Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Great moments in bitcoin #11) The time that bitcoin phone app that generated you a private address actually gave everyone the same address because it was asking for a random number from some random number website which had changed to only allow https access, so if you accessed it over http you got like a 404 error, and the app went "ok cool the random number is 404" and turned it into the same address for everyone. People were posting "help, the butts disappeared from my wallet" for a while before someone worked it out.

Professor Shark posted:

So she isn't able to cash them out herself and she's going to be waiting at least 4 years before he starts making payments on his most likely interest free loan of $6k... that guy totally scammed her, Bitcoin style

You know, I'm starting to think that if a doctor could be outsmarted by a bitcoiner, maybe I wouldn't want that doctor to treat me.

Hadaka Apron posted:

Anyone remember Logansryche?

yes..

lol instead of cash can I donate used resistors and capacitors? I seem to remember he used to think he could make some cash off them.

gnarlyhotep posted:

A fool and his butts are soon farted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Powered Descent posted:

http://www.beepboopbitcoin.com/

Pro tip: It's worth it to play through to the end. Keep playing until you've won.

Just to be clear, there are two games linked on that page:

"Advanced Bitcoin Simulator" is the one where you bite someone
"Bitcoin Mining Profit Calculator: Gaiden" is the one that pays homage to LucasArts and Sierra games, plus others

The first one was pretty cool when it first came out but the second one totally shits all over it (maybe I say that because I post in the retro games threads). Definitely play them both in that order.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Cowboy Pope posted:

Okay so a fiat currency is one that only has value by some decree, right? So chickens are not fiat because chickens have some inherent use to them, a dollar is fiat because its worth a dollar because someone said so. I think I get it so far.

Assuming I've got that right, why the gently caress are people saying bitcoins don't count as fiat? I don't see the value being any less made up because a bunch of nerds said it exists versus a government saying it exists, a lot less so if anything. This is a real question

That's a very good question.

Some might say that this is the irony of bitcoin.

People with a true understanding of bitcoin, however, will point out that bitcoin is BACKED BY MATH. Yes, that's loving stupid, it's fiat.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

JamesieAB posted:

My favourite butterfly labs video-Josh Zerlan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlWrmIqGs3Y&t=143s

4/5 he was pretty rude but he didn't say "cocksucker". Isn't he the guy who liked to call their customers cocksuckers?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Ayn Randi posted:

in addition to using customer funds as operating funds, magic the gathering online exchange dot com also had only one real-money account that all its business was conducted throug -, and it wasnt even a business account but rather mark karpeles own personal bank account

That's because the traditional banking partners that MTGOX needs to work with are not able to keep up with the demands of the growing Bitcoin economy.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Pochoclo posted:

What's actually funny is that bitcoin right now is being propped out by chinese criminals trying to smuggle money out of China, which has even worse legal restrictions.

Oh yeah.. and you know how they do it, right? They don't convert their money into bit-coins and then into USD, they buy electricity to power their mining farms, mine butts and convert them into USD. There you go, that's how you should be getting your money out of Argentina!

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

klafbang posted:

Are you also starting to feel that Bitcoin isn't sufficiently retarded in this day and age? Well, good news! Why not introduce the HumanCoin, it's like butts, but requires proof of waste of human life instead of computer time.

So can I pay for Amazon Mechanical Turk using Amazon gift cards? If so it would be easy (BITCOIN EASY*) to convert bitcoin -> stolen Amazon gift cards -> Mechanical Turk -> people mining HumanCoin. Someone should start Mechanical Turk-Giftcard Online eXchange.

Is HumanCoin backed by humans, so I can cash in my HumanCoin for a human? Humans aren't fungible, I mean you wouldn't want to cash out and get a goon.

*BITCOIN EASY: actually a pain in the rear end for normal people but somehow attractive to bitcoiners

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

So they said that waiting ten minutes for confirmations doesn't matter because bitcoin should only be used for big purchases. Doesn't that conflict with the idea of using bitcoin for micro transactions? Do I need to pay lights 30 minutes early in order to ensure that they're green by the time that I reach them?

