Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Serrath posted:

Any lawyer that doesn't laugh in her face with this story is probably scamming her themselves. I posted the story because it was funny; she's lost the 6k and I think she knows she lost the 6k. Dunno what she plans to do with the bitcoins that are apparently in her name but who even knows if they're in her name; I mentioned a few points raised in this thread to her about ownership and she started to pale and then start googling things on her phone.

She'll be fine, $6k is an expensive lesson but this sort of life lesson is priceless.

If she's not hurting for actual cash it gets easier. :) Last I heard Overstock was still accepting bitcoin, because their CEO is insane. http://www.overstock.com/ It shouldn't be too hard to spend 6k on linens, small appliances, home decor, and other yuppie crap. Stock up and be set for all the baby showers and wedding gifts she'll for the next 5 years.

He certainly kept a copy of the private key, so step one is still making herself a wallet only she can control.

Oh, and be careful of randomly googling what stores accept bitcoin. Amazon is on some lists, but of course Amazon does not accept bitcoin at all. There is a middleman company that will sell you gift cards for Amazon and a bunch of other stores for bitcoins. To bitcoiners this means "Amazon accepts Bitcoin!" rather than "Amazon accepts Amazon gift cards!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

wayne curr posted:

So how many women are involved with Bitcoin?

This many:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

wayne curr posted:

There's a 100% chance all these dudes taking Research Chemicals will have their bodies explode into tumours once they hit 50.

That's research for you.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

notZaar posted:

Water contamination is the REASON we invented beer and wine. People used to drink weak beer all day because the water would give you diarrhea or dysentery. This slapfight is retarded from both ends.

Booze can still be tainted though. Unregulated booze is famous for sometimes containing the stuff that makes you blind/dead.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Luxury Communism posted:

Bitcoin is a pretty nifty solution to a crypto-currency engineering problem. Reading Satoshi brings back memories of reading Bram Cohen's talking about the design principles of BitTorrent back in the day. Goons are pretty negative about what is actually a very fascinating novelty imho. :shobon:

It's fine as a software novelty, and if it had stayed that most of us never would have heard about it. It's the numbskulls who try to turn it into a get rich quick scheme who get well deserved mockery here.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Even the just plain dumb people aren't so bad. Luckily Bitcoin keeps attracting reprehensible shitstains who keep doing things like stealing electricity, gambling their kid's college fund, day trading with their sister's inheritance, losing family funds without telling the spouse, or evangelizing and trying to get old people to "invest" their retirement savings. At least most of the people into Pogs or Beanie Babies didn't try to take everyone they know down with them. Even before the outright scammers, druggies, and CP fans there is a lot of scummy behavior associated with Bitcoin.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Uncle Enzo posted:

You loving plebes, people didn't think it was possible to go supersonic, therefore it's possible to memorize 64kb of something (roughly 32 pages of text)! Plus they're offering 10 whole bitcoins!!!

And "Fits In Head" which I assume means easy to memorize.

If you google "Fits In Head" you get pages about seizures and brain tumors, which sounds about right.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It came from the amber thread:

McNerd posted:

Bitcoin loans startup Loanbase got hacked by using the MySQL instance from their Wordpress site to run their financial database.

Don't you hate it when your bank's Wordpress account gets hacked?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Silver95280 posted:

It doubles the block size limit; enabling the bitcoin nodes to process more transactions at a time.

Big butts.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nirvikalpa posted:

It's very easy to send LSD by mail and almost undetectable

So you're saying we should all take LSD?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

LordArgh posted:

guys, swatting is just as serious as shutting down a hospital. as a gamer i

I think we can all agree that people who DDOS comedy forums should die.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Buttcoin purse posted:

Bitcoin is similarly flawed. Satoshi (pbuh) decided that to add a block to the chain, you need to prove that your computer did some work which would take any computer a bit of time to do, so your computer couldn't just spew out blocks constantly (or at least not ones that the rest of the network would accept). That work was some hashing - guessing inputs to a hash function such that the output contains a certain length of bits set to zero. There are two problems here: you get a bunch of bitcoins as a reward for adding a block to the chain - supposedly because you're supporting the network - so people have the incentive to mine just to get those coins even if they don't give a poo poo about the network, and also that work you have to do can be sped up by throwing lots of equipment and electricity at it, so once again if you're richer than all the other people trying to add blocks to the chain, you'll get to do it more of the time.

It was also a 'fair' way to distribute the tokens, so anyone could join in the fun. Just leave your computer mining at overnight when you aren't using it, and soon you'll have some bitcoins to play with. Even if all you have is a 5 year old laptop, you could mine some coins.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Leperflesh posted:

Netflix currently consumes well over a third of peak internet traffic in the US (37% as of last May, so it's probably more like two fifth's now). The issue in Australia isn't really the metering, becuase as you said, Netflix can work deals with ISPs to allow it. The issue is the sheer total bandwidth hit on Australia's internet infrastructure. The country simply hasn't got the capacity for any significant number of customers to be streaming HD movies at 9pm on a friday night.

this is from last September, so only six months after Netflix rolled out in Australia, I believe? If adoption ramps up as expected, within a couple years the entire network is gonna be basically crippled.

It's not a problem unique to Australia, either. Many countries worldwide just aren't equipped to see their internal traffic spike a thousand percent in five years due to the advent of hi definition on demand video.

In glorious Canukistan I just ran Netflix and Youtube in low res mode to keep it from devouring all my bandwidth. Most of the time it's fine, I don't need to see the actor's individual skin pores and nose hairs.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

whoflungpoop posted:

Bitcoin isnt as bad as people think it is but this thread is one of those hugbox threads the admins have been talking about closing down soon so v:shobon:v

Hugs are good.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cheez posted:

No, I mean the voice speaking in the laughter.

I think it is the band leader, it sounds like his voice from earlier in the clip. Why he is doing it I don't know though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mrwuss posted:

bullshit your parents have never seen a check

Hey, maybe his parents are unbanked migrant workers or convicted felons who work for cash under the table.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

vortmax posted:

I mailed a check to my landlord every month for nearly 13 years. Last week she told me she finally accepts direct deposit, so I can send it from my bank account to hers starting next month. I have no idea what I'm going to do with all these stamps I have left.

Pranks. Or thank you notes, nobody sends thank you notes anymore. Or get a prison pen pal.

Combine all three ideas and send a prank letter to an incarcerated bitcoiner thanking them for all the laughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

quote:

"We are investigating the breach to determine what happened, but we know that some of our users have had their bitcoins stolen," the company said in a statement on Tuesday, the Guardian reported. "We are undertaking a review to determine which users have been affected by the breach."

I love the wording here. We weren't robbed, some of our individual customers were robbed. Some of our customers were not robbed. Too bad for those guys who got robbed though. Don't blame us, blame the guy who robbed you.

Can you imagine a bank claiming some particular customer accounts were robbed rather than the bank itself being robbed? Yeah, sorry, the sack of money with your account number on it was stolen, so your money is gone.

• Locked thread