2016

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I've been listening to a bunch of Doctor Who audio plays. Just some brief impressions:

Phantasmagoria
Very pleasant, completely uninspired. Forgot it almost immediately. 2/5

The Land of the Dead
Starts off as an amalgamation of Re-Animator and The Thing, ends up crawlingly slow and vaguely racist. The mostly lame banter between the Doctor and Lucy takes up way too much time. 1/5

Red Dawn
The Ice Warriors generally make for good antagonists because they can be reasonable. It really suits Doctor Who well when someone listens once in a while. Red Dawn executes on this premise adequately. However, all tension is killed by having the true antagonist be some snotty brat. 2/5

Spare Parts
This story takes the Doctor back to the moment when the Cybermen were created. It's every bit as nail-biting and depressing as one might imagine. Especially the fate of Yvonne and her family made the apocalyptic scenario more than just a pretty backdrop. 4/5

Whispers of Terror
Taking the concept of audio to create a monster unique to the medium is no small feat. In Whispers, the sound creature's abilities shift from scene to scene. What it can or can't do seems up to the whims of the author. The ultimate downfall of the story, however, is Beth who couldn't be more one note. 2/5

The Marian Conspiracy
Evelyn Smithe is a lot of fun. She carries the story on her own. Sadly, the script is not as inspired. You can see the big plot twists coming from a mile away. Still good. 3/5

The Holy Terror
It's a story about an over-the-top monarchy that elects a shapeshifter penguin to be their new god emperor. Then it seamlessly shifts into full on horror. It's an amazing balancing act, and a great story in every way. 5/5

Davros
Davros really becomes somewhat sympathetic here. He also has the meanest yet most relatable evil capitalist to play off. You know where it's going, but it makes up for it with great writing. 4/5

The Fearmonger
Where Whispers of Terror failed, The Fearmonger succeeds brilliantly: Using the possibilities of the medium to create a unique villain, and a supporting cast that just works. Additionally, the scenario is tailor-made for Ace, and the finale resonates because of her. 5/5

The Genocide Machine
Feels like Silence in the Library mixed with a very typical Dalek episode. Decent enough. 2/5

The Chimes of Midnight
A very intriguing concept with an utterly unsatisfying conclusion. The culprit shouldn't have to explain who they are at the end. Any emotional impact gets lost in a big, ugly plot dump. 2/5

The Sirens of Time
A very bombastic concept that is absolutely impossible to convey through audio alone. Instead, the characters just narrate what happens. It's boring. 1/5

Torchwood: The Conspiracy
Good premise, ends on one hell of a cliffhanger. I have never seen Torchwood, but I can only assume that it wasn't like this (because this was really good). Only downside is that the other members of the team don't show up, and it has to be awkwardly hand-waved. 4/5

Worlds of Big Finish
A bunch of people fight a common enemy throughout different historical periods and genres. It's done quite well, but gets a lot less interesting once it's clear that the episodes are essentially always going to end the same way, and that there's not going to be a satisfying conclusion. Still a good way to spend a few hours. 3/5

Next up are Dalek Empire, Cyberman and the Stageplays. This format really suits Doctor Who. Sure, there are some duds, but that's to be expected.

Thanks for your suggestions, Cobi!

And More fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jan 29, 2016

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Jerusalem posted:

I'm still shocked at how good this one is, both because it is an early audio and also because McCoy stories often struggle to raise above "mostly pretty good" outside of a few notable exceptions. That they got it so right so early is kind of mindblowing.

It really sets the bar very high. The way it uses radio, speeches and propaganda to comment on audio as a medium is pretty unique.

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

oof , tough crowd.

IceAgeComing posted:

literally the first bad chimes of midnight review i've ever seen

:shrug: I feel like I missed something. For example, there is generally nothing I disagree with in Cobi's review, but he also never really addresses the way the mystery is resolved. Even if everything else about it is perfect, Chimes simply fails at being good detective fiction.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

CobiWann posted:

I didn't want to give away anything about the actual plot if I could help it, which is why I didn't address the "solution." But I feel that it worked - the seeds are there with the time loop and the phrase "Edward Grove is alive." The little bit of exposition is mixed with the house taunting Charley so it doesn't feel like an info dump.