No no no, you see the main bitcoin blockchain isn't good for quick microtransactions but lightning network sidechains something something wiki something something so that's as good as solved.

WhyteRyce posted:

If your buying a house you have to wait. Buying fruit you don't. So since groceries fall closer to that on the scale, obviously you don't have to wait for confirmation on that transaction

What about the fact that some people want Replace By Fee, which is basically a way to overwrite a transaction that hasn't been confirmed yet? Wouldn't that mean that every rational actor would go and buy a piece of fruit at your grocery store that doesn't make you wait (it requires zero confirmations) and then as soon as they walk out the door they replace the transaction with one that sends the money back to them (with a slightly larger fee than the first transaction)?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

revmoo posted:

Some of the new stuff that's being explored, like using a blockchain system to store contracts for example, is incredibly compelling from a CS viewpoint.

Why would I prefer to not store my contract in a filing cabinet and instead store it in a system where someone with power over that system can mess around with it?

Leperflesh posted:

The fundamental problem with Bitcoins - more fundamental than the flaws in its technology or implementation - is that it presumes that anonymity pseudonymity in a financial transaction is desirable.

Fixed, I think?

My Linux Rig posted:

But the network has warehouses full of ASICs doing trillions of hashes a second for a network that only accepts 3 to 7 new ones per second by design. Does that mean that old transactions have trillions of confirmations attached to them, and if not, then what's happening to the rest of the hashes? Are they just being thrown away?

That's the confusing part when you assume both of the processes are the same. If they are, then what's happening to 99.999% of the work being done?

That's the Proof Of Work bit - wasting energy.

Think about it like this: right now, you can post on these forums as much as you want and it doesn't cost you anything per post. The thing that stops everyone spamming the forums and making them useless is that we have moderators. But bitcoin is trustless - they wouldn't want to appoint moderators who could decide what was right and what was wrong (ignore the fact that they essentially have developers and forum/reddit admins who are in those positions). They'd want forums that didn't need any human intervention, so they'd need to come up with a way that a computer could verify that you weren't spamming.

One option would be to charge you per post. But what to charge? If you charge too little, then rich people can still spam. If you charge too much, then you destroy the bitcoin dream of "microtransactions" where you're only moving tiny amounts of currency. So charging isn't the solution.

Just to throw an idea out there, how about every time you post, you need to include a certificate saying you just donated a pint of blood? You can only donate so much blood in so much time so that would certainly limit your posting rate. However, if you're rich you could just get some slaves and make them donate their blood, and now you can spam the network.

Bitcoin is similarly flawed. Satoshi (pbuh) decided that to add a block to the chain, you need to prove that your computer did some work which would take any computer a bit of time to do, so your computer couldn't just spew out blocks constantly (or at least not ones that the rest of the network would accept). That work was some hashing - guessing inputs to a hash function such that the output contains a certain length of bits set to zero. There are two problems here: you get a bunch of bitcoins as a reward for adding a block to the chain - supposedly because you're supporting the network - so people have the incentive to mine just to get those coins even if they don't give a poo poo about the network, and also that work you have to do can be sped up by throwing lots of equipment and electricity at it, so once again if you're richer than all the other people trying to add blocks to the chain, you'll get to do it more of the time.

I guess if there wasn't a reward for adding a block to the chain, you'd still have some people with an incentive to engage in an arms race - people who want their transactions to go through faster or want to mess with other people's transactions or something. If you took the reward away now it would anger all the miners and they'd shut down their warehouses and we'd have the "frisbee on the roof" scenario where it takes a very long time for the mining difficulty to adjust back to the point where it once again takes an average of around 10 minutes to guess the inputs to the hash function.

