Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

what i find works for avoiding rad dogs:

not standing still

not moving directly at them

now you too can avoid these dogs what move in a straight line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

tip: a lot of mutations vastly undersell themselves. shotgun shoulders for example make all shotties and sluggers blanket the screen in a million bullets, rad hunger sucks in pickups from a pretty huge distance that can save your rear end a lot

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

yo here's the thing about weapon buff mutations though. when you take a third you're guaranteed to roll Heavy Heart which suuuuuuuuucks. so you really can only take two or waste a mutation​ roll. and long arms/laser brain/bolt marrow are way better than shotgun shoulders/recycle gland/boiling veins

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
Heavy heart is good if you're playing robot

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

oddium posted:

yo here's the thing about weapon buff mutations though. when you take a third you're guaranteed to roll Heavy Heart which suuuuuuuuucks. so you really can only take two or waste a mutation
I've never run into Heavy Heart, what does it do?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I never really felt like shotgun shoulders did anything but I haven’t used it with any of the higher-level ones.

On other mutations, I still can’t work out of back muscle and rhino skin are traps like people say, everyone says they’re bad because you get less drops so they don't really help, but I feel like the drop rate is overall fine and I sit at max ammo/health as often as I do without them. im extremely stupid though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I never really felt like shotgun shoulders did anything but I haven’t used it with any of the higher-level ones.
It's pretty noticeable in levels with a lot of walls, but it doesn't do much in the desert.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i used to be Plugged in to the 'meta' of this game a couple years ago via people who are insanely good at it on youtube and i thought the consensus that back muscle was a top tier mutation

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

heavy heart increases the weapon drop rate by tiny amount

back muscle used to be good when it also raised the point at which you would get more ammo drops but now it doesn't. i would still take it over like eagle eyes or sharp teeth i guess

rhino skin is good but it means you need five med kits to recharge strong spirit from 1 hp. i'd rather have second stomach where you only need two

these are my many nuclear throne opinions

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

shotgun bullets deal extra damage on bounce, and on narrow levels shotty shoulders will make the pellets bounce rapidly 50 times all over the place killing everything.

if youve found a good bolt gun marrow is awesome but saying shotgun shoulders is bad..smh i reach the throne half the time if i get it and an auto/double shotty

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

also, combining back muscle with rabbit paw is still extremely good

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah I wouldn't take it without rabbit paw

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

extremebuff posted:

shotgun bullets deal extra damage on bounce, and on narrow levels shotty shoulders will make the pellets bounce rapidly 50 times all over the place killing everything.

if youve found a good bolt gun marrow is awesome but saying shotgun shoulders is bad..smh i reach the throne half the time if i get it and an auto/double shotty

if that works for you my dude then game on. i just don't ever find shotguns dependable, especially post loop

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
thinking about it, eagle eyes is probably one of the worst mutations in the game
the most mileage i ever got out of it was in a run with horribly lovely weapon drops, i pretty much had to take it to make my SMG (yes, seriously) worth anything
i guess you can like, combo it with recycle gland and a minigun but it's still never going to be as good as the regular mutation picks

also if one of the rad dogs closes range on you, best thing to do is move in a triangle pattern, change angle every time it starts a new leap
you shouldn't let them get close in the first place but it happens sometimes

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i don't like shotgun shoulders cuz i end up dropping shotguns as well. they're kind of rear end. thanks. the wave gun is sort of cool but u never see it. oh yeah and the hyper slugger is awesome but i've only seen that drop once

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

fadam posted:

any tips and tricks for a new throner?

experiment with all the different stuff so you can get a feel for it. pay attention to the different enemies' timing, speed, aggression /etc for the same reason. once you kind of get how it all works it's not hard to figure out like, X thing is what keeps killing me, Y tactic/weapon/mutation would be good for that

cover becomes more and more important as you make progress, but its almost meaningless in the first world so it took me a while to get that

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Gatling Slugger is a run maker for me, Shotgun Shoulders or not.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I love the sluggers even if the auto shotgun is maybe better

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
can you kill more than one enemy with a slugger?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

can you kill more than one enemy with a slugger?

impact wrists makes sluggers pretty insane yes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love flak cannons with shotgun shoulders and YV

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Shotgun shoulders and sawed off works really well in tight spaces like caves / labs, it's like the mspaint fill tool for shells

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

I love flak cannons with shotgun shoulders and YV

my first throne kill was the super flak cannon+shotgun shoulders and it pretty much obliterated it lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mine was braaap and super bazooka. it was hilarious

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

extremebuff posted:

impact wrists makes sluggers pretty insane yes
melting + impact wrists + throne butt

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

top upgrades for me, ignoring weapon preferences:

scarier face: SSS+ tier upgrade. 20% less enemy HP with no drawbacks is an easy pick. effective all-damage upgrade, gamma guts and melee weps oneshot nearly every normal enemy, and scary boss fights are that much shorter. better have a drat good reason not to grab this

rabbit paw: you see a lot more ammo and medkits. only becomes more useful as the mob count increases and guns eat more ammo

boiling veins: if you die to something in this game it will probably be an explosion. explosive weps become essential late in the game too so not worrying about blasts is awesome

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My recent style of play has been to go for stress and rhino skin and use huge melee weapons at 3 health

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i looped the throne and everything up to it with only wrenches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y0jEFewRAk

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.twitch.tv/bn03 streaming in a second

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

oddium posted:

very nice work, that was not a melee friendly 3-3

I've been meaning to do a steroids all-melee run for a while but it never quite came together, the best I managed was 7-1 with shovel / sledgehammer where I got sloppy and died because I didn't time my swings properly

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mysterious loyall X posted:

also with a melee weapon you can destroy the big green blobs before they span bullets or guardians and u still get items :thumbsup:

Crystal shield and blood explosions do this too

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

oddium posted:

Nice

When Scarier Face finally popped up in the labs I was like "oh thank god" lol

extremely steampunk fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 10, 2017

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Been playing a lot with Melting because I need to work on my reactions in bullet hell situations and it's really fun but also quite frustrating sometimes

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

in this video i cover what mutations are essential to looping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yL-aAqJqvE

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

oddium posted:

in this video i cover what mutations are essential to looping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yL-aAqJqvE

wtf

extremebuff