Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
:lol: at the idea of using Filipino food as a part of some fusion cuisine when Filipino food itself is already a fusion of Chinese, Indian, Spanish, Malay & American cuisine.

Isaw. Dinuguan. Pinackbet. Kare kare.
Bagoong, kalamansi, patis condiments.
Balut.
If you can't get people to like this you might as well just serve them Filipino spaghetti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Dr. Tommy John posted:

Add vinegar calamansi tamarind and maybe a little offal and you can make like 90% of the staples.

No culture knows how to take care of someone under the weather better than Filipinos. Sinigang could regrow a limb.
Arroz caldo is pretty much Filipino chicken & rice soup (albeit a little more on the porridge side). That's my go-to dish when I'm sick.

Pancit is pretty easy to make & a great gateway Filipino dish.

Adobo is also easy mode for beginners (vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, meat, braise until tender) with tons of variations.

Still kinda torn about your idea to fuse Caribbean with Filipino but I may be a purist because Filipino food can be really varied depending what region you're from. That said I always feel that some Filipino restaurants fail because Filipino clientele can get too hung up on "this isn't how Lola made it!" Then again, if you don't have that many Filipinos in your area that wouldn't be an issue. In a weird way you may be better off with a simpler/stripped down menu that can appeal to a broader audience. Chinese food in America is really nothing like what it's like back in the mainland, where dishes can also vary by region.

I do wish you the best of luck on your endeavours, OP. If I'm ever in Toronto I'll see if you're around & ask for a nice bowl of dinuguan.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Dr. Tommy John posted:

Our jerk chicken adobo sort of highlights that. Its fusion when you see it on paper, but it tastes like one cohesive dish that doesn't require an adventurous palate or familiarity whatsoever.

Now that you mention it this sounds kinda neat. What other fusion dishes do you plan on making? I believe there's some Caribbean goat recipes that could be fused with caldareta.

• Locked thread