Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

a starwar betamax posted:

German is weird like that :science:

I don't know what your shtick is here moderator but I think I like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

HogX posted:

Op instead of trying to make fusion Phillipino food because it's a meme or w/e right now, have you thought about basing your restaurant stall on the idea of making food that tastes good? Like maybe the idea behind your food stand could be food that is delicious. Just a thought!

HogX, have you thought that perhaps Filipino food is becoming trendy because it tastes good? And maybe the idea behind our stand has already been food that is delicious!

But no seriously her food is glorious and pile on my idiocy all you like but eat it and be saved.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

This got reopened eh? Alright, lemme address a few things.

First up I didn't report anyone, no one who's been worth taking seriously has offended me or my delicate sensibilities after years in this degenerate paradise.

Second, I am not going to go into the particulars of our financials, but basically we got grant loan funding (which is an actual bank loan) for one plan, that plan fell through, and another opportunity presented itself that was better, but more expensive. Due to the terms of the subsidized loan thing, it made sense to try something like crowd funding to avoid some of the pitfalls that could arise from borrowing too much of our startup capital.

If you don't support crowd funding and see us as beggars or opportunists or entitled millennials, I am not here to refute your world view. I legitimately appreciate all the actual feedback about our business plan and we are taking the concerns about the menu to heart and figuring out how to address that. Thank you guys.

To people sure we'll fail because restaurants or because Kensington, again, not here to change your mind, but I appreciate that feedback and I've been here long enough to not exactly get too hot under the collar on these boards.

Filipino food is seriously great, and it's not all unapproachable.

And we did not appear at riot fest, but it's very possible you were one of our customers this year, we served a few thousand orders.

Thanks guys, most of you are the good kind of dicks, some I could take or leave, but I'm not the dick police.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Hilariously in the current context I never thought plat was worth paying for.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

I'm a 20 something white straight male with no accent or deformities.

Its not fair, but I have to gently caress up well beyond the realm of "tried to open a business doing what i love" to end up unemployed and homeless.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Add vinegar calamansi tamarind and maybe a little offal and you can make like 90% of the staples.

No culture knows how to take care of someone under the weather better than Filipinos. Sinigang could regrow a limb.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Full disclosure I cannot say anything that isn't the name of a food or like thank you and hello and poo poo so that video is likely to be pretty offensive

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

As for the merit of the Caribbean side, it wasn't solely because those are the dishes we eat together at her family gatherings, but I totally feel you about Filipino purists. It's interesting how much less willing some are to try our takes on stuff that's really familiar to them.

When we sat down and talked about it, talking about what makes Filipino food unique and recognizable and what emerges as popular within that culture, there were just a lot of parallels. Sour flavor profiles play a bigger role than people expect, ingredients overlap, techniques mirror each other.

Our jerk chicken adobo sort of highlights that. Its fusion when you see it on paper, but it tastes like one cohesive dish that doesn't require an adventurous palate or familiarity whatsoever.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

I meant that I can become reemployed pretty easily at a rate that can prevent our homelessness, as we live fairly modestly. Also, our business model is designed similarly, to stretch a relatively small amount of capital as far as possible. Were leasing a counter but we don't have to pay all the TMI associated with a location that housed only us. Because it's shared, the rent is cheap, and because we have some built in support from the churro traffic and a good deal of interest from our fans, were hoping to be able to make this work. We're keeping the overhead about as low as is actually possible, so while there's no lack of risk in any food service endeavor, but the inference that were completely oblivious to it is unfounded.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

It was a spring roll wrapper and some liver paste but the sentiment holds

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

I don't expect anyone to understand my desire to make less money for 10x the work. I've been working forty office hours and up to 50 food hours a week for the better part of a year, and the only parts that dragged were in the office.

