Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MidnightSun
Feb 15, 2011

I am Truthless
Gather 'round, if you would hear the tale. What tale, you ask? Why, that of the fallen PC gamer, pushed from the perch on which he and his sick rig had stood, now relegated to a simple tablet by folly and happenstance.

Wait, this is stupid. :anime:

Okay, but seriously. I didn't used to worry about the games I played, at least in terms of system requirements. I dropped fat stacks to make sure my computer was tight and cool, and every time a family member asked what I was looking for as a gift, I would point to the swankiest new processor or sound card and assure them that they didn't have to buy it flat out, I would just like proceeds to go toward purchasing it myself.

These days, my means are a little more modest; I do all my work and play the occasional game on my tablet, one of those Surface Pro jobs, which means I can run more than app games for the first time in a while (of which there are some good ones, but the pitfalls of freemium are everywhere). Performance-wise, the device I have can handle more than the average tablet, but I'd still like to try and keep to games which will stop its little fan from spinning to death before its time.

So here's my request: What are some recent games worth playing which put little strain on a lesser computer? Specifically, my max criteria are:

RAM: 3GB
CPU: 2.5 GHz
Graphics: Preferably less, but no more, than 1GB
Storage: Not much of a concern, really, but being able to stuff a hard drive full of games and keep chugging along is always nice
Source: Steam is obviously a convenient way to get games of all sorts, but any reputable place to download from will not be spurned

Games which can run at lower-quality settings and meet these requirements are also acceptable. In return for good suggestions, eternal gratitude will be rendered -- mostly in the form of silent respect.

And yes, I've already played Undertale. Couldn't spend five minutes back on Steam without someone sending it to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Any of the Ys games will do ya if you like hack and slash action RPGs. Origin and Oath in Felghana would be the strongest recommendations.

Edit: And you're going to want to specify if you're have a gamepad available or not.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
Dungeonmans is my favourite modern roguelike. iirc a goon made it. It's challenging but fair, has some interesting mechanics, a good sense of humour, nice sprites and a cool class system. Available on Steam.

trailer: https://youtu.be/rCzhII2G85A

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 18, 2016

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

any source engine game

what genre do you like?

dstyle
Jul 24, 2006
get a sega genesis emulator and play toejam & earl

no seriously

MidnightSun
Feb 15, 2011

I am Truthless

dstyle posted:

no seriously

That's a great idea... I had almost forgotten about emulators there. Still looking to play more modern games, but drat do I love me some TJ&E!

To address a few questions: I'll play just about anything, but I prefer adventure/puzzle games. I've been considering investing in a game pad, especially now that it seems companies are finally picking up on PC gamers' desire to be able to connect such devices more easily

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe try out Recettear, it has a demo so you can find out if you hate it or not.

I dunno if you have a USB port but the old wired 360 controller has become one of the standards.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

dstyle posted:

no seriously

Also play Phantasy Star IV when you're done.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
How many CPU cores?

I can run Bethesda games from Fallout 3 to Skyrim on this laptop (quad-core AMD K16 at 1.8 GhZ, technically 3.5 gigs of RAM, Radeon R4 with 512 megs of VRAM). Can't run them great per se - I stick to relatively low settings, and Skyrim sometimes lags a little too much for my taste - but I can run them nonetheless. Most 3D-rendered games up to 2011 will probably run fine on your machine.

If your graphics card is AMD, keep in mind they suck for OpenGL; I can't run GZDoom of all things well because my video card is a Radeon.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
You like Tower Defence games at all? Most of them on Steam would probably work on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011
There was a 'netbook gaming thread' a couple of years ago that would be perfect for you. It might have been archived, now though - anything that ran on an atom processor and crappy GMA intel graphics card is going to fly on any of the modern tablets since intel actually make decent integrated graphics chips, now.

Meanwhile, I highly recommend having a look at Good Old Gaming/GoG - all set up to work with modern systems via dosbox or otherwise.

You can probably get away with anything that asks for some sort of 8800 processor. I can play street fighter 4 on an 8inch lenovo miix 2 tablet at a solid 60fps at the lowest graphics detail and even plug in an arcade stick.

• Locked thread