Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

FuhrerHat posted:

oh hey i think i saw you at riotfest or something

edit: maybe it was the winter fair i dont know i cant remember

hi i know youre dealing with all these goons but i might have been a customer once can you confirm?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Tired Moritz posted:

having a non-stable menu seems kinda weird.

edit: prep work and cleaning is kinda fun tbh

Changing it up based on what's in season is a good thing to do (specifically if you state that they are seasonal items so that people know they aren't permanent menu items), but places that do that always keep some standards - the most popular dishes - on the menu at all times. Saying that "your favorite menu items will be back from time to time" is SUPER dumb. Like seriously, OP, please rethink this. It's gonna piss people off when they specifically go back to get that thing they liked the last time they were there and it's now not available but might come back...eventually.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Save money from the job you quit op you turd

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

a restaurant catering to stoners with hand food that's open from noon to 8 PM....hmm

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

the problem with kensington market is that you can only serve 1 clientele

the locals are broke and cheap and will eat your food all the time if its cheap
the tourists are rich and stupid and will spend $9 on an artisan bagel or grilled cheese, but only once a year, and only in summertime

so if you plan to stay open all year you need to bring your costs severely down to satisfy the locals
but then tourists wont buy anything because nobody trusts $2 meat skewers

and your busy hours are going to be 2pm during afternoon errands, and 2am when the bars close.

tough problem

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

HoAssHo posted:

Changing it up based on what's in season is a good thing to do (specifically if you state that they are seasonal items so that people know they aren't permanent menu items), but places that do that always keep some standards - the most popular dishes - on the menu at all times. Saying that "your favorite menu items will be back from time to time" is SUPER dumb. Like seriously, OP, please rethink this. It's gonna piss people off when they specifically go back to get that thing they liked the last time they were there and it's now not available but might come back...eventually.

as someone who worked in a restaurant with a flexible menu, it's really annoying having to tell people that what they want is not on the menu for some reason.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Yeah, that's why you put that stuff up as "specials."

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
shoutout to other to goons itt

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

spectres of autism posted:

shoutout to other to goons itt

Do you have stares in your house???

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

a starwar betamax posted:

Do you have stares in your house???

everyone stares at u in kensington market

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

OP has your mentor ever opened a restaurant? it's a very different animal from most other types of business

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
ASWB pls move this bad thread to coupons

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

ya u can smell the dreads of kensington from blocks away or that's just chinatwon

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
bustling kengsington merket

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
can i buy weed from someone in the restaurant because that's the only reason i'm ever going to be in Kensington Market

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

Stirfry like ur white mom used 2 make

https://youtu.be/-VcdMCcgtyE?t=1m58s

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

HoAssHo posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone want to own a restaurant? I've never understood this. Most people who do restaurant work hate it and only do it because they don't have much of a choice. That's why they're high all the time and have drinking problems.

Food service is hard work. It's sweaty and it's gross. Quitting my job to do that poo poo is like the opposite of some beautiful dream.

I think it's the quickest way to "become your own boss" type of business, which coincidentally is also the quickest "oops we hosed up and now we owe the bank 10k" I would own a quick stop diner if I could, but I don't know the first thing about opening and maintaining a successful business. Plus food joints are one health inspection away of being shut down forever, always.

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

lmao to the guy who compared kensington / manhattan

It's more like a tiny, cramped mini East Village. In fact it's a lot like St Marks Place - drunks, hobos, tourists, gutter punks and students. Actually I think it's one area of Toronto that's unique but gently caress living or working there. Also there is a huge drug problem and yes people shoot up in the park with the scary Al Waxman statue.
And now real estate there is through the loving roof and all the lovely landlords are seeing dollar signs everyone is paying through the butt for rent. OP better do some serious aggressive marketing to get people to try his food or else he's doomed.
Also someone here described Filipino food as unattractive and too sour and salty... I hope this isn't true!

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

kensington is a great place 2 buy the pants w the poo poo stains preinstalled but they also have coffee that is served in a fun and funky atmosphere

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
One time we had a restaurant that did this in our small town. They changed their menu daily depending upon what ingredients they could source from local farmers.

