Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

The Big 12 finally figures out what every idiot already knew: 12 teams plus a championship game helps playoff chances.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15449091/big-12-research-shows-expansion-necessary-boost-cfp-hopes

Yeah I'm calling bullshit on "analytics" that only have two years worth of data, and are trying to predict how a group of humans that uses bullshit excuses like "body clocks" will act in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

MourningView posted:

Wyoming is really pretty

Parts of it are. Other parts are not at all.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Dr_Strangelove posted:

The strip mines out west are not at all charming.

Hey guess where I lived and worked when I was in Wyoming?

Sash! posted:

Strip mines mean progress and a more powerful America for tomorrow!

Black Thunder puts out a hundred million tons a year. How's there even that much coal down there!? poo poo, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Kentucky must be hollow underneath at this point, if they're all played out by now.

Geologic scales can be fun to comprehend. And yeah there are mountains in central Appalachia that are so mined out that it's insane. WVU had some really interesting research a few years ago about how you model the stresses in situations like that when the columns of coal left in the various seams don't line up at all. Mining engineering is fun!

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

General Dog posted:

There's no reason they can't just arrange the schedule so that they play every year. You don't even have to give everyone cross-divisional rivals, just say specifically "well figure out a way for Texas and OU to play every year no matter what."

Yeah exactly. The Pac12 did that so all the California schools play each other every year and to make sure everyone got a game in California every year. I'm sure it's a bitch to set up, but once you get the system rolling it should work just fine.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

whiteyfats posted:

Only after FSU and Clemson threatened to walk if Tobacco Road kept trying to add schools with good basketball and lovely football.

Based on what? VT(a football school) and Miami(a for sure football school) and BC(ok so that's kinda a push but their football program isn't awful historically) were all added back in '04/'05. The latest three additions Pitt, Cuse, and Louisville are all mixed at best and if you asked me more basketball schools, though they aren't awful additions in football.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
The funny thing is I'm pretty sure New Mexico was considered, along with BYU, when the Big12 initially formed.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

CaptainYesterday posted:

There is no way Texas ends its other long-running rivalry via conference realignment.

You mean they won't go back to the way it was for the vast majority of the series? Texas and OU being conference mates is a recent thing. It only happened when the Big12 formed back in the 90's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

curried lamb of God posted:

there's a Popeye's in Ataturk Airport

When I lived in Perth Australia the closest Popeyes was in Singapore.

• Locked thread