Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

is there a way to tell which characters u haven't looped with i don't have fish's b costume ;-( i think its just steroids i need to loop with tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah it's under stats on the main menu

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm now trying to loop with everyone. Wish me luck. I got to a good position with steroids and then whiffed it. I've got a good replay of it too, I'll upload it later.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxCUKGu62fU

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

lol

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i understand this game is a poor man's enter the gungeon

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Relin posted:

You misunderstand.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Relin posted:

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

*sighing as I draw my chicken sword* Amateur hour is over.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Relin posted:

you dont understand poo poo

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Relin posted:

so instead of dogpiling you i'll just say that aside from the twinstick shooter feel, they are completely different games. enter the gungeon takes binding of isaac's gameplay and makes it all pretty and kinetic (and also drags it out to feel like a slow rear end 45 minute slog)

nuclear throne's approach is to plop you in a doom style murder closet, give you a pretty powerful gun from the onset and let you go crazy for as long as you can survive. the pacing feels more hotline miami than isaac tbh. its a fantastic game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

nuclear throne feels like it fell out of an alternate timeline where people jsut kept making arcade cabinets.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

any tips and tricks for a new throner?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Try hitting the gold trimmed car with a screwdriver. Other than that you'll figure out your preferred playstyle as you go

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

melee weapons are very good, specifically shovel but also wrench + sledgehammer

strong spirit, hammerhead, trigger fingers, and bloodlust are the best mutations in the game but i also like long arms. because melee is good

all the characters are pretty equal you just gotta find what bonus you jive with. i like yv + steroids + horror

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I never got into a good grove with horror. Im always afraid to use his beam

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

horror mostly for its extra mutation + insane ultra mutation. the beam i just use to charge vault portals haha

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

fadam posted:

play a lot and learn what you like. avoid stepping on carpets.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

fadam posted:

look for a manhole cover in the sewer
when you find it, blow it the gently caress up

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

oddium posted:

horror mostly for its extra mutation + insane ultra mutation. the beam i just use to charge vault portals haha

whoa /... makes sense

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

fadam posted:

Loading screen tips discuss it vaguely but basically you can skip opening weapon chests and get a steadily increasing chance of finding a big weapon chest with more weapons in it in a later stage. You should try skipping the green rad canisters too

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

oddium posted:

melee weapons are very good, specifically shovel but also wrench + sledgehammer

strong spirit, hammerhead, trigger fingers, and bloodlust are the best mutations in the game but i also like long arms. because melee is good

all the characters are pretty equal you just gotta find what bonus you jive with. i like yv + steroids + horror

i think the best mutation is scarier face

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

goferchan posted:

Loading screen tips discuss it vaguely but basically you can skip opening weapon chests and get a steadily increasing chance of finding a big weapon chest with more weapons in it in a later stage. You should try skipping the green rad canisters too

skipping the rad canisters is a net loss i think

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Yeah you only want to do it once to unlock Horror

Melee weapons can reflect red projectiles and erase green ones, they aren't essential (except for in the post game that most people never even get to) but you might find they fit your play style

Gamma guts isn't considered a top tier mutation but it's definitely useful especially when you're new to the game. If your GG damage does enough to instantly kill an enemy that would hurt you on touch (small maggots, small rats in sewers) you don't take damage from them

Is there an enemy or boss that you're having issues with? In general enemies have small numbers of predictable moves, the complexity comes from having to deal with them all together

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

gamma guts + scarier face mean the horrible yetis die instantly when they ram you which is consistently a lifesaver

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

extremely steampunk posted:

i think the best mutation is scarier face

This is correct.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Thinking about it my game improved a lot when I got enough experience to know how much damage each enemy type can take e.g. knowing that Big Bandit takes five crossbow bolts or four grenades. It means I can prioritise enemies and methodically eliminate them instead of just firing wildly.

I still don't have a good feel for how much health guardian dogs have

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Party Boat posted:

Thinking about it my game improved a lot when I got enough experience to know how much damage each enemy type can take e.g. knowing that Big Bandit takes five crossbow bolts or four grenades. It means I can prioritise enemies and methodically eliminate them instead of just firing wildly.

I still don't have a good feel for how much health guardian dogs have
too much

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

congratulations on the cake.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gently caress guardian dogs

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

firing wildly is fun

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

firing wildly is fun
I love the bouncer SMG for this.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

rad dogs are how you tell if a weapon is Good

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

oddium posted:

rad dogs are how you tell if a weapon is Good
They're a good reason to get Boiling Veins and something that launches multiple grenades.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

my ideal rad dog weapon is pop popping a super crossbow into them. but that's obviously not gonna happen every run. gatling/assault sluggers and auto crossbow do pretty well. if you catch them mid jump you can stack melee damage like big bandit/big dog and i think a sledgehammer is enough to get them

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The assault slugger is my favorite weapon in the game. I use it all the time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

firing wildly is fun

On my last run yesterday I had something called like a Super Flak Cannon with shotgun shoulders and I used pop pop on 7-1 and instantly cleared the entire floor for the cost of like 14 bullets

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

oddium posted:

my ideal rad dog weapon is pop popping a super crossbow into them. but that's obviously not gonna happen every run. gatling/assault sluggers and auto crossbow do pretty well. if you catch them mid jump you can stack melee damage like big bandit/big dog and i think a sledgehammer is enough to get them

trying to melee them mid jump is not a great idea cuz of their weird rear end trajectory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

They jump fast and their crouch beforehand is really easy to miss. I'm more confident meleeing sniper shots and charging snowbots than I am rad dogs.

• Locked thread