I would agree if Edward Grove was the one responsible, but he's just a by-product of Edith's death. While the house itself is set up, and hinted at from the very first minute, Edith is mainly defined by being "nothing". Charley barely remembers her, and the listener can't remember her because she never was a character up to that point. It's basically a story about marginalisation that marginalises its characters. Admittedly, I didn't realise how old Chimes is. That makes it more understandable.

minimalist posted:

This, however

is monstrous

Chimes just pales in comparison to The Doctor's Wife. Both are counternarratives with evil houses in them, but Neil Gaiman's version actually establishes its marginalised characters well.

And More fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 27, 2016

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

After The War posted:

It's not caused by Edith's death either, but by Charley's life and the Doctor's decision to pull a "what the hell" Doc Brown at the end of Storm Warning. Paul McG's second season is structured around the fallout from that decision. That's the main reason I usually tell people not to listen to Chimes in isolation. Even if Charley could barely remember Edith, their lives were still connected - there's a lot in that period about the way that small decisions (to you) largely affect other people you're not aware of.

So, like It's A Wonderful Life. With a time loop. If George Bailey was "supposed" to die.

Which makes it more like the first Beavis and Butt-Head Christmas special. But you get the idea.

EDIT - Actually dealing with the consequence of the Doctor breaking the rules was one of the ways Big Finish expanded from the onscreen past. These stories were mostly given to Paul McGann - as the current Doctor, they could be as different as they liked without worrying about expectations for what an "Eight" story should be, including featuring an ongoing storyline. It's one of the reasons that run is so beloved 'round these parts.

I disagree with that interpretation of cause and effect. The Doctor makes the paradox possible, but Edith sustains it.

Well, now I'm intrigued. Let's say I only listen to Storm Warning, Chimes, Seasons of Fear and Neverland, would I be able to follow the season finale? Would Storm Warning help me appreciate Chimes more, or do I need to listen to the other ones in between?

CobiWann posted:

I took the marginalization to be part of the whole "upstairs/downstairs" concept that ran through the Edwardian era. The people downstairs were barely noticed by the people upstairs unless something went horribly wrong and then upstairs would criticize and complain. Charley was Edith's world but Charley didn't remember her, so the thin characterization made sense, and to me was just enough to make Edith an entity and the other servants a blank slate to be rewritten when needed.

Open Source Idiom posted:

At its heart, The Chimes of Midnight is an eviscerating critique of the late-Edwardian era, and of anyone who'd go around dressing and acting like Edwardians to boot. How many times has the Doctor required people to kill themselves, to sacrifice their lives in order for him or his companion to live?Is the Doctor and Charley's decision to make her feel good about herself, to give her a purpose, any better when they're still exploiting her utterly miserable life?

That sort of attempt at subversion runs into the trap of emulating the thing it's criticising, though. A Clockwork Orange, for example, attempts to show how the aestheticisation of violence can be dangerously appealing. It does so by being better than any other film at aestheticising violence. I don't doubt that it could work if the entire season built on the premise, though.

quote:

Incidentally, I thoroughly disagree about Edith's characterization being superficial -- the difference between the older, angrier version of the character and the younger, naive one is fairly pronounced. Plus the character incorporates the struggle of being same-sex attracted in ways that adds a depth to her struggle -- and I think a queer reading of the play, particularly the way it uses the dead/suicidal lesbian cliche, would be potentially interesting.

I'd argue that it doesn't really matter much whether you give the culprit a proper introduction once they have been revealed. It's all about making the puzzle feel fair, even if it's impossible to solve in reality. Edith would have to show up once as Charley's servant before the reveal.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Dabir posted:

She did. Charley mentioned "We had an Edith that worked for us, too." when she first saw her name in the dust.

You're right. I completely forgot about that. Still not exactly "showing up", but better than nothing, I guess.

edit: That stuff is clearly pretty subjective. Edith would have to show up briefly during an earlier play so you'd get a brief glimpse at her obsession with Charley. Nothing drawn out, just a tiny odd moment. Anything less seems like cheating to me.

And More fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 27, 2016

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Trin Tragula posted:

If she were physically able (in 2017 she'll be 60), I'd cast Kathryn Hunter in a heartbeat, the only actor I can think of whose voice could have the same impact on today's audience that Tom Baker's did in the 70s.

I enjoy going to see her on stage in large part because it's always fun watching the reactions of people who've never seen her before; this tiny five-foot-nothing woman appears, and then this voice rumbles out and knocks half the audience into next week.

"Who's trying to be a human being"

:swoon: She is perfect!

