Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Could you please lay out your business plan? The first 24 months at least. What do you intend to do? What are the risks and challenges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

I hate yankees posted:

Do you have any relevant business experience for a venture like this? I'm talking about department head or MBA experience, not some cubicle warrior.

Hey now dude with the same avatar as three olives, he has an ETHNIC FIANCÉ, and flippo quisine is on the upswing accoring to his assessment. What more do you want? He is willing to quit his job for this! An idiot wouldn't do that, would he now?

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Also isn't there a rule against this, or does literally anythign go now?

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
I am sorry op that people compare you to doobie as you seem to have a slightly better grasp on goals and shortcomings.

I will however not donate. I have grown up in restaurants towns, and I have seen the rise and fall of many niche style food places, even when the market is in their favor. A fools errand if ever there was one. Niches aren't selling point, it's about doing the same drat thing everyone else does but better.

I will however spread the word, as I know a few people out there who would be interested.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Dr. Tommy John posted:

That thankfully that dude got his own place up the street and is gone forever.

why? hes a drat hero and the best thing that ever happened

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
OP can you explain trinidadian-philipeno fusion cuisine?

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I remember a time when poo poo like this would have been an instant ban. That was before Ozma ate all the cheeseburgers and collapsed into herself to form rogue black hole. A fine state of affairs this is.

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

Dr. Tommy John posted:

That thankfully that dude got his own place up the street and is gone forever.

No, but we've been lucky to have access to a pretty amazing mentor.

What is the relevant business experience level of the mentor? Also, a mentor can't replace inherent knowledge you learn yourself so if you don't have any business administration knowledge I would suggest you start looking into that before you open up shop. Relying too heavily on one person will be your downfall.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

how me a frog posted:

I remember a time when poo poo like this would have been an instant ban. That was before Ozma ate all the cheeseburgers and collapsed into herself to form rogue black hole. A fine state of affairs this is.

Umm... the OP isn't begging. He's inviting us to join him and his fiancee in an exciting business opportunity. It's another opportunity for us to affect real change! Goon generosity never ceases to amaze me.... weather it's buying life jackets for our boys in uniform over there, of building houses for hurrican katrina victims, or buying pants for that one guy in LF!

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
Thanks for some reasonable feedback that relates to our campaign and not just the evils of crowd funding.

We are targeting a niche, absolutely, but yes we are prepared to weather a storm when the trend shifts. The fact is, we love Filipino food and make a pretty interesting take on it; it's popular right now and we've been successful capitalizing on that interest. If we can't market to the appeal of an exciting trend, our popular dishes still stand alone, but the emphasis on sampling a wide variety of Filipino style dishes would lessen, with an increased focus on establishing our signature items. Interesting fillings for spring rolls are not what I'd call niche; it's deep fried food for cryin out loud.

It would be pretty monumentally ignorant for me to tell you all you're wrong and were assured success once we get the door open; I couldn't actually think that less. 80% of restaurants fail in their first two years. We don't think we have an automatic million dollar idea, we think were two people with some cool recipes who make good food and offer good service. I'm willing to bet on that, you don't have to be but I'm not sorry for trying. I don't play the lottery or gamble or speed, time to take a loving risk.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I incorporated an S corp last January and i made enough money not to get thrown out of the house i rent and keep my cars and stuff, but it wasn't as much as i wanted. Should I post a Kickstarter so that I can get money for some google ads?

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

how me a frog posted:

Also isn't there a rule against this, or does literally anythign go now?

guys plz fund my new kenworth 400k and i can provide a high quality road transport option

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

a starwar betamax posted:

Umm... the OP isn't begging. He's inviting us to join him and his fiancee in an exciting business opportunity. It's another opportunity for us to affect real change! Goon generosity never ceases to amaze me.... weather it's buying life jackets for our boys in uniform over there, of building houses for hurrican katrina victims, or buying pants for that one guy in LF!

Sorry Sir. I see my error now. You will forgive me, will you not? Sir? Or Madam. Is that the right word? I'm not presuming anything, English is not my first language and I was not taught the proper honorific for a woman in power in my publicly funded school. Any guess I might make cold be wrong.

I think the counterpart to Sir is Madam, but that might be because of sexism.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Our mentor is from a consulting firm that assists companies in expanding their operations, largely from online to actual.

