Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Why the gently caress would anyone want to own a restaurant? I've never understood this. Most people who do restaurant work hate it and only do it because they don't have much of a choice. That's why they're high all the time and have drinking problems.

Food service is hard work. It's sweaty and it's gross. Quitting my job to do that poo poo is like the opposite of some beautiful dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Noyemi K posted:

Brain damage

Wanna quit my job to dig ditches for a living. It's just always been my dream. A real passion.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Also, OP, we've all seen lots of women with men who are less attractive than themselves but not often do we see the opposite. So, either good on you for loving your fiancee for her personality and seeing beyond her looks or my condolences on your low self-esteem.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

This thread has reminded me that I haven't made pancit in years and I don't know why, so I'm cooking it this week because it's real good. So, thanks for that.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Know a ton of people who have worked in/owned restaurants. Don't know a literal single one who enjoys it

My husband owns a hotel with a restaurant in it and he delegates all the restaurant-related management to other people because it sucks and he's not even the one dealing with the food and the manual labor like dishwashing and stuff.

I mean, you have those people who are super serious about food - the guys who want to be the next Michelin rated chef - and I guess they enjoy what they do because they are so intense about it, but they are literally just doing the cooking. They're not doing prep work, they're not cleaning, they're not dealing with customers and they usually aren't dealing with the financial stuff.

If you read something like Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential though, there's definitely a sort of love/hate relationship with the profession too. Guys like him are so obsessed with food that they sort of have to do it despite all the bullshit that goes with it. Actually, even that's not true, because notice how Bourdain isn't a chef anymore.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Tired Moritz posted:

having a non-stable menu seems kinda weird.

edit: prep work and cleaning is kinda fun tbh

Changing it up based on what's in season is a good thing to do (specifically if you state that they are seasonal items so that people know they aren't permanent menu items), but places that do that always keep some standards - the most popular dishes - on the menu at all times. Saying that "your favorite menu items will be back from time to time" is SUPER dumb. Like seriously, OP, please rethink this. It's gonna piss people off when they specifically go back to get that thing they liked the last time they were there and it's now not available but might come back...eventually.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Yeah, that's why you put that stuff up as "specials."

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Do you have a recipe you could suggest?

This is the recipe I used to make all the time. I'm sure it's not the most authentic but it's good as hell and real easy and fast. Also, fairly healthy. From looking at other recipes online it looks like you can change it up, adding carrots and garlic, using chicken instead of/in addition to the pork, etc. There's not one official way to make it, basically.

Pancit

1 boneless loin pork chop (6 ounce; about 1/2 inch thick), thinly sliced
1/2 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 ounces uncooked rice noodles
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 cup thinly sliced green cabbage
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 hard-cooked large egg, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons chopped green onions

Directions:

1. Saute pork over medium-high heat in skillet coated with cooking spray 5 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently. Add sliced onion and pepper; saute 4 minutes or until onion is soft. Remove pork mixture from pan, and set aside.

2. Soak rice noodles in warm water for 5 minutes, and drain. Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat; stir in noodles, and saute 2 minutes. Stir in soy sauce; cook 2 minutes, tossing to coat. Add cabbage and paprika; saute 1 minute. Add pork mixture; saute for 4 minutes, tossing frequently. Top with egg and green onions.

Yield: 2 servings (serving size: 2 cups).

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Honestly the fact that you have any experience at all selling people food puts you ahead of the game compared to a lot of people who just have some vague dream to open a restaurant.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

JakeP posted:

the difference is those people are way less likely to end up broke and homeless than the OP

Oh, I meant people who have a vague dream to open a restaurant and then actually try to do it without ever having sold anyone so much as a single hot dog.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

No kidding? I figured there were all kinds of exotic spices in there. THanks for sharing friend

No kidding. All the other ones I looked at online are pretty simple. Just fried noodles, meat, veggies and soy sauce, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

For what it's worth, I think the fusion idea is a good one. I can imagine seeing "Filipino-Caribbean food" on a banner and being like "oh, that sounds interesting. I'm gonna try that because I've never had anything like that." It's something to make you stand out.

I still don't understand what's so dreamy about standing over a hot stove all day, dealing with customers, cleaning up afterwards and constantly worrying about money but that's just me, I guess.

• Locked thread