Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The MAC officially kicked out UMass

who wants to expand to get some hot hot minuteman football in their conference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thoguh posted:

All the favorites won conference championship games last year as well, and the ones that needed to did so very convincingly. That doesn't always happen. If things had gone the other way the Big XII could have ended up with both Baylor and TCU in. Overall I think it'll be a wash. Some years not having a conference championship game will help, some years it will hurt, some years it won't matter.

man there is no way on the planet the B12 is putting 2 teams in the playoff, especially if Baylor and TCU are the 2.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pakled posted:

The fact that the Big 12 rules allow for co-champions to exist and it wasn't just a plot to try to get two teams in the playoff and/or gently caress over Baylor doesn't change the fact that conferences having co-champions is dumb and should not happen in the twenty-first century.

Part of that was due to the fact that they needed to petition the NCAA to allow them to have a championship game, and I think the NCAA denied it at first since they didn't have divisions anymore.

Naming 2 teams as co-champs was a pretty silly gamble though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

That goes double when you roll out a huge "ONE TRUE CHAMPION" ad campaign after having co-champs in 2012 and a near-miss in 2013.

Yeah this was the hilarious part, more than anything.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pakled posted:

Is there anything preventing them from having tiebreaker conditions to determine the champion if multiple teams have the same number of wins?

Not to my knowledge, no. TCU and Baylor both had pretty good arguments to make that year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah it's basically that Tulsa brings zero to the table in the big picture

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BYU seems to be all-in on being an independent so I tend to doubt it's them, but stranger things have happened.

E: Jesus christ the front half of their schedule is murder this year :stare: and they're going to do a shitload of travelling. Maybe it is them.
E2: they do have that sweet ESPN deal though so who knows

DJExile fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 20, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Devil's advocate here but I'd take UConn pretty easily to get their basketball teams in-conference.

E: poo poo, the women basically win the national championship almost by default these days, and Kansas/UConn a few times a year on the mens side would be rad as hell

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 20, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Big Ten never brought in Rutgers and Maryland hoping they'd make the conference better (for football, anyway). The sole reason was getting the NYC and Washington DC television markets for BTN, which in turn is bringing a shitload more revenue into the schools. Even if nobody in either market actually watches it, just being available to all those TVs is an enormous gain.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NIU gets kicked around every once in a while for other conferences but they were a complete unknown until 1998 or so, and their football prominence has only been in the last 10-12 years. All their other sports are afterthoughts.

it wouldn't surprise me if they did indeed reach out to the B12 but I have a hard time seeing them go.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BYU got themselves a pretty great deal with ESPN for all their home games (and most of their away, it seems like) now that they're independent. I could definitely see them wanting to pull back on travel though because holy hell they are all over the map this season.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's a clever idea to play around with, inlight of the DirecTV/P12net thing falling through, but yeah the odds of that happening in reality are zero.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tank44 posted:

SDSU in the PAC is like HOU in BXII. They make sense in the footprint but do not add new tvs.

Who officially accounts for the Houston TV market right now, Texas? I don't mean that to sound snarky, I just honestly don't know.

E: And I know Houston isn't going to have nearly the fanbase size Texas does, I'm asking this more from a broadcast perspective.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 21, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

OK yeah I meant that from a B12 perspective, i know college station isn't far outside of town

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah BG and Toledo have been in separate divisions for a while now and we still play every year. It just means there are other cross-division teams we don't play as often.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dr_Strangelove posted:

This is a M A C T I O N post

drat right :frogc00l:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah even in the relative short term, those deals can be lucrative as poo poo. The B1G doesn't give a poo poo that nobody in DC or NYC is going to watch BTN, they just need to be available to all those televisions.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I'd be blown away if Nebraska came back now.

E: Gauging interest would be one thing and I could at least see them putting out feelers just to figure out what kind of deal they could get, but I really can't see them ultimately going back.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Goetta posted:

I think the Big XII should add the Cincinnati Bearcats

Here is a reason why I think the Bearcats would be a good fit:

holy poo poo that's amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

• Locked thread