Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Mod ROLE CALL: Which mod are you?
This poll is closed.
Butt Wizard 19 5.85%
Jean Splicer 19 5.85%
A Star War Betamax 98 30.15%
Gnarly Hotep 36 11.08%
Ralp 76 23.38%
Abe 77 23.69%
Total: 325 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'm assuming this invitation extends to Ex-mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Isaac posted:

Can we have collectable posting trading cards

GBS: The Gaythering.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I tap Vendagoat.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Jukeboxblues posted:

Wait... They just pick a person without telling them?

They told me beforehand and I said I absolutely wasn't interested and it would be a bad idea besides. Then they made me one anyway and in the space of two hours there were five new GBS threads about me and QCS was in an uproar and I was demodded an hour later without exercising a single mod power (except to visit the mid forum).

I wish I could have gotten a custom grenade icon for my troubles.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Hogge Wild posted:

you could have at least given me a 6h

I was gonnaaa!! They demodded me before I could.

An Applewhite probie would have been a serious collector's item I tell you what.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Like, a normal "lol kill urself fag" can probably be safely ignored, but "I'm coming for you in your home at 351W 81st St." Then yeah you should probs intervene.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

peanut posted:

It is I think, Case by case. Every coin has two sides, we must see the forest for the trees

the truth is somewhere in the middle here.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

dad gay. so what posted:

what is your role here exactly? what is your purpose? i used a starving hyena analogy but i think you actually think you are someone worth listening to, which shows a shocking lack of self-awareness on your part.

DGSW you sound dangerously close to caring. It's very uncharacteristic. Normally you're so detached I almost think of you as a piece of interactive abstract art than a poster.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Spanish Manlove posted:

ahahahaha you talked to me on steam and insisted I talked to you on mumble, so I did and answered some questions about modding but you obviously were too drunk to remember the one thing I told you: the posters suck and you could do a huge thing by dissuading the bad, hateful people from posting. But instead you did the opposite and coddled them, causing what you see now: where joy is gone and a misanthropic group of dorks run the show.

So I would report things to help, and you ignored them, so I just reported things to spite you and hoped that someone would do something, so ralp had to step in and take care of it for you. Then you started having slapfights with ralp because he would mod GBS for you and you got butthurt about that.

I dunno what you're talking about "joy is gone." I for one am enjoying myself tremendously. Thanks in no small part actually to Gnarly, best Pre Starwar mod.

I think the only reason GBS bothers you so much is because you only see in it the things you hate about yourself.
Also lol at how sad you are for appealing to inter mod drama. I literally don't give a poo poo if Gnarly talked to you drunk on steam and it's pathetic that you think sharing that would strengthen your position or make you look better or something.

So in conclusion:

a bone to pick posted:

I'm on #TeamGnarly

suck my drat balls franco

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

dad gay. so what posted:

it sounds like everyone pretty much sucks, except for you. why do you come here again?

The mensa forums are even worse.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Hogge Wild posted:

imagine a forum where everyone is like franco

See, I'd pictured it like everyone there was actually smart and all the posts were things like "yes, quite" and "indubitably" but Franco is all obnoxious and immature so they shun him.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Digital Fingers posted:

I'm personally highly impressed by mensa members. Did you know Albert Einstien would have been a mensa member if he wanted to be? Also Nikola Tesla could have joined posthumously if he was alive to join.

Also Aristotle, you ever hear about him? Yeah, forget about it, he would have qualified for sure.
Alot of smart minds.

I think of Mensa as the final test of whether someone is really smart. Oh, you got a high score on the IQ test but nobody believes you because you've never accomplished anything and behave like an idiot? Well luckily for you there's this card you can carry around to prove to people you're smart, and all it costs is a nominal fee!
A genuinely intelligent person is going to demonstrate it somehow by applying it in a visible way. They don't need a card to prove they're smart because all their money, bestselling books and valuable patents speak for themselves.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Helical Nightmares posted:

Fun fact: I have never seen a successful practicing engineer, postdoc or academic science professor or military officer brag about a mensa membership.

Isaac Asimov and Buckminster Fuller were members, but I think Mensa members who have made useful contributions to society are the exception, rather than the rule. Most of the names on Wikipedia's "list of notable mensa members" are pretty lackluster.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Helical Nightmares posted:

How could you not name Asia Carrera as a luminary? Her contributions are world renound sir :colbert:

Oh of course... How could I forget her many inventions! Too numerous to list here, of course.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Spanish Manlove posted:

it's more of a social club than an honors society :)

Yeah we worked that out for ourselves.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Spanish Manlove posted:

yet people grow turgid with rage trying to fall over each over for the sickest burn on the dumbest thing, iterating on nothing

You should post some quotes from the Mensa forums to show us the high level of discourse we're missing out on down here in the slums.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The Mensa Forums>Main>General Discourse>The Secret to Free Energy

Alcibiades posted:

I think you'll find an adjustment to the quantum flux field ratio is in order, old bean.

Socrates Junior posted:

Indubitably, old chap

Spock posted:

A logical solution indeed.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

You know what I don't think is cool? Mensa. It's a good thing there are no Mensa members around to contradict me!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
You know, I think that men and women are pretty much treated equally by society the way things are right now. We don't really need to change what works, riiiiiiiiiiiiight?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Wooooaah, wooooooaah! I'm behaving problematically! Woooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaahhhhh! I take your silence as endorsement, Franco!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Enfield posted:

oh yeah whys that

I bet that it's because being a mod (or cop or other rules enforcer) puts you into regular contact with the very worst examples of any given population to the point where in order to stay sane you begin to see everyone in that population as an offender who hasn't been caught yet, or you become a moral relativist.

• Locked thread