Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
OU is not allowed in the Big Ten because they'd get put in the Big Ten West and gently caress up our entire operation. Please join me in standing against this, Wisconsin fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Instead of Oklahoma lets add Kansas to add to our basketball Brand and give Rutgers someone they can occasionally beat so they don't get too discouraged and cost us our TELEVISION FOOTPRINT.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I want ISU in the AAC only so I can see their fans try to unironically claim that the only reason Iowa has a better record than them is that we don't have to play an AAC schedule.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

TipTow posted:

OU got in the playoffs this year but he knows long-term the conference is at a major disadvantage for playoff spots without a championship game

I really want to see evidence for this because it didn't hurt them at all this year and seems like it'd be a benefit at least as often as it is a burden on the conference.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
i think it got started when you literally marketed the conference as having "one true champion" and then didn't

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa State could never survive with the I assume like $0.25 a year they get from mediacom to air THE CLONE ZONE on the cable channel that usually shows high school sports.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

Actually didn't Iowa get legit mad about that cable channel and declare they were going to start their own even though the Big Ten Network owns all their rights? Did that ever get off the ground?

Pretty sure this is not a thing that happened, no. All of Iowa's games are broadcast on real tv networks so we don't need one guy in the press box wildly flailing around with a blurry webcam to watch the team play.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The theory was that Nebraska was a big enough national brand to make up for the small market but they're doing their best to destroy that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Wyoming is really pretty

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Bob Bowlbsy being allowed to run an entire conference continues to be really funny

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
there are people still mad about the blue turf in 2016 lmao

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I want Memphis to the Big XII so I will have a rooting interest because it seems like the conference race has been pretty exciting recently because there are like 10 teams who have a shot.

The 10 includes garbage fire programs like Kansas, Iowa State, and Texas so nah

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I am admittedly not an expert on the rivalry but I don't think OU and Texas would agree to being split up.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

Other than "being in Houston with access to lots of recruits" what makes you say they have better "core fundamentals"

It is literally just this. I assume Rutgers hangs "core fundamentals" banners in the stadium or something

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Streaming services are getting bigger but lots of people are still gonna have TV and live events like sports are still extremely valuable content. Like the ACC and Big Ten just got gigantic deals this year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That Nebraska thing seems like really obvious bullshit and Big 8 fan fiction. They're in a way more lucrative and stable long term situation now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kayakyakr posted:

Again, this is all *rumors* but Nebraska basically provides the Big XII's long term stability. Stability is not the biggest issue.

Yeah worked really well last time

Bill Snyder saying what basically amounted to "I miss playing Nebraska" is not evidence that Nebraska actually has interest in going back.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 26, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That's the Iowa State trophy, the Nebraska one is some generic garbage. I think that game will eventually be A Thing and be fun but it's not there yet so we wouldn't be losing too much. They're not some huge historic rival or something, at least right now. I was pretty adamantly against adding them when it happened. There just isn't any logical reason to think Nebraska would make that move and the only thing that really points to it happening is an old guy saying that he thinks it'd be cool.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 26, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I could see why fans would want to do it, just not the people actually making the decision

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Tears well up in the eyes of the Rutgers president as he proudly unveils a New York Television Market statue outside the stadium

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa state is actually really bad at wrestling

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

Those little pieces of the East still amount to more people than the big chunks of the West though. There are roughly 2 million people in the Cincinnati and Orlando areas

Of which only like 1.9 million are Ohio State or Florida fans, respectively.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

Sure, but presumably expansion would be about getting a conference network started. And that's all about subscribers, not viewers.

I'm not sure that works unless Texas is okay junking LHN

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
You better be nice to Iowa State or they'll leave and go to...uhh...how's Conference USA's tv deal these days?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Football has been the driving factor behind pretty much every decision the ACC has made since they started expanding.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Boy that is a lot of words to spend saying wrong things

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spacebump posted:

Iowa State is an important part of the Big 12 to me because Tulane's new AD has connections there and is probably trying to use them to sneak into the conference. I hope the real reason Fox and ESPN are mad is because the Big 12 told them they are probably adding Tulane.

If Tulane makes it into the Big 12, I'll root for Iowa State vs Iowa every year.

That's rude as heck, man, Tulane was one of the teams I coached in my (still on-going) like 75 season long NCAA 2004 dynasty

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Please tell me you're taking a new job every single year

Every four or five; mostly crappy mid majors aside from the initial obligatory Iowa stint. I'm also to the point where the game tries to auto-retire me at the end of every season, but if you exit and then reload from right after the title game for some reason it tricks it and you get to play another season. I think it starts doing that after like 25 or 30 seasons. I erased JoePa from the record books way before the NCAA did

I initially took a Sun Belt job solely because I was sick of playing Inexplicable Video Game Powerhouse North Texas in the title game every season and wanted to knock them down another peg

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 3, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't think OU and especially loving Texas are all that worried about finding a landing spot

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
So their response to that would be to break up the conference now instead of waiting and getting good TV money for at least a few extra years, if it breaks up at all? ISU isn't a good major conference expansion candidate either way, they might as well ride getting to be in the same conference as OU and Texas for as long as they can

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 8, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They're definitely not gonna win it but they could probably chill at that like Texas Tech level somewhere in the middle. They'd be better than ISU and probably both Kansas schools if Snyder ever retires.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
New Mexico lmao

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

drunk leprechaun posted:

The funny thing is I'm pretty sure New Mexico was considered, along with BYU, when the Big12 initially formed.

I mean on the surface it's honestly not any worse than having the second string schools from both Iowa and Kansas in, those two just got lucky and joined a billion years ago.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
CUSA probably still has better programs on top but Sun Belt is better balanced and gaining on them. CUSA responded to getting poached by adding a bunch of new or awful programs like Charlotte for the sake of getting big TV markets while the Sun Belt added actual football programs like App State and Georgia Southern

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They made a really bad coaching hire and aren't in a great recruiting area.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

CaptainYesterday posted:

They play in Los Angeles every year, they SHOULD be able to recruit there.

Agreed, just look at how Iowa State and Kansas are racking up 4 and 5 star recruits from Texas.

Colorado can try to recruit LA but they're directly competing with literally the entire Pac-12 to do so, including two significantly better programs that are actually in the city. And they're farther away from LA than just about everyone else in the conference.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Also while they should be better than they are, it's not like they were some traditional power. They had a nice run in the 90s and early 00s but the period where they were contending for/winning national titles was an outlier historically too. If you're a nontraditional power that isn't in a fertile recruiting area one really bad hire can do a lot of damage.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

Which is why Snyder and Ferentz need to fade in to the sunset any day now.

We're just gonna replace him with another Ferentz, sorry.

Iowa got really lucky in that not only did they make two great hires in a row, but both of those hires stayed with the team for multiple decades. Ferentz is tied for the longest tenured coach currently working (depending on how you want to treat Snyder taking a break for a few years), and before him they had almost 20 years of Hayden Fry. They've only had two coaches since my dad was in college.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 20, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

That always works out well.

He is also a former Bill Belichick assistant! Can't miss, obvs.

I'm still on Team Bert, but it's almost definitely gonna be Brian at this point so I guess just hope for the best. A couple of the Bowden kids were okay coaches!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Intruder posted:

If that's real I hope the Big 12 dies

I have good news

• Locked thread