Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Big XII is a dead conference walking, only thing that would save it is Texas giving up the Longhorn network and the Big XII creating a Big XII network in it's place, and two teams that bring a lot of money (TV market, alumni, etc...) need to join.

Nether of these things will happen.

Texas isn't going to give up the Longhorn Network. What is the Big XII going to do? Kick them out? Lol. Even if OU bolts and the Big XII dies UT isn't a team that is going to be left out when the other conferences start carving up the corpse. In the meantime its 15 million in the bank baby WHOO!!!

On the other side of the issue the best teams that could be picked up (outside of a pipe dream ACC break-up) are ruled out because they are too far from WVU or in Texas. Everything left are body bag teams.

I don't think the expansion faction of the Big XII would be this vocal about their complaints unless this is a sort of ultimatum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numlock
May 19, 2007

kayakyakr posted:

I am really curious if OU would actually peace-out with the grant of rights in place if their demands aren't met. It sounds like there is enough bad blood right now that they'll set up their direction for the expiration of the GoR anyway.

Doesn't the GOR become a moot point if the Big XII ceases to exist? I think that would happen if OU and a few other teams left.

Even if just OU left and the Big XII continued to Zombie on I wonder if the grant of rights agreement would hold up in court.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

I don't get the TV argument, seems like its way less important given that it seems obvious that streaming services are going to replace cable in the near future.

Also I find it hard to believe that people in Ohio (for example) will give a poo poo and start tuning in to Big 12 games just because Cincinnati is in unless they happened to be Cincinnati fans to begin with.

Also UT is fine letting in Houston now because they have no intention of staying in the Big 12 once the GOR expires, hasn't this always been obvious? Or is it only me?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

I wonder how much it will cost ESPN to drop the LHN, last article I read on it the LHN only hit the break even part last year and I can't see it expanding beyond that point with the accelerating abandonment of cable for streaming services. At some point its going to cost ESPN less to take whatever fine they suffer from dumping it than to keep it around, as surly a Big 12 network (that includes UT) makes them more money.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

I am astounded to hear that it is breaking even.

They spend almost nothing on it from what I understand, so they probably just funnel the subscription bundle money from people too dumb/old to get a apple TV or equivalent to UT.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The horns already shot down the idea of turning the LHN into a Big 12 network even when the big 12 offered to guarentee the LHN payout to them.

The LHN is going to be Longhorn only until the sun explodes or ESPN folds due to all the deals they overpaid for

Numlock
May 19, 2007

So per some info I saw this morning both OU and Texas are opposing any extension of the GoR.

Probably just figuring it would be dumb to extend it even if they stayed since who the gently caress knows whats going to be going on with TV in 8 years but also it probably means they are very interested in having a lot of options to jump ship.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

TipTow posted:

If we wanna go full-bore on the fanfic, permanent rivals:

Texas-OU (duh)
TTU-OSU (geography, ag/mech schools)
Baylor-Houston (geography)
TCU-West Virginia (worst matchup, joined Big 12 together?...)
Kansas State-Iowa State (geography/Farmageddon)
Kansas-Cincinnati (basketball? kinda sorta geography?)

Switch Houston and Baylor in the divisions.

TCU and Baylor would go together. They have a lot of bad blood between them going back to the SWC (Apparently Baylor burned down the original TCU campus or something) and still don't like each other.
West Virginia and Cincinnati should go together too because geography.

That leaves Kansas and Houston I guess but there isn't any way of dividing that up that makes sense and also includes everybody so whatever. Maybe Kansas getting clowned every year by their "Rival" would motivate them to not suck so bad at football.

Numlock fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numlock
May 19, 2007

I kind of just want Houston in the Big XII so I can see a game without having to drive 200 miles or waiting for Tech to go to the Texas Bowl again.

If they schedule it as some stupid neutral site game in some poo poo-hole like Dallas I'll just give up.

• Locked thread