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Part two of my Humble Bundle-induced Big Finish marathon:

Dalek Empire
Despite being a bit slow to begin with, the Daleks finally manage to turn into credible villains by the second part. Most characters are carried by their amazing voice actors, but end up feeling flat. Particularly Kalendorf's voice is simply too good for his dull character. It's mostly Suz's fate that humanises the entire struggle. The cliffhanger was a bit abrupt, but it left me wanting more. 3/5

Dalek Empire II - Dalek War
Really tense from start to finish. I was starting to get a bit annoyed at Alby, but the finale still hit like a freight train. While Suz gets a lot less interesting, Kal finally turns into the compelling anti-hero he promised to be. Loved it! 5/5

Dalek Empire III
"I mean, you tried once, and messed it up, didn't you? Would be nice if you got it right this time."
Part three suffers mostly from looping around to the start. You know you've got problems when your own characters start mocking you for failing to get things done. The Daleks have also finally stopped feeling like a real threat again. With a bunch of Wardens and two enhanced humans beating them at every turn, the heroes seem in control constantly. Siy Tarkov annoyed me. He is very whiny. Tennant was really good, but I didn't like how his story concluded. It just felt bleak and nonsensical considering how much Elaria had helped them. I guess he's a psycho after all. 2/5

Cyberman
I can't shake the feeling that it's just Dalek Empire except everyone does the exact opposite of what they did before. Even the characters and their voice actors are largely identical. Still enjoyed it. Thematically, it conveys the Cyberman threat well enough. It's a recycled old script, but at least it's recycled well. 3/5

The Last of the Cybermen
Really strong from start to finish. The supporting cast is fantastic, and the pacing is spot on. Having the Doctor switch companions allows for one of the most soul-crushing moments in Doctor Who. 5/5

The Stageplays: The Ultimate Adventure
This one sounds annoying. There is a little gurgling creature, and lots of bad singing. The musical aspect is particularly wasted because neither the Doctor nor the Daleks get to sing. What's even the point? 1/5

The Stageplays: Seven Keys to Doomsday
Technically an okay story, but it suffers from its ambitious concept. With six more keys to collect, two companions to introduce, and the daleks to defeat, there really isn't much time for any tension to build. 2/5

The Stageplays: The Curse of the Daleks
Starts off as an intriguing detective/crime story. The Daleks feel like an afterthought to the Whodunnit. Everything after the reveal was just boring. 2/5

Destiny of the Doctor - Time Machine
Run-off-the-mill stuff. Jenna Coleman's narration is fine, but the story is just not interesting. The insect aliens are particularly disappointing. How difficult can it be to give me something interesting to imagine. 1/5

Destiny of the Doctor - Death's Deal
A really mad story narrated by Donna. The lack of Tennant is noticeable, but that doesn't hinder Death's Deal from being a blast. 4/5

Guess I'll have to find something else to listen to, now. I basically binged through Dalek Empire, but Dalek Empire IV doesn't really seem all that interesting. Maybe I'll give Eight's Season One a shot, like After The War suggested. Sword of Orion definitely seems worth checking out considering how often they reference it in Cyberman.

And More fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 5, 2016

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

After The War posted:

Glad someone else actually enjoyed Dalek Empire!

One of the things I really liked about this one (and the same applies to the first Cyberman series to a lesser degree) is how it made the conversion process scary again by slowing it down. It's one thing where the current TV series has really dropped the ball with "human goes in, comedy sound effect, instant Cyberman/Dalek!" The gradual process in Dalek Empire III is pure Lovecraft, complete with nightmares.

It really felt like they were building up to another series to resolve the cliffhanger, but then Tennant got the Big Job and they were unable to resolve it. If Cyberman II was any indication, they probably would have done a good job wrapping things up even after a lengthy delay.

Dalek Empire IV is more what people expect by "space opera" than the darker, brutal I-III. There aren't any major plot twists, but "follow a rag-tag squad of irregulars and misfits" (think Rogue Squadron) isn't a subgenre we've gotten to see in Doctor Who and Noel Clarke has fun playing a badass.

As a short horror story, Kaymee's transformation is pretty good. The dream sequences are really creepy. It doesn't seem like she gradually becomes more Dalek-like, though. She basically turns from one second to the next.

In Cyberman, I loved the reveal of the bug in Karen's reprogramming. Liam's partial conversion was kind of goofy, honestly. As far as moments between humanity and conversion go, Spare Parts handled it probably the best. Just a weeping Cyberman trying to remember who she is.