I'm no longer completely ignorant of business administration. We were only doing festivals and stuff for the past year and not running a full location, but a lot of the regulatory challenges are the same. I know enough that I'll pay people to do what I can't, and hopefully I know enough to know what those things are.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Might give you 10 bux if you punch Alan Vernon in the back of the head (with a grand slam to his taste buds because I don't condone violence except to graphiti artists)

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008
Also, whether or not you're intending to dodge questions or not, there are a lot of people asking you the right questions and you aren't answering them terribly well. When you are planning a huge business venture like this you want people to punch holes all over your business plan.

You keep dodging questions about bank loans. Why? You don't need to be super specific. You realize you could start smaller and it won't kill you. Or maybe focus and push another aspect for quick cash, such as catering. On that note, what are your projected cash flows? How much business do you expect to receive? What about advertising? Where is your revenue stream going to come from?

Edit: ok you started answering some of the questions

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lmao to the guy who compared kensington / manhattan

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

8 grand seems like a very small amount, too. My parents opened a teacher supply store back in the 90's and it was close to 70k just to open the doors. A food festival where people are there primarily to eat and try new and (to them) weird foods is a much more conducive atmosphere to selling food than what appears to be a corner lot on a bombed-out street in Medellín

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
OP I got some questions but watch out, a few of these are real ZINGERS!

1. What is your favorite spring roll filling? Mine is mac n' cheese
2. You met your fiancee on imgur, the online image hosting website, can you tell me how I can go about finding my true love on imgur? For reference I'm in my 30s, my apperance is unsettling to women, and my family is dead.
3. Will you be offering Mac n' Cheese on your menu?

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

OP I got some questions but watch out, a few of these are real ZINGERS!

1. What is your favorite spring roll filling? Mine is mac n' cheese
2. You met your fiancee on imgur, the online image hosting website, can you tell me how I can go about finding my true love on imgur? For reference I'm in my 30s, my apperance is unsettling to women, and my family is dead.
3. Will you be offering Mac n' Cheese on your menu?

Are you willing to do a review of his restroom once he gets his hotdog stand up and running in March?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i guarantee the other hot dog vendor man we got already has a wife with a bigger jaw than this fellas wife, just saying

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you look so incredulous

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Projected sales were about 30k with the big festivals model, but counter+small festivals can reach up as high as a hundred just by virtue of continuous exposure.

projected profit also doubles because the festival model involves renting commercial kitchen space as well as booth space whereas the counter can produce food where it's sold.

And, obviously as a restaurant, if were not popular we'll fail. Is that something I need to make sure I say?

And one more time, we've put our savings along with borrowed money into this already. We've got about 15 in so far and another 3 or so to spend outside the kickstarter stuff. It is not cheap to start a foodservice business of any kind.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

you look so incredulous

What is that first little icon on the banner next to facebook and twitter?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

you look so incredulous

*the screaming sound a tie fighter makes when its shot down*

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think it's Outlook but i don't know for sure

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I'm not an expert here but I doubt 18k (or 18+7.5 = 24.5k) is enough to open your business and keep you from sinking in the first year if you're not turning a profit. Jesus christ.

e: maybe if you were running a truck

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Will you promise not to cum on the spring rolls?

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Instagram

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
hey op is there still a guy named Dorian who lurks behind the churro place and is he still a creepy schizo gay rapist? he might impact your business if yes namaste~

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

i think it's Outlook but i don't know for sure

Ok thats what it looked like to me too. Whatever it is, itss very polite of them to put those on the banner. That way if someone is looking at the banner and they wonder, "I wonder if tio rons has a twiiter account?" They can see the twitter logo, right there....on the banner!

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Drunk Canuck posted:

Will you promise not to cum on the spring rolls?

You have my most solemn vow.

And yes, if we don't turn a profit over the summer then that would get dire, but taking all your income and paying down your bills into the future for 6 months before you quit can mitigate that a fair bit.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
IRL banner ad

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

itt someone compared kensington market and manhattan fuckin lol goddamn

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Dorian claimed to work for the taco people by the way
And spoke in the first person plural.

Good fish tacos tho

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Azerban posted:

What aare those two things?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

If there's one thing you should keep in mind when visiting Kensington, it's that there is no local Starbuck's. This is a very friendly but very protected enclave where vegan cran-apple muffins take the place of Big Macs and anyone who so much as says the words "double mocha venti" might get into trouble if the wrong people are listening. While it can be a great place to bring the kids and spend a day exploring the world, this is not a shopping mall. It's gritty, it's real, and it's organic.

lol

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
this is the stupidest poo poo in the world op good job thanks for ruining my evening. rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Azerban posted:

In all fairness Toronto is basically knockoff NYC

• Locked thread