I don't know what the solution is. Maybe there's no solution and bitcoin is hosed? Whatever happens I'm sure there will be lols.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Angela Christine posted:

It was also a 'fair' way to distribute the tokens, so anyone could join in the fun. Just leave your computer mining at overnight when you aren't using it, and soon you'll have some bitcoins to play with. Even if all you have is a 5 year old laptop, you could mine some coins.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that bit - if you didn't give out bitcoins as rewards, how would anyone get them? I guess Satoshi could have pre-mined them all and then created an exchange to sell them.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Thanks, that's an interesting way of looking at it!

hail orlaf

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

johnny almond posted:

http://www.bitcoingroup.com.au/2016/03/09/bitcoin-group-withdraws-from-its-ipo-and-asx-listing-application/

Short of it is: mining company tries to get listed on Australian Stock Exchange, the ASX does it's due diligence and demands insurance that investors wont unreasonably lose funds, Buttcoin-Group cries.

Are they the ones who were on their 6th listing attempt?

quote:

In preparing the working capital report, Grant Thornton, the independent accountant was required to factor in the reduction of newly minted bitcoins released on the occurrence of block halving in July 2016

Good, the reward halvening is working out exactly as we had hoped.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

akulanization posted:

Careful brother! While in winter the mount freezes, come spring the cryptorivers thaw and nerd tears wash down the mountain. This makes the going treacherous, the sodden cardboard as like to swallow and man as hold his weight.

lol

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Leperflesh posted:

That said, you only need to download the entire blockchain once. After that, each new block is 1 MB, and you only need to upload something when you either confirm a block (first), or are making a bitcoin transaction. So it's not that bandwidth intensive. But that initial download is gigantic: currently 61.5GB.

If you're mining, you're meant to be including transactions in the blocks that you add to the chain (although some choose not to), so you also need to receive (attempted) transactions from everyone on the planet (who is using bitcoin) right?

wayne curr posted:

Holy poo poo what's going on in China? Why's there so many god drat Chinese buying up coins over the last few weeks?
http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/volumepie/

Some bitcoins move on the blockchain so you can see them, but what happens on an exchange is internal to that exchange. Even though sometimes people move coins in and out of the exchange, the exchange probably creates new addresses that external parties don't know are associated with the exchange, so I don't think you can tell what the exchange's volume is by looking on the blockchain. I'm going to guess then that the exchange volume is self-reported and is just a huge lie to make it look like bitcoin is actually alive.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Guys I'll make sure the mods don't shut down the thread.

@ChangeTip @lowtxa 1 satoshi

I think that will change his mind :smuggo:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

@lowtxa Oh poo poo hi look I accidentally sent a tip to you instead of @lowtax, would you mind returning half of it? You may keep the other half as payment for your kindness.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Tomato Burger posted:

What if your offline bitcoin wallet was stored on the hard drive that just got ransomwared? :ohdear:

Stop spreading FUD, clearly if that happened to your :airquote: offline :airquote: wallet it wasn't really :airquote: offline :airquote: now was it? :smuggo: Next time please epoxy your Ethernet port like the instructions tell you to and HODL your coins properly noob :smuggo:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

waitwhatno posted:

It's your choice, change or tonal bitcoin annihilation

One bong at a time.

Adix posted:

will someone please just start the wiki about bitcoin people

Yes please, it turns out we don't just need [[Bruce (disambiguation)]] but also [[Category:Bitcoin users who obviously had literal psychotic breaks]] or something.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Maw posted:

Nnnnnnnnnnnn why is my country doing dumber and dumber things every day ffffffff

It's all the EU's fault :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Senor Tron posted:

edit: Or assassinated. I seem to remember that one scheme that came up often on the Bitcoin forums was people suggesting hiring bounty hunters to find anyone who cheated the community. Everyone suggesting that of course wanted others to pay for it.

That's just the bitcoiner version of regular internet tough guys threatening to kill someone directly. A lot of people cheat the community but I don't remember hearing many stories of actual violence occurring apart from thefts, and all the stories of people who died that I can recall were drug overdoses.

Anyway the BTC-USD exchange rate has dropped from around $650 a week ago to $530ish right now, roughly, but this is good for bitcoin.

• Locked thread