Yeah, that's the impression I got throughout III. Everything feels kind of stretched out. Like they're setting up IV, but don't really want to do anything interesting with III. If they don't follow up on it at all, there really isn't much of a point to most of it.

quote:

I think I said to listen to Storm Warning and to try and give every story a shot, so don't blame me for Minuet In Hell! Actually, I found that more listenable than the boring/purple Stones of Venice, so make of that what you will. Season 2 was the one where I said to try every story.

Sword of Orion was the first story in the Cybermen vs. Humans vs. Androids thing that the Cyberman series continued, so it's not required. It's pretty atmospheric for early Big Finish, though, and uses the EXCELLENT 80s voices.

Ah, then I must have misunderstood you. As much as I'd like to listen to Season Two, I can't really afford spending 120 bucks on it. Eight's Season One is on offer, though, so I'm tempted. Maybe I'll skip some stuff, but Minuet in Hell honestly sounds like it could be fun.

And More fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 4, 2016

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Tim Burns Effect posted:

"Season 2" is Invaders From Mars up through Neverland (and arguably Zagreus) , which is also on permanent discount.

Spare Parts is a definite fan favorite (for good reason), and The Harvest and The Silver Turk are also excellent. Last of the Cybermen looks promising too but I haven't gotten to that one yet.

That… is really confusing. :v: Thank you for clarifying that. Season Two it is, then.

Personally, I enjoyed Last of the Cybermen for everything other than the Cybermen. They're not handled badly, but they're more of a backdrop for all the amazing character interactions.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Tim Burns Effect posted:

so like nearly every other cyberman story then? :v:

Basically. Except really, really good. :shrug:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

qntm posted:

I just figured you could embed that moment in a good story, that's all. Cripes.

It's actually going to be part of a larger puzzle in Moffat's last series. A Psychic Wallpaper.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Tell him that initially it was something that let him undo screws at a distance (which it was) :v:

My favourite part of War Games is when the Doctor proves to a German soldier that he's from the future by slowly unscrewing a screw in the soldier's gun, and then slowly screwing it back in. Then the soldier forgets, and he has to do it a second time.

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWaS5QtUZKA

Fun- tastisch!

And More fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 7, 2016

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, he has to fight the evil exes before he gets to Ramona.

For she knows where the small friends are?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

CobiWann posted:

Vote here, so everything's nice and legal!

http://strawpoll.me/6840498

You just didn't want us to vote for The Creature from the Pit, didn't you. :v:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The serial itself does a fine job of that.

It's the only thing Occ should watch. :colbert:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Part three of my Big Finish-athon. The first Humble Bundle made me think it was mostly going to be mediocre. This is proper Doctor Who, though. Really ambitious.

Loups-Garoux
In the not-so-distant future, the Doctor encounters German werewolves on a train near Rio de Janeiro. The werewolves are scary antagonists, the setting feels well developed. For a story that juggles so many disparate elements, it comes together well enough. Sometimes it just feels like they could have gotten there in a less roundabout way. Pieter Stubbe's Sir Ron Lionheart impression earns this one a bonus point. 4/5

Colditz
The idea of stealing the Doctor's Tardis is intriguing, and Klein feels like a credible threat. It's a shame the story loses its momentum over the course of multiple meaningless escape attempts and the clumsy explanation of what is actually going on. David Tennant as Kurtz adjusts his talent to his horribly flat character. 2/5

Let's fool this Nazi into thinking I'm German posted:

Ich glaubte, ich etwas auf der Terrasse hörte.
(I believed I something heard on the patio.)
:thumbsup: (Admittedly, this was the only time they screwed up, as far as I can tell.)

Storm Warning
Starts off really strong, but the final encounter with the aliens just falls flat. Why do the Triskele have such a horrible excuse for a government? They are introduced so late in the story that it's impossible to care, either way. 2/5

The Chimes of Midnight (Second Impression)
Storm Warning and the second season did little to change my first impression. There is no amount of buildup or payoff that could save this jumbled mess. Chimes tries to be all about Edith, but even Charley's nameless boyfriend from Storm Warning has a more permanent presence in the season than her. The house as a third aristocratic force that uses Edith for its own gain needlessly complicates things even further. Her final victory over her partially self-imposed oppression comes off as barely credible. 2/5

Seasons of Fear
You spend centuries thinking up some grand scheme, and then he screws you over, and takes off. All enemies of the Doctor must feel like Grayle. It's almost tempting to root for the guy. Actually brilliant! (Is this where A Christmas Carol got its resolution from?) 5/5

