Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I bet they've all got different versions of the BBC Records and Tapes logo at the start too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Oh good, the guy that wrote the two episodes that are bad in season 5 and the episodes of Life on Mars that are poo poo is taking over. I hope it's full of grim darkness! Maybe he'll commission some Lidster scripts!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

When was the last time you screwed all night? When was the last time you came so hard and so long you forgot where you are?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Just reading this made me feel embarrassed for a second.

Written during Colin's tenure too. Imagine seeing the twin dilemma and attack of the cybermen and writing that.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

I know people who are Torchwood fans and don't like Doctor Who.

You know Chris Chibnall!?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Clipperton posted:

This is brilliant, where is it from?

I managed to read the whole thing and I've never made it more than twenty seconds into Doctor In Distress, objective proof that Chibnall > Levine

From who magazine in the 80s I am reliably informed. A quick Google will also get you this from the same sort of time :

https://youtu.be/irIqTPQqgvQ

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

Hey, that's the beauty of this show. People like what they like and it's all good. It's not about the episodes so much as the Doctor...

(I say this as I'm in an argument on Facebook with a bunch of people who think The Rapture is McCoy's best story)

That's categorically impossible.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I mean, maybe the guy means the Michael Bay Transformers films? Because I can probably name a half dozen people I know that like Transformers and Who. And about as many that like either one or the other. Big Bang Theory is easy enough to dislike without making things up.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Acne Rain posted:

really Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye is a good comic to read if you like Nu Who and has even made several references to it.

MTME has Optimus Prime quoting Tony Benn. I would love it for that alone.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

gently caress it, get Kate McKinnon in there.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

remusclaw posted:

Had we an actual time machine my choice would be Stephanie Cole circa Waiting for God.

She was 48 playing a pensioner there, so she's probably around the age she was playing now. So it's fine!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Whoa, someone adapted Neverwhere? Is it worth watching?

I liked it a lot when it was first on TV. There's been a radio adaptation too.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

SiKboy posted:

Honestly, I disagree. Neverwhere hasnt aged massively well (and had a budget of about 17p and whatever they could steal from the BBC costume department recycling bin) but I still think its worth a watch. I'd put it almost on par with the book and better than the comic adaptation. Never listened to the radio adaptation because as much as I like Neverwhere there is a limit to how many formats I want to experience the story in. I would admit that growing up watching low budget BBC kids TV may be a prerequisite to enjoy the TV version of Neverwhere without being put off by the fact it looks kind of lovely in general because it was shot on video. Apparently it was lit to be put through some sort of film-simulating process but then they for some reason decided not to bother. Probably because that 17p had finally run out.

And if they had Patterson Joseph playing The Doctor EXACTLY like the Marquis de Carabas I would be bang alongside that idea.

When you say film-simulating, are you maybe talking about field removed video? Because if they HAD done that to it it would look even more dated now, as that's the garbage technique they use on poo poo like soap operas to make them look less cheap but which actually just makes them a blurry mess.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

Presented without comment;

E: (I know someone posted the link already...but god drat the art)

Is that even Barrowman's torso? It looks like they glued the mutton chops to his face and then his face on someone else's body.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm a bit reminded of that one Alex Rider book where the villain is this Bob Geldof stand-in whose master plan is to commandeer Air Force One and start a literal nuclear war on drugs.

Anyway, you know how in "Earthshock" there's a bit where the heroes sneak past a couple of Cybermen in the freighter's hold? Said Cybermen appear to be engaged in a casual conversation. I am curious about what Cybermen would have to talk about.

THIS PLAN IS DEFINITELY EXCELLENT.

I AGREE. EXCELLENT.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I thought everyone knew that it was a device created by Ian Psychic and Iain Paper.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The final EDA series was really enjoyable, I thought. The first episode is very silly and they do a reasonable amount of risk taking throughout the back end of the run.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CommonShore posted:

I just read Jon Pertwee's wikipedia page to see if he had any judo training (a question prompted by the weird black space fight in The Three Doctors). I am delighted to learn that he's part of the Ian Flemming / Roald Dahl crazy badass WWII super spy crew.

Barry Letts' autobiography has some excellent anecdotes about how much of a bare faced chancer Pertwee was too, if you like that sort of thing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

You caught me. I've never seen Four to Doomsday.

Whereas I have but I can't remember a drat thing about it. It's incredibly forgettable.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Picklepuss posted:

I don't know, it does have that wonderful moment where the Doctor has had enough of Adric's stupidity.

"Now listen to me, you young idiot. You're not so much gullible as idealistic. I suppose it comes from your deprived delinquent background..."