It failed miserably. People have a particular meal in mind when they want to go get food typically, nobody wakes up and says "im gonna eat whatever locally sourced organic garbage i can get ahold of today". If someone brings their friend their expecting delicious churros(or whatever they have in third world country) and you just don't have churros that day then you've got two disappointed people who won't be coming back.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

Ka0 posted:

I think it's the quickest way to "become your own boss" type of business, which coincidentally is also the quickest "oops we hosed up and now we owe the bank 10k" I would own a quick stop diner if I could, but I don't know the first thing about opening and maintaining a successful business. Plus food joints are one health inspection away of being shut down forever, always.

yeah its better just not to try, right wageslave?

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

YOURFRIEND posted:

One time we had a restaurant that did this in our small town. They changed their menu daily depending upon what ingredients they could source from local farmers.

It failed miserably. People have a particular meal in mind when they want to go get food typically, nobody wakes up and says "im gonna eat whatever locally sourced organic garbage i can get ahold of today". If someone brings their friend their expecting delicious churros(or whatever they have in third world country) and you just don't have churros that day then you've got two disappointed people who won't be coming back.

dumb and wrong

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

HoAssHo posted:

This thread has reminded me that I haven't made pancit in years and I don't know why, so I'm cooking it this week because it's real good.

Do you have a recipe you could suggest?

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

YOURFRIEND posted:

Lol plenty of restaurants change their menu every single week depending on what's good

I'm guessing the issue was your hick town and not the restaurant itself

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I think the typical figure for restaurants is that you should have enough startup cash to operate for at least a year at a total loss as you build a rep and figure out operations. Double that if it's your first restaurant.

In other words, op is hosed

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Why don't you start with a cart first? Seems like less risk, even if the reward might be lower.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

OldMemes posted:

Why don't you start with a cart first? Seems like less risk, even if the reward might be lower.

op already did a cart and it failed so he's stepping up and failing at something bigger

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

i believe

OP i made this in solidarity for u

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

did op ever say why he cant go to a bank

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Parallax Scroll posted:

it's complicated

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Parallax Scroll posted:

A bank wants their money back.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

gently caress da Mods posted:

yeah its better just not to try, right wageslave?

you got it!

*whip cracks

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BigBoss posted:

A bank wants their money back.

banks also expect a business plan and other things for a small business loan

5000 in free money from Kickstarter is a much better deal

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I haven't had filipino food besides pancit and lumpia, but I loving love vinegar so ymmv

I mean I once drank the stuff to show off when my friends were drunk

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
i got probated for saying something mean about your wife and for that I'm sorry OP.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I gave $5 since I want the tinderella story to have a happy ending.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Go to your local Asian grocery, and see if you can find Silver Swan Coconut Vinegar. I put some garlic and pepper in a little bowl of that, and eat it with almost everything. Put some on your eggs and you will never turn back.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Do you have a recipe you could suggest?

This is the recipe I used to make all the time. I'm sure it's not the most authentic but it's good as hell and real easy and fast. Also, fairly healthy. From looking at other recipes online it looks like you can change it up, adding carrots and garlic, using chicken instead of/in addition to the pork, etc. There's not one official way to make it, basically.

Pancit

1 boneless loin pork chop (6 ounce; about 1/2 inch thick), thinly sliced
1/2 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 ounces uncooked rice noodles
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 cup thinly sliced green cabbage
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 hard-cooked large egg, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons chopped green onions

Directions:

1. Saute pork over medium-high heat in skillet coated with cooking spray 5 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently. Add sliced onion and pepper; saute 4 minutes or until onion is soft. Remove pork mixture from pan, and set aside.

2. Soak rice noodles in warm water for 5 minutes, and drain. Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat; stir in noodles, and saute 2 minutes. Stir in soy sauce; cook 2 minutes, tossing to coat. Add cabbage and paprika; saute 1 minute. Add pork mixture; saute for 4 minutes, tossing frequently. Top with egg and green onions.

Yield: 2 servings (serving size: 2 cups).

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Didn't read thread but lol OP you are going to be bankrupt in a couple years if you do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
op closed his thread yesterday and hasnt been back since because even being mocked is like too much work and he already did work for a year and its time for him to have his odd smelling dream financed for free by others

• Locked thread