Embrace the Darkness
A seemingly horrifying enemy turns out to be pretty reasonable. A seemingly reasonable computer turns out to be a giant pain in the rear end. Classic Doctor Who done really well! The Doctor completely misjudging the situation multiple times is really refreshing. 4/5

The Time of the Daleks
Time finds an inspired excuse to have the Daleks quote Shakespeare a bunch. It's hilarious. Learman's characterisation is a bit lazy and predictable. Still suspenseful, but not much more. 3/5

Neverland
Really ambitious concept executed brilliantly. Rassilon makes for a fascinating twisted creator figure. It's easy to forget how powerful he can be when Tennant or Capaldi are beating him at every turn. The Neverpeople are such great villains that I'll gladly ignore the hamfisted attempt at cramming in Peter Pan. 5/5

Zagreus
With everybody's identity split and twisted, there is no sense of permanence to the characters' actions. Since everything is fake, anyway, there is also no tangible sense of threat. Cheap drama drawn out over four hours. 1/5

Scherzo
Completely unlike anything I've heard or seen before on Doctor Who. This third attempt at a sound monster dips deep into Freudian horror. Stripping the characters of every sensation, and finally twisting even their last comforts is devious. The slow evolution of the creature and the overbearing sense of vulnerability are incredible. I need to check out Rob Shearman's other work. 5/5

Season Two kind of botches its conclusion, but I'm still on board for more McGann, especially after the nightmare-inducing Scherzo. (Only if they drop the price some more, though.)

And More fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 23, 2016

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

vegetables posted:

You may genuinely be the first person to ever give Time of the Daleks a higher score than Chimes of Midnight.

Time of the Daleks is pleasant and safe. Chimes gets a harsher treatment because there is something really good buried in there. I could write you an essay on why I find it so incredibly disappointing.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

CobiWann posted:

I disagree with you on Colditz and The Chimes of Midnight, and would rank The Time of the Daleks lower because of some incredible padding. But otherwise we’re in complete agreement.

The “your eyes, they’re gone” cliffhanger in Embrace the Darkness is still one of my favorite Big Finish cliffhangers ever, and the Oubliette of Eternity in Neverland still gives me chills.

Honestly, Colditz could probably just as well be a 3/5. The interactions between Klein and the Doctor are great, of course. That on its own is really good. There is just way too much focus on the attempt to escape from the prison even though it's pretty clear that it isn't going to amount to much. Ace's development is decent enough, but it's only really a big deal if you're expecting complete stagnation. I genuinely didn't notice any padding in Time of the Daleks, though. Chimes we're just gonna have to disagree on. I just don't like its conclusion.

I actually bought Loups-Garoux and Colditz specifically because of your review scores since I figured we had similar tastes. (I usually read them in their entirety after I'm done.) It's good stuff. :)

The second season has some of the most upsetting moments in all of Doctor Who, if you ask me. Rob Shearman sticks out, in particular. Everything I've heard by him so far has gone to some really messed uo places. The Oubliette from Neverland is especially creepy because Romana talks about it so matter-of-factly.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Dabir posted:

I've said it before but my big problem with Time of the Daleks is kind of a bad audio editing job, a lot of people sounded the same on first listen and I was never quite clear where everything is. There was certainly no impression given of the size of anywhere.

Yeah, I notice that stuff from time to time. It probably didn't stand out to me during Time because I was listening to that one on my lovely headphones. There was one instance in Zagreus, though, where an explosion sound simply cut off (probably because it went below what my proper headphones could handle). I mean, c'mon, guys. We can't all be audiophiles.

:ssh: I know, right? Even after everything I've said about Chimes, I'd never for a second doubt Shearman's talent and ambitiousness. I adored The Holy Terror and Scherzo. Two out of three is pretty good. Additionally, I found this review of Chimes while looking for someone who didn't love it. It addresses a bunch of issues I had, but there's also a guy in the comment section who claims to be Shearman. Seems believable enough. He definitely makes some good points, either way.

CobiWann posted:

Loups-Garoux is a personal favorite of mine, partially because I'm a Turlough fanboy, partially because I grew up playing Werewolf: The Apocalypse, and partially because the scene where the the Fifth Doctor stammers and get flustered when turning down the Carnival dancer while Turlough is in the background cracking up is one of my favorite scenes in all of Who.

The initial setup of that play is amazing. It goes naturally from the Doctor and Turlough hanging out to them chasing after a werewolf while also establishing the setting like it's not a big deal.