Over the following years I was disappointed that we didn't see that side of Davison's Doctor more often.

See that just feels like one hundred percent left over Baker script to me.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

NowonSA posted:

Seems like a regular old Dalek to me, maybe one of the leader Daleks. All the other Daleks eat up everything he's saying, while outsiders are like WTF.

He's Simm era Master. Adept at saying the things enough people want to hear to get into some sort of position of power with the intent of ruining everything when he does.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Some believe that the character of the Abzorbaloff/Victor Kennedy was a supposed to big a dig a Levine.

The interpretation I've seen that I like the best is that the LINDA members are all different types of Who fans, and then Victor/Ian shows up and utterly ruins it for them.

If I was at home I'd dig out the JNT/Saward/Levine comic strip as it's good to post that whenever the opportunity arises.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Almost one copy sold!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Tomb of the Cybermen, then The Mind Robber, then the Invasion, then the Seeds of Doom, then devour EVERYTHING you can until you indulge in the glorious 4 hours of the War Games. Then you get to enjoy the slowly creeping despair of realizing how much of his stuff is currently lost (it still exists, shut up, somebody just needs to find it. Somebody WILL find it).

Philip Morris has it all stashed in a bag under his sink. Everyone knows that.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Picklepuss posted:

Speaking as someone who's been a Doctor Who fangirl since '80 or so, this was the first season I ever watched all the way through only because I've made it too far to give up now. I only stuck with it out of stubbornness. :(

If you made it through Trial of a Time Lord for any reason other than stubbornness then I'm sort of impressed.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Trial is, aside from the understandable mess of The Ultimate Foe, shockingly mediocre at worst.

Ok, fine, I'm being a little harsh, but I maintain that Vervoids is unwatchable dreck.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

But I'm joining this discussion, and I approve of Colin Baker.

Like, a lot.

I do too, I just don't like many of his TV episodes.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Colin Baker's account located.

Man, I wish I could get paid to make audio recordings of stuff I did thirty years ago. Sadly no one wants to pay to listen to a grown man playing with Transformers.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

That's a Peter waxwork surely.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

And as noted, the "spend a season building up <x> as something big only to reveal it was ultimately meaningless and only had "meaning" because the Doctor's enemies chose to believe it did" thing was already done to somewhat better effect in season 7 with the Doctor's name. Which itself gets repeated in Time of the Doctor when Clara tells the Time Lords they're asking the wrong question when they asked for his name.

In fairness in the first season Bad Wolf was built up as a big deal and later turned out to be largely pointless. "Bad Wolf means Bad Wolf" is not much of a revelation.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cerv posted:

it wasn't really built up as much of a big deal though. it was just there in the background, right up until the finale two parter. so it only became prominent in any way at the same time as it was shown to be 'largely pointless'.

You're right, the show didn't build it up so it's not fair to judge it the same way as the hybrid references and such. It got built up a fair bit by the fans spotting the references though, so that's why I may be remembering it as a bigger deal.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Short Synopsis: The Doctor accidentally ends up the Boss on Celebrity Apprentice UK

Long Synopsis: Four applicants for a job of "Time Traveler's Companion" find themselves scrambling to keep up with a series of tasks that even seem to catch their prospective employer - the Doctor - by surprise.

I really liked this one, but that might be because I always like the silly ones. James Bachman does a really good turn here, basically playing Harry Biscuit from Bleak Expectations, who is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Godsbnt6JjY

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Also a baby getting shotgunned to death.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

They should just bite the bullet and ask Sean.

Hasn't he said before that he doesn't want to do impressions of his dad?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Picklepuss posted:

According to this Radio Times article he'd be honored to play the Third Doctor, but terrified at the same time:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-10-05/sean-pertwee-it-would-be-an-honour-to-play-my-dads-version-of-the-doctor

Oh awesome, then they should totally ask the poo poo out of him.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

But who would be his Roger Delgado?

Robin Taylor or Cory Michael Smith :v:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Well, it was going to be Victoria Wood

Don't, JaKiri... just... just don't, man.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Pfft, where are you going to find a cantankerous Doctor Who fan who much prefers the classic series, comments on anti-immigration allegories in the revival, has initials "L" and "M" in some order, one of which is "Lawrence"?

It's impossible I tells ya

This only works if you've written your own fanfic about totally cool rogue timelords who are totally badass and cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

God I loved the target books as a kid. I'm glad I didn't know about the New Adventures and just read Peter, Baker and Davison stories while I waited for season 27.

• Locked thread