Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Why the gently caress would anyone want to own a restaurant? I've never understood this. Most people who do restaurant work hate it and only do it because they don't have much of a choice. That's why they're high all the time and have drinking problems.

Food service is hard work. It's sweaty and it's gross. Quitting my job to do that poo poo is like the opposite of some beautiful dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
in nfl rookie camp part of the orientation stuff is how to manage their money and what not to do with it and the first thing they tell them is DONT OPEN A RESTAURANT IDIOT

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Blazing Zero posted:

good luck with your hotdog stand

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

whoflungpoop posted:

in nfl rookie camp part of the orientation stuff is how to manage their money and what not to do with it and the first thing they tell them is DONT OPEN A RESTAURANT IDIOT

What if it is Foot-ball themed?

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

a starwar betamax posted:

What if it is Foot-ball themed?

especially not football themed *shakes head emphatically until blurred vision emerges*

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

HoAssHo posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone want to own a restaurant? I've never understood this. Most people who do restaurant work hate it and only do it because they don't have much of a choice. That's why they're high all the time and have drinking problems.

Food service is hard work. It's sweaty and it's gross. Quitting my job to do that poo poo is like the opposite of some beautiful dream.

Brain damage

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Make arroz caldo, that stuff is amazing when it's cold out. I'm not in the TO area any more unfortunately, but good luck.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

whoflungpoop posted:

especially not football themed *shakes head emphatically until blurred vision emerges*

Menu items have football related pun names????

Touch Down Nachos!
Umm.... football... soup

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Noyemi K posted:

Brain damage

Wanna quit my job to dig ditches for a living. It's just always been my dream. A real passion.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Efexeye posted:

If there's one thing you should keep in mind when visiting Kensington, it's that there is no local Starbuck's. This is a very friendly but very protected enclave where vegan cran-apple muffins take the place of Big Macs and anyone who so much as says the words "double mocha venti" might get into trouble if the wrong people are listening. While it can be a great place to bring the kids and spend a day exploring the world, this is not a shopping mall. It's gritty, it's real, and it's organic.

lol

I live in a similar city with an area like this. I don't think 8 grand would cover one month of rent, unless it's small and towards the edge of main street. I'm sorry for your loss OP.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
OP what are your stretch goals because I hope they including "stretching" your dollars because holy moley 8,000 doesnt seem like it will go very far!

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

if ur shithole restaurant opens i, social vegan, will come there and eat something w meat or whatever dookie squeezes u got in there

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
I'm going to send you some coupons OP, like one of those little wendy's booklets full of free frosty coupons and maybe some mcdonalds or burger king ones, and you can use these to get food for free and then relabel it as philipino and sellout your new stand

i.e. the frosty could be resold as a phrosty

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Also, OP, we've all seen lots of women with men who are less attractive than themselves but not often do we see the opposite. So, either good on you for loving your fiancee for her personality and seeing beyond her looks or my condolences on your low self-esteem.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
i hate every loving thing about this thread but most of all this self important panhandling gently caress of an OP

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
your lovely dreams are worth less than one of your dumb gay canadian pennies

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Iron Prince posted:

your lovely dreams are worth less than one of your dumb gay canadian pennies

we don't have pennies anymor

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

please factcheck ur ownz

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

(we had to round them down to 0)

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I tried to help the OP, but he did not want to gently caress off.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

op i get the feeling that your ability with words is probably enough to function well with the company you keep and that the company you keep is probably lazy unrealistic and full of poo poo like yourself

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
OP I thought we might need a special menu item to sort of comemorate GOONVOLVMENT in this project.. I was thinking something with vienna sausages?? Maybe a vienna sausage in a spring roll and hot sauce packets on the side? Just spitballing.

We could call it the goonroll

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
I made it through page 3 and the op is handling the onslaught very well so far

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

I made it through page 3 and the op is handling the onslaught very well so far

I think it shows he has the sack to make it in the cut throat world of egg roll restaurants.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
As a Filipino-American, the only thing I'll say to you is don't make your food expensive or upscale. Filipino food is traditionally cheap and large in quantity. I want me some cheap pancit and eggrolls, and you already charge more than my Lola's house, so it's not worth it to me if it's some odd concoction.

