Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
EDIT: SOLVED - See below

Problem description: Streaming a .mkv file from my NAS (running Windows Home Server 2011, so a Samba share) doesn't work. In Dragon Player I just see what looks like an audio waveform. In VLC player it says it is unable to open the MRL (then gives a link to it). I have logging on in VLC, pointing to a .txt file in /home, with Verbosity set to 1 - but nothing appearing in the log.

Attempted fixes: Tried copying the file from my NAS to the desktop and playing it in Dragon/VLC (it works fine in both when I do this and play it locally).

Recent changes: Yes and no, this is my first time setting up a linux VM.

--

Operating system: Linux Mint 17.3, KDE 64-bit. Using Dolphin File Manager to browse to the Samba share on my NAS (using Administrator credentials). This is running in Virtual Box 5 on my Windows machine (W7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1). Have allocated 2Gb of RAM and 25Gb of hard drive space to the VM.

System specs: Sandy Bridge core i5 2500 (3.3GHz), 8Gb DDR3, Radeon 6950 (1Gb VRAM). 256Gb Crucial M4 SSD.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Googling has just turned up people having trouble accessing Samba shares and that sort of thing.

I'm a lifelong DOS/Windows user, buy am toying with the idea of switching to Linux as my primary OS when I build a new gaming rig later this year. The idea of setting up a VM is to see if I can get it to replicate the basic stuff I do day to day - web browsing/email/streaming media from my NAS.

modeski fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Have you tried using Super User Mode in Dolphin when you access the NAS share? It might simply be a matter of the User account not having sufficient permissions to access the file over Samba.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
I tried mounting the share from the command line first (after a suggestion from a friend), and that seemed to do the trick; I can successfully stream media to Dragon/VLC after mounting it.

Just need to figure out making it automatically mount on boot now.

EDIT: Figured out automounting now (see http://blog.zwiegnet.com/linux-server/mount-windowscifs-share-on-linux-mint/)

modeski fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 21, 2016

• Locked thread