Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

This is like the saddest news in the world. I hope Capaldi lasts for a fourth season though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I liked Sword of Orion more than either Storm Warning or Chimes of Midnight.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

this is loving disgusting, I watch the Transformers movie at least once a year

e: soundwave is the best btw

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

If the 13th Doctor isn't a woman I'll be very surprised. I don't think Missy and the General were introduced for no reason.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Is that why it looks like the screen has been smeared by vaseline in Series 1?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

jivjov posted:

Hey; a lot of the old EU was really good!

Please don't lie; to us or to yourself.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

After The War posted:

Every person I've started with City of Death has become a fan of the series. :colbert:

This is correct, please make a new poll that is exactly the same plus City of Death please CobiWann

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

what's that? I was just on the phone with my good pal, Steven Moffat

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The first one wasn't great but I recently finished listening to the second War Doctor box set and it's much, much better. It gets across the sense of a Time War across very well: in the third episode, "The Neverwhen", it's just a regular battle but time is constantly shifting - technology and evolution both go back and forwards, with past/future Daleks and Time Lords involved. It's really cool.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

jivjov posted:

Not quite done with The Neverwhen yet, so maybe that will change my mind a little bit, but after the first two episodes of the 2nd War Doctor boxset, I'm still a little disappointed in how they're writing the War Doctor himself. John Hurt continues to amaze and impress, and he's got the "Captain Grumpy" persona down pat...but I really want to see hear the Doctor really be the "one who broke the promise". For example, the conclusion of A Thing of Guile would have played SO much better to me if the Doctor himself who put on the Anima device and coerced the Daleks into firing on each other, rather than having Ollistra do it. I think that flows better for an incarnation that would say "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity". Talking someone else through an unpleasant scenario, making them to the dirty work, just doesn't seem like the War Doctor's style to me.

I know that fundamentally he's still the same man...but every time the War Doctor behaves exactly like any other incarnation of the Doctor would, it really undermines the "broke the promise" thing; makes me wonder why the 9th through 11th incarnations refused to acknowledge that incarnation's existence.

EDIT: Just rewatched a bit of Day, 11 even says that the War Doctor was a man who "had more blood on his hands than any other". So far they haven't let the War Doctor directly do much killing at all...

"more blood on his hands" is referencing that he was the one that destroyed Gallifrey.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There's nothing wrong with it, I just found it funny. It doesn't help that the episode does nothing with the near-future concept, since it could easily be set in 2005, 1986 or 2016 without changing a thing.

It's set during the 2012 London Olympics.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Fingers crossed for David Tennant in River Song volume 3.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Gaz-L posted:

Huh. BF just announced the new Benny Summerfield/Who crossover set will feature Benny and the Third Doctor... David Warner's Third Doctor, battling Mark Gatiss' Master.

So is this set after Masters of War?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

You've been a fan for 35 years and Chibnall is the worst thing that's happened to Doctor Who? Have you completely forgotten the 80s?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

You have very unusual taste if you think he's worse than JNT. No matter how poo poo Chibnall is it can't be as awful as Season 24 (or Dimensions in Time, or letting Pip & Jane anywhere near the show)

e: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship is not an example of good Chibnall as it is in fact pretty poo poo, I liked Power of Three though

cargohills fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 8, 2016

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Yeah, Ambassadors is in my personal top 5, along with (in no particular order) Brain of Morbius, Mind Robber, The Chase, and Happiness Patrol.

What would everyone else call for theirs? Not necessarily the "best" from an objective or technical standpoint (I'll be the first to admit that the lighting in Happiness Patrol sucks and the whole production looks rather cheap, and that the Chase drags a bit in the middle), but a personal one. The ones you put on when you're in a guilty pleasure mode, not trying to prove to someone that the show is "good" (though certainly I think Ambassadors or Brain would do that).

The Time Meddler, The Web of Fear, City of Death, Vengeance on Varos, Curse of Fenric.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Stuporstar posted:

Why do I get the feeling this may end up like Colin Baker all over again? Capaldi gets only a couple up and down seasons only to get shafted with a poor regeneration episode because he decided he wanted to continue working rather than sit around while the show is on hiatus. Meanwhile a lovely showrunner runs the show into the ground, making weird dramatic plans for the story that will never come to fruition due to poor execution and executive fuckery...

:smithicide:

Chibnall is the JNT/Cartmel hybrid with half the talent. Basically, run.

Your Chibnall paranoia is starting to get (more) OTT.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

What Doctor Who characters have been recast?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Oh, of course. I just forgot about the Early Adventures (or whatever they're called) completely for some reason.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

God I hope so.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I was going to explain what a spiv was by pointing you to a character from Dad's Army but then I realised that wouldn't help at all.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I didn't like Caves of Androzani that much when I watched it. I also don't really care for the 5th Doctor so that might be why.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Mummy, Flatliners, Under the Lake, Heaven Sent

Also Into the Dalek, Dark Water & Death in Heaven, The Magician's Apprentice & The Witch's Familiar, Before the Flood, Face the Raven and Hell Bent.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Burkion posted:

Peter [...] mostly quality

hahahahaah

no

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I will admit that I like Tegan and Turlough

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The worst Doctors imo are Davison and Smith. I love all the rest of them.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Geoffrey Beevers should be in this image like three more times.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I don't remember anything particularly awful from The Walking Dead comics.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I think it's pretty good.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I don't think TWD is really all that comparable given that it's still one continuous story.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The new companion is getting announced at half-time during the FA cup semi-final on Saturday: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-04-21/new-doctor-who-companion-to-be-revealed-this-saturday

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Sorry, I should have realised that this is the Red Dwarf thread. My bad.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Both the Weeping Angels and the Silence in an audio format could really go either way. I could pretty easily see them being awful, with characters shouting "I am now looking at the monster!", but at the same time maybe it'll be effective atmospheric horror.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Because the same thing happened to Catherine Tate as Donna, and she and Faye Marsay are both really cool.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

You could just buy a region 2 DVD player.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Rhyno posted:

They already established he can revisit old faces, he can be number Thirteen and not a single person would complain about it. And despite my issues with the man I would love to see Moffat be the one to bring him back.

I really do not want Matt Smith to come back in anything but an anniversary special. I was starting to really dislike the 11th Doctor by Series 7, and only since he left I've grown to appreciate him more.

E: also having an actor who already played the Doctor to come back as a regular new incarnation would be really stupid, despite the Curator being cool

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

2house2fly posted:

I think it would be cool to have a two-doctor episode where Capaldi meets up with Smith and does the smug "oh man you have no idea what's going to happen to you" with him because he assumes it's his past self, but then at the end he regenerates into Smith and it turns out it was actually his future self the whole time. Making him regenerate into Smith again would he trivial to hand wave away, have him be kidnapped by a rogue time lord for an experiment or something.

That would in fact be incredibly stupid and dumb.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

No.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

McGann is the only Doctor who I'd be happy to see return on his own, because he was completely shafted. He deserves much more than he got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I can't say I enjoyed Classic Doctors, New Monsters a great deal. I liked the Angels story the least. If there's another box set, my biggest wishes would be that Tom Baker is involved and for Paul McGann to actually meet a new monster.

• Locked thread