I'm not trying to get to a point where I can pay people to run this and I don't have to work. Im doing this because I believe in my fiancée, in Filipino food and in the city. I can't think of anything I'd rather do than bunch over a fryer and sell anyone and everyone on how much they're gonna love menudo

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Rastapasta are cool and good and I recommend both them and Dirty Bird chicken and waffles to anyone who passes through

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Reece is"

Like a normal person

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

But by taking your coupon....

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

gannyGrabber posted:

OP do you have a hood vent lined up? Do you have the ability to install it??

Thankfully the location has two hoods up and working provided by the landlord.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Not sure, I've heard I'm going to be homeless and crying at doobie dogs tomorrow so you better check the thread before you plan a trip

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

I'm a blue jays fan. Because Toronto.

And I said we were doing lunch for 4-7$ because we feel the same.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

The counter we are renting was, I believe, empty last summer. A number of the previous tenants have moved on to some pretty successful spots of their own.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

It's fairly unlikely that we will sell fries. Bold, italic or otherwise

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

homewrecker posted:

I went to high school with your fiance, haven't talked to her in a long time but it's nice to see she's doing well, all the best to the both of you

That's real cool. Want me to say hi from anyone?

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Few things:

Ive done a small amount of front of house, and she's done a fair bit of catering in addition to the stuff we've already done as a business.

And yes, we plan to work twelve hours a day six days a week in a small hot space. It's less time than we put in for several events this summer, but you're right that sustaining it will be a different set of challenges.

We would love to have had 100,000 dollars in the bank to make sure to start our food court takeout counter without risk, as you suggested would be the bare minimum to start a fairly simple business. But unfortunately were just going to have to risk it and hope for the best, it's worked so far.

We would love to hire another cook to help us extend our hours and give us some time to breathe. It's one of the things that can then happen if we get funded and can buy equipment immediately instead of having to pay it off.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

I am truly sorry that you're both so certain that we'll fail and apparently so angry about it. We do, in fact, have a business plan that seemed to do fine when reviewed by some non morons, but you do seem to know what you're frothing at the maw about.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Okay, I can admit that this is a risky endeavor, one that is in no way guaranteed to succeed. I'm not sure where you got the idea that I thought that, or the idea that I think this is the ideal process, or the idea that it's impossible we've considered these things because I was snarky toward a thread of snarky repartee and/or calling my fiancée a transvestite.

The fact is, you are right about all of this. The odds are against us and we know it. We'd rather have taken more time, built up more capital and experience and opened with a larger staff and fuller operation. But the fact is also that we were offered a pretty grear opportunity, were keeping overhead costs in a place that was cheaper than our booth model, and we were successful enough in that model so far to have convinced ourselves we have a shot.

I don't want to sound ungrateful or dismissive of concern of advice, but I will ask you this. If you had a promising business and a good opportunity that was going to provide even an outside shot at doing what you love every day a couple years ahead of schedule, would you take a shot?

And furthermore, if you decided to take that shot, and were faced with either borrowing more or running a crowd funding campaign, would you not see any value in the fact that failing a kickstarter still builds publicity that succeeding at a bank does not? Why have so many of you immediately assumed that we couldn't borrow this money, or that anyone runs a kickstarter aiming to target mostly internet strangers?

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

It was devolving into irrelevance even more quickly than this evening?

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

What information have I given that leads you to these certainties?

What about the fact that we already work together in small spaces for more than 12 hours a day?

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

You only know one of those things though.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

To get the kind of feedback you can only get from mean spirited and distrustful interneters.

I may be defensive but I'm here listening and answering.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

These are excellent and well thought out posts, thank you both very much.

I maybe should have been emphasizing some different parts of our plan and being less dismissive of what you guys are saying here, I realize I may have been coming off increasingly indignant.

I refused to hear you about patience and executing this properly and more comfortably over a longer timeline, and I'm sorry if I seemed ignorant in that. But our understanding of what the costs are and our current financial standing are being harshly misrepresented here, even if I completely understand why.