I've seen so many Filipino restaurants fail because they try to make it upscale food to cater to Americans, and lose out on the Filipino community. I feel like Filipino restaurants should be true to the roots of their food and trust that there are Americans out there who want authentic Filipino food. I have an American co-worker who said he tried dinuguan one time at a Filipino friends house, and would love it if there was an a restaurant around here that actually served that. The problem with Filipino food is that many of it's dishes do not look good or appealing, and they can be too salty or too sour. But that's the food, serve it like you would serve your Filipino family.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
Page 7 and op has kept his cool in the face of non stop insults. He really must be Canadian :D

I hope it works out for you but when I was in Toronto everything was expensive as gently caress. It would not be my first choice to open a business

On the other hand, maybe then people won't balk at paying $10+ for late night street food.

Your positive attitude is disarming. Good luck n god bless

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Do you serve balut or chicken feet?

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.
Doobies 2: Electric bunga-do

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

AgentHaiTo posted:

As a Filipino-American, the only thing I'll say to you is don't make your food expensive or upscale. Filipino food is traditionally cheap and large in quantity. I want me some cheap pancit and eggrolls, and you already charge more than my Lola's house, so it's not worth it to me if it's some odd concoction.

I've seen so many Filipino restaurants fail because they try to make it upscale food to cater to Americans, and lose out on the Filipino community. I feel like Filipino restaurants should be true to the roots of their food and trust that there are Americans out there who want authentic Filipino food. I have an American co-worker who said he tried dinuguan one time at a Filipino friends house, and would love it if there was an a restaurant around here that actually served that. The problem with Filipino food is that many of it's dishes do not look good or appealing, and they can be too salty or too sour. But that's the food, serve it like you would serve your Filipino family.

turns out moving to america means compromising any culture or values for money

plus this is Filipino-Caribbean so your Filipino-America status doesn't fly in this court of internet law

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HoAssHo posted:

Know a ton of people who have worked in/owned restaurants. Don't know a literal single one who enjoys it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
And are we just cool with people begging on gbs for handouts now, someone probate this idiot and his jamaican asian food swilling wife

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

The Puppet Master posted:

turns out moving to america means compromising any culture or values for money

plus this is Filipino-Caribbean so your Filipino-America status doesn't fly in this court of internet law

I think a lot of new Filipino restaurant owners see really expensive Thai places, and feel they can get in on that. On the other hand I can get Vietnamese pho and bahn mi for like $5.99. Although I think pho and bahn mi already have a good customer base who know the food, and it looks good. Filipino foods like pinakbet or kare kare, not so much.

Also, not really sure about the whole Filipino-Caribbean thing. I love me some Caribbean food, and jerk pork with rice and beans and spicy cabbage is my achille's heel. I'd eat that every day if I could, but I'm not sure how it would go with Filipino food.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
So can someone tell me whhy phillipeno food smells like microwaved dog food?

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
donated

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Same.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

This thread has reminded me that I haven't made pancit in years and I don't know why, so I'm cooking it this week because it's real good. So, thanks for that.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Know a ton of people who have worked in/owned restaurants. Don't know a literal single one who enjoys it

My husband owns a hotel with a restaurant in it and he delegates all the restaurant-related management to other people because it sucks and he's not even the one dealing with the food and the manual labor like dishwashing and stuff.

I mean, you have those people who are super serious about food - the guys who want to be the next Michelin rated chef - and I guess they enjoy what they do because they are so intense about it, but they are literally just doing the cooking. They're not doing prep work, they're not cleaning, they're not dealing with customers and they usually aren't dealing with the financial stuff.

If you read something like Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential though, there's definitely a sort of love/hate relationship with the profession too. Guys like him are so obsessed with food that they sort of have to do it despite all the bullshit that goes with it. Actually, even that's not true, because notice how Bourdain isn't a chef anymore.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
having a non-stable menu seems kinda weird.

edit: prep work and cleaning is kinda fun tbh

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 19, 2016

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

whoflungpoop posted:

Yeah a majority of restaurants and bars fail within a few years of opening due to reasons such as lack of practical experience.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
my buddy has some food trucks out in cali that he bought with drug money maybe try that op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Efexeye posted:

If there's one thing you should keep in mind when visiting Kensington, it's that there is no local Starbuck's. This is a very friendly but very protected enclave where vegan cran-apple muffins take the place of Big Macs and anyone who so much as says the words "double mocha venti" might get into trouble if the wrong people are listening. While it can be a great place to bring the kids and spend a day exploring the world, this is not a shopping mall. It's gritty, it's real, and it's organic.

lol

• Locked thread