Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

CaptainYesterday posted:

We all knew it was going to happen. The Big 12's presidents meetings February 4th and 5th may end up determining the future of one of college football's Power 5 conference. Oklahoma, West Virginia, and Baylor's presidents have all come out and said they want to expand to 12 teams, but that's not all. University of Oklahoma president David Boren has made...certain threatening comments. Boren has said if nothing happens, "then I try to think long-term." Apart from the expansion to 12 teams and the conference championship game, Boren wants the Longhorn Network, which has a contract with ESPN until 2031, to be replaced by a Big 12 Network. This may prove a problem. Despite projecting to turn its first ever profit in 2016, ESPN has no reported plans to buy out the deal with the University of Texas, which is worth $15 million a year.

This thread is for two scenarios:
a) The Big 12 expands
B) OU bolts the Big 12, and chaos occurs

Obviously, the American Athletic Conference is ripe for poaching, and any discussion about Big 12 expansion runs through there (although the ACC is a possibility, however small). Any two of the 11 full-time institutions would have some impact, either in conference footprint or strength of football program. Here's my take on the AAC's schools and their chances of joining:

POPULAR OPTIONS
Cincinnati - invades Big Ten territory, and can easily be A Thing
Connecticut - despite being bad in football, would bring northeast eyes to the Big 12 (note: this will only work if LHN becomes an all-purpose Big 12 Network)
Houston - high momentum in football
Memphis - like Cincinnati, but in SEC territory

POSSIBLY?
Central Florida - no history and went winless last year, but fertile recruiting ground
East Carolina - I guess????
South Florida - like UCF, but better
Tulane - New Orleans market, and that's it

AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN
SMU - poor football team, shares same territory as TCU
Temple - while having a resurrected football program, no discussion
Tulsa - the Big 12 isn't big enough for three teams from Oklahoma

There's also BYU and Boise State, but there's no way West Virginia OKs them joining the conference. After the Big 12's future is straightened out, ripples will effect the other conferences. Who would the American poach from Conference USA? Who would C-USA poach from the Sun Belt? Who would the Sun Belt poach from the FCS? For the first time in years, Conference-mageddon is seemingly imminent. WHO WILL SURVIVE, AND WHAT WILL BE LEFT OF THEM?

Can we come in please? Pretty please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Maxwells Demon posted:

The Pac 12 feels like it has the right number of schools and the correct schools in the conference. If anything, there is a slight pining for the round-robin back in the Pac-10 days.

So don't expect any moves from out west.

:(

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Maxwells Demon posted:

Is this coming from USC-fan Ross or SDSU-fan Ross?

SDSU.

I hate the Mountain West.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Thoguh posted:

North Dakota State, Wyoming, and the other affiliate Big XII schools for wrestling are super proud about it and go out of their way to point out that they are technically conference members. I assume Boise is the same way about the Pac-12.

SDSU is an affiliate Pac 12 member for soccer and I've never heard them really bring it up

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Tank44 posted:

Big problem for a 4- super conference approach is that 4 teams would have to go to the Pac-12. There really isn't any good options west of the Rockies to bring in new markets or tvs (SDSU, BSU, UNLV, BYU or New Mexico don't cut it).

:smith:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Hawaii is probably gonna lose football soon

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Toilet Mouth posted:

Yeah, I don't see the scenario I said happening, but it's more likely than Idaho or NMSU getting an invite from any existing conference.

I could see the MWC offering one or both of them if Hawaii goes under. Natural rivalries for New Mexico and Boise State, added to the fact that the MWC regularly makes terrible decisions.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Kick wyoming out of the MWC. I'd much rather the Aztecs have to go to Cruces or Moscow than loving Laramie

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

please let us join somewhere

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Literally gently caress Laramie

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Back when I was going to school I went to a bunch of away games for basketball (gently caress yeah student loans) and getting to Laramie was a loving pain in the rear end. It didn't help that we scored 9 points in the first half and lost when we were ranked in the top 15.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Honestly has seemed like the only sane thing to do all along to me. Sure other than maybe BYU there's no one out there to land that will be super profitable in the short term, but it seems like it adds a little protection for the next time Texas decides they want to jump ship or pisses enough schools off that they put the conference in danger again.

By waiting they screwed themselves out of a few schools that are better than anything out there now.

don't you want a west coast presence, big 12.

please god take our call

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I feel like because of our geographic location, the only possibility for SDSU is some kind of Pac 12 expansion and since I don't see that coming in the near future, we're pretty much out of luck.

Except for that one time where we joined the Big East for a week

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

kayakyakr posted:

Hell, we could probably offer CSU a quarter share and pull them from the MWC.

Or less. the MWC TV deal is absolute poo poo.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Bowlsby apparently open to football-only members in the Big 12, per Twitter. Guess that means Boise State is on the table.

I doubt it. The MWC won't let Boise's other sports stay in.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

For what it's worth here is my preference:

Houston
Colorado State
BYU (football only)
Boise State (football only)

Gain a big presence in the Mountain time zone, add two strong football schools with significant national followings that don't bring much else (BYU has good bball, but significant issues with scheduling/Boise isn't worth poo poo in other sports), add two more schools on the periphery of current Big 12 that are poised to take a big step up with P5 status.

I could be convinced to swap CSU for someone else, but frankly WVU can gently caress off with their travel partner whining.

It would be interesting to see what Boise would do with all their other sports

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

gently caress boise state

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

General Dog posted:

If they move I still think it would be to be the PAC, because they've flirted with it several times, and also where else is the PAC going to expand?

*raises paw*

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

CaptainYesterday posted:

Congrats, SA2K, you've made the list!

Moral victories!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Lessail posted:

I think I'm beginning to make peace with unlv never getting to the p5 and continuing its irrelevance in college athletics

Get good at basketball again soon, thanks

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Same

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Intruder posted:

Coogs need to crush OU this weekend so it'll look like the Big 12 is just shook

disagree

Adbot