Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

"works on my machine" is the body's final response to terminal steam AIDS

they completely rewrote the engine right before the '1.0 release' so that it could work on the ps vita, and it went from fairly stable to crashing all the time

iirc they're fixing it? slowly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
i've played a bunch of both isaac (though only old isaac, not the non-flash remake) and nuclear throne. they're both really good games; nuclear throne is faster and leaner, which I appreciate, but that's a personal preference.

i'm gonna get back to issac at some point too, though, play the remake. idk that it has to be a competition between them?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

:rolleyes: it's not a competition. i was comparing two games that scratch the very same itch, only one does it way better than the other, imo.

that's the definition of a competition... imo they have slightly different niches.

tumor looking batty posted:

it crashes on me a lot and i dont think leaderboards for the daily and weekly work yet?

yep, broken by the release

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

isaac has much more involved resource management, with the bombs and keys and cash - much more in the way of strategic decision-making. it's not civ or something but it's still a different experience from nt, less exclusively focused on twitch reflexes.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Wormskull posted:

*begins composing a massive blog post style rebuttal including several tangential diatribes and more than one hundred individual instances of tautology for the low low price of 69.99*

this, but instead I'm brutally murking the OP with a series of high-powered Super Crossbow shots.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Robot Randy posted:

its weird that they make you carry a poo poo weapon to world 3 to unlock the main character

you must undergo great trials to become a Gun God.

also, it's possible to find a screwdriver on 3-1, theoretically

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

SM64Guy posted:

lol, well that's what i was told, sorry

i think it was true in older versions.

back muscles is still really good - as the game goes on, there are more enemies & your weapons use up ammo faster, so you end up both filling up & running out of ammo faster. back muscles helps a lot with that, especially if you want to run some ridiculous ammo-guzzler like the minigun or hyper rifle or w/e.

lesbian baphomet posted:

is patience the one where it avoids taking a mutation until later or w/e? i've never picked it because i dont really understand what it does.

it's what it says. no mutation this level, and next level you get to choose again from a new set of mutations. basically a delayed re-roll.

if you really don't like any of the other options, it's a reasonable choice. I take it occasionally.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

It just gives you a new set of 4 mutations to pick after the next stage. It's good when it comes up next to like Extra Feet and Hammerhead or w/e.

hammerhead is actually the strongest mutation in the game, though

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Frank Eufemia posted:

I finally got to the nuclear throne for the first time the other day and after I shot the skeleton the big laser came out of the middle and killed me. I stopped playing for the day after that.

lmao

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
iirc that happened to me too. it's been a while.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Ristolaz posted:

still havent beaten Little Hunter

he's tougher than the final boss, imo.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
just a matter of taste, i guess.............

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Just beat this for the first time. Always started random, ended up winning with Steroids, carrying the Hyper Slugger and Assault Slugger.

Congratulations, Gamer.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Now, time to loop.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

rediscover posted:

i never pick it

you should. it's possibly the strongest mutation

being able to create a safe corner at will is really, really, really good.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

oddium posted:

no

useful weapons are:

shovel
crossbow/auto crossbow/super crossbow
super plasma cannon

don't try to play with anything else really. always take trigger fingers + long arms

this is dumb and wrong. (unless you're going for high scores or something, in which case you don't need this thread's advice)

triple machinegun etc *can* be good, i've had builds that use them well - pretending that they're auto-shotguns is a pretty good approach, iirc. ammo consumption means they're definitely situational, but sometimes huge sustained damage is just what you need

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
https://clips.twitch.tv/bn03/OutstandingGazelleMikeHogu

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
in a later run, he asked "hey, where do i find an explosive weapon to open this manhole in the sewers?" wandered off, found a plasma gun, and promptly ate the grenade launcher he was holding in his alt-slot

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

extremebuff posted:

5-3 should be called "RIP" because little hunter stops me every time

happens to absolutely everyone

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

extremebuff posted:

the only gun i try to ditch asap is the machinegun..feels like its just the pistol on autofire. great sound tho

it's literally the revolver on autofire, but with a little bit of inaccuracy added in. it has ~15% higher dps than the revolver, so that's something, but...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

doughvakiin posted:

you: ah.. flame shotgun huh? sounds pretty neat
the chill experienced gamer, reclined casually in his chair: yeah its okay i guess, but when you compare the numbers against the othe -- you know what gently caress it, just read this 20 page Pastebin i wrote containing DPS comparisons, early game optimizations, and how to completely avoid dealing with the stress of learning and experiencing a new game for yourself

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

In Training posted:

you can loop the game endlessly, theres no real end. But beating the throne is a good first goal

worth noting that there are a couple of endings, of which beating the throne is one. (just, you don't ever have to take an ending.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I have never used a disc weapon without injuring myself horribly

they're basically joke weapons. funny tho

• Locked thread