Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr. Tommy John posted:

I don't want to sound ungrateful or dismissive of concern of advice, but I will ask you this. If you had a promising business and a good opportunity that was going to provide even an outside shot at doing what you love every day a couple years ahead of schedule, would you take a shot?

Taking a shot is a great, the ambition and desire you have to charge forward is a good reason you've done well with the pop-up / festival stuff, and will be an asset when you can open your own place.

But to take a shot you need to have a loaded gun. You don't, you have a starter pistol with damp squibs. If you don't have the money to even open without going to kickstarter to close the gap, will you have the money to live on after a year of not paying yourself a salary? Because that's a completely normal thing for a new establishment.

My sister is currently on year 2 of owning a cafe & bakery. Very different scale and line of food, but the same requirements are there. She had a year of cushion, and she needed it. poo poo happens and that always means money. Equipment breaks. Your food supplier could gently caress you over -- for example sending a shipment of flour that had bugs in it so she was buying from costco while arguing with them about it. It takes a while to build up a real clientele. And she had some big advantages besides just money, like working in the local high-end food scene for multiple years so she had connections and was selling wholesale to other restaurants on day one.

I don't want to be mean to you just because GBS, even though this was not the best idea. But you are setting yourself up for a plan where you will need to be lucky with everything to not go under. Not just good at making food and connecting with customers, but lucky with stuff that will be 100% out of your control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Alan Smithee posted:

This is basically a kickstarter video

you're no abe challenger beta

and yet the video that is on kickstarter had next to nothing showing them cooking food! despite being a well produced 5 minute commercial for a pair of quirky mid-20s toronto bohemians and their quirky indie business venture!

OP was the business consultant you talked about actually a kickstarter consultant?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kitchner posted:

This post has inspired me. I'm going to create a kickstarter to back my resteraunt catered specifically at depressed and suicidal people.
but arby's already exists?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
the proper response when someone in GBS offers to have sex with your wife for $5000 is "ok deal" and then hit him with a toxx

• Locked thread