We will not live or die with the money from kickstarter. It will save us some money up front that, as we are discussing right now, is worth at least twice what it will be when we could otherwise afford it. We will be fine through the terms of our lease if we have to rent these items, even if you're right that this time could be less than happy if we are struggling to make enough profit to pay ourselves.

We are saying the same thing here, except you're arguing as if I still may listen to reason and not go through with it. I'm saying what you are, were currently in an uncomfortable position to pull this off and some extra capital would be a good idea. But I'd appreciate at least a modicum of assumption that I might have some idea of how much we'll need for the first leg of a six-month renewable lease.

E: and I hardly posted this here expecting this, though I did want to expose it to some people more critical than those who already support us and see the feedback. I did close this thread yesterday, but I guess it was hilarious enough that someone decided it needed to be revisited and I'm genuinely interested in some of your opinions.

E2: and thank you for directing your vitriol at where it belongs. don't think I didn't notice

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Yeah, I'm tired. And no one who isn't being stupid here is wrong.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Would it be better if I outright said that if this fails we will borrow the money from a bank?

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Alright, I'm back from my cat vacation and would like to say a few things. Gimme a sec.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

First up, I have definitely brushed off criticism from posters who were offering sound and helpful feedback. I'm sorry about that, this has been an experience that I should have expected but underestimated, and some of this got to me despite my best efforts before any of the current posters arrived.

Next, you aren't wrong about the holes in our plan. Someone said something about owning my decisions like a man; well yes. We are impatiently rushing a schedule, and no one is forcing us to do that besides some minor circumstances unrelated to this thread. I recognize that you all have a right to an opinion about our business plan the moment I post asking for money, and I've tried to do my best not to tell anyone not to have that opinion. You can think were greedy entitled impatient idiots, hell you might be right, but the point isn't whether you'd do this, or whether you think I should have never gotten to this point in the first place. I was dismissive because we were already here, not because I thought your process seemed too hard or overly conservative.

You are right that we are rushing into this, that our plan is fraught with risks and potential disasters. I tried to argue this by shouting back the measures we've taken to try and mitigate those risks, but it's important that I acknowledge that I do share your concerns. I know the goon in a well story quite well, and I'm aware that I'm the goon and that I pissed off the guys with the rope. I just wanted to be clear that I don't want any rope, and while I may have tried to be too heavy with the marketing bravado to admit it initially, I'm perfectly aware of the chances of escaping this well through the bottom. If you don't wanna support that kind of foolhardy overconfidence, I do not begrudge you that. We have a chance, and none of you are wrong that it could be a better chance, I'm sorry I dismissed that idea. But overconfidence or not, were already doing this for the summer, and perhaps questioning that commitment led me to be kind of a shitpostin dickweasel

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

That's all I'll say, thank you to those of you who were cool, whichever side you were on.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Yeah, I was being too defensive to be courteous.

Thank you to anyone who backed us. I can't tell which of you are who, but it does mean a lot to us and we'll do our best not to fail spectacularly.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I gave you ten american dollars. Enjoy the freedom bucks.

Fojar38 posted:

canceling christmas and pulling from my kids college fund to support you op

dev286 posted:

Hell I gave Lowtax at least 10 bux, I gave you 10 bux too.

And then neophyte whoflungpoo, noyemi K et al who tried to make a valid point, thank you all too

Dr. Tommy John fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 20, 2016

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Sorry about posting the thank you before I went through the thread to edit in the names.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Accepted, might need like 36 hours though since I do still have that full time job.and the script can't be offensive. Otherwise I am game.

But I would like to show my gratitude for at least a lot of this thread. I've listened more than it seems.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Because Id rather be banned from a comedy forum than record a racist sexist or otherwise disgusting video of myself to post online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

OPs first mistake was searching the forums for popular kickstarter threads in an attempt to find out whether such things were posted anywhere on here these days.

OPs second mistake was not reading very far into the result of that search.

I missed the doobies thing tbh, now that I'm reading it it's fairly hilarious, with some uncomfortable parallels to be sure b

• Locked thread