Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I don't see really much demand for Filipino food anywhere because if you are not Filipino or related to someone who is, nothing the op described makes any sense. Combine that with the whole "changing fusion menu" thing in a highly competitive area of the city where you can't throw a stone without hitting some trendy restaurant kinda makes this seem like a difficult endeavour.

I love lots of Filipino food but it's def something you do home cooked since much of it is peasant food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Dr. Tommy John posted:

We've had a fair bit of experience getting the uninitiated to realize that Filipino food isn't all that weird.

I'm not standing in a tent screaming at hipsters in Tagalog; people are generally open minded enough to try "a spicy stew with pork and tomato" or "it's like a spring roll. Then we fill it with jerk chicken"

Filipino food is far from weird, since it's largely regional variations of food brought from mercantilism and colonization. Which makes it not super easy to market, since there are a million places to eat something similar. People are open minded enough to try it, but pay a premium for it?

There must be a reason that in a region where there is a huge Filipino population, there are so few dining places that offer those foods.

You probably would be better off making some of the foods you said you wouldn't (like poutine and burgers) and making some sort of canadiana hybrids because that would be unique and probably pretty delicious.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I asked my wife and she said Filipino food is becoming popular. Also mentioned it was generally way overpriced for what it is so maybe if you do big, cheap portions and rely on volume maybe you'll do alright.

Or you can do the Toronto thing where you charge 15 dollars for half a meal.

Toronto legit sucks for food and most entertainment because it's remarkably expensive for what you get.

• Locked thread