Jerusalem posted:

These three are such a great example of the rollercoaster ride that Big Finish can be.

The only really bad thing about Scherzo is that it sets high expectations for the rest of the Divergent Universe storyline which none of the episodes ever manage to meet. But then again, if Scherzo has only been good it still would have set higher expectations than the rest of the Divergent Universe storyline could meet :sigh:

Yeah, the whiplash from Zagreus is intense. The entire second season feels like a genuine season of Doctor Who with its seemingly random changes in quality. I'm really glad, though, that Scherzo doesn't hold back. The moment their hands merged was when I knew for sure. That's some serious Harlan Ellison poo poo. It's a good thing you're already warning me about season three, too. Not that I'm expecting every play to be Scherzo, but the difference in price really makes it more of an investment.

And More fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 23, 2016

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

vegetables posted:

This seems as good a time as any to say that Robert Shearman's not-Doctor Who short story collections are very good, and you should all go and check them out if you haven't already.

Which one should I check out first?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah, that really is Shearman. I know because we hang out occasionally.

Quite frankly, I have so little to do with Doctor Who outside of this thread that I can't even tell if you're mocking me.

I just thought the ensuing discussion in the comment section was quite interesting. Doesn't really matter if he's real or not.

vegetables posted:

Maybe Tiny Deaths, which I think is the first one. They do have a tendency to range from melancholy to astoundingly bleak, which I love, but which may be offputting to some.

Thanks! I'll see if I can track it down.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Nah man, I feel you. In fact I'll be the guy in this thread to say that I didn't care for The Holy Terror. The story itself was good but I absolutely loathed Frobisher in every way (his voice, his acting, his lovely accent) and I wouldn't listen to The Maltese Penguin even if you paid me.

I can't actually imagine Frobisher as a proper companion. All the goofy poo poo in that play just lulls you into a false sense of security.

Jerusalem posted:

I think Holy Terror is good, but certainly not great, and am a little surprised at the love it gets. For me what really kills it is the kid's voice. It just feels so.... forced.

The voice sold me on the baby. It sounds so nauseating and wrong.

CobiWann posted:

Ok, how about this? What's everyone dirty little Who secret?

I'll start. I liked Eric Roberts' Master.

I actually really like K-9.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I was talking about Dalek, not Fear Her.

Dalek being set in 2012 has probably got something to do with the audio play it originated from. It's based on parts of Jubilee, and in that one, the date is a crucial plot point.

Oh, by the way:

Jubilee
It feels completely different from Shearman's previous plays. One of the best Dalek stories. 5/5

Unbound - Deadline
Really nasty and witty. It may not be Doctor Who, but it wouldn't work in any other context. About as self-reflexive as is humanly possible. 5/5

And More fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Feb 29, 2016

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Stuporstar posted:

Let me put it this way. I hate Chibnall's work more than anything JNT ever did.

Even Dinosaurs on a Spaceship?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

GonSmithe posted:

Limited to 500 copies each, coming out in October 2016 and April 2007 in that order. :psyduck:

:aaaaa: They're pulling out all the stops, now.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

BSam posted:

Seriously part one was amazing. Almost like an old school Who episode. And then part two. The promise of that voice.

One of my biggest dr who disappointments.

It honestly would still be pretty decent if they had just cut before he gets cartoonishly blasted off into the sunset. A lot of series 9's issues could be fixed with tighter editing.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Toxxupation posted:

"enjoyment" and "Series One" are antonyms, though...

C'mon, that's a bit harsh. There are at least three decent episode in series one.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Rigsy can't be a companion. He's a good and responsible father.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I dont think that's really the right question, as the entire episode is crafted from the premise rather than being merly shot in that style.

It's not necessary to go all shaky on the viewer if you want to depict the artificiality of the medium. Inception, for example, is also essentially about creating a film. I think it would actually be more effective if the episode was really slickly shot and edited.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Burkion posted:

So whatever curse that hit Matt Smith that left him with A Good Series and then two awful ones has only gotten worse for Capaldi right? Like, that man is a treasure. Shame about almost every episode he's in.

That curse is called being on Doctor Who. Fairly sure you could replace those two names with just about any Doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

CaptainYesterday posted:

Class' cast got announced - it started filming today.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/doctor-who-spinoff-class-katherine-kelly-cast-1201744723/

That actually looks solid. I was worried they'd try to bring back Clara's insufferable class, but the actual cast seems decently talented.

• Locked thread