Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Goetta posted:

Man Cincy doesn't even want to be in a big conference... AAC sounds just fine to me.... pssh who even owns a tv these days anyways? Losers, probably... yeah ....

I've been waiting for an excuse to use this again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pakled posted:

The fact that the Big 12 rules allow for co-champions to exist and it wasn't just a plot to try to get two teams in the playoff and/or gently caress over Baylor doesn't change the fact that conferences having co-champions is dumb and should not happen in the twenty-first century.

What about the fact that the rules allowed for that and they spent an entire season putting "One True Champion" commercials on my television? Who will pay for that?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Thoguh posted:

Oklahoma makes more than every other school not named Texas though. If things were equal they'd take a pay cut. And once you add their tier 3 rights they are on par with any conference they might run to. If they follow through on this they're following the A&M and Nebraska pattern of bitching about situations they helped create and using that as an excuse to bolt.

Mostly though, at this point, it seems like Boren spouting off for the sake of getting his name in the press. He's gonna die on the sword of a dieing industry with his conference network schtik.

I enjoy how this situation somehow forces you to become a de facto Texas fan. Oh no, it isn't Texas's fault, it's those dirty Aggies and Huskers.

To be fair gently caress both of those fan bases but you know what I mean.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

PostNouveau posted:

Why's that? Because ISU is the new Cincy if the Big 12 isn't held together solely by UT hubris?

Well there's that, but also I could imagine groverat making that exact post, except creepier.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ross Angeles posted:

Hawaii is probably gonna lose football soon

Which is a damned shame because it's a shame when anyone loses football, but I get the feeling that's the best thing for that school.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Well with Colorado at least I'm sure there was some hope they could go back to some semblance of what they were from 85-2002 or so (or through most of their history really). I mean that's a historically, well not great, but pretty good program.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kayakyakr posted:

Cincinnati is the 4th most popular school in their own city.

I'm assuming you mean state, otherwise I'm going to need you to list these off for me. Xavier Football would be a big get I'm sure, they're undefeated since 1973.

If I were the Big 12 and had it to do over again I'd grab Louisville, Cinci, and WVU back when the conference almost died. And if there was ever anything at all to the FSU/GT rumors I would have been all over that poo poo begging them to come.

e: I agree Houston is a useless add for the Big 12

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 5, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I suppose I was reading that as 'fourth most popular school actually in the city of Cincinnati.' Point taken now.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Toilet Mouth posted:

There's infighting at Oklahoma over potential Big 12 expansion

So apparently even the OU regents don't have Boren's back on this, if this is to be believed. His one-man crusade for expansion just makes less and less sense, I have no feel for what his angle is here.

quote:

Weitzenhoffer added he is an old-school football fan, preferring the old bowl system ruled by the human polls.

"Based on what happened to us in the Orange Bowl, even if we won that [playoff] game, we would not be able to field a team that week," Weitzenhoffer said.

"Our quarterback [Baker Mayfield] -- I was on the sidelines -- was totally out of it. Our running backs were finished. I just think a playoff also added another element of risk."

Oh, so an idiot doesn't like expansion. How odd.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Honestly has seemed like the only sane thing to do all along to me. Sure other than maybe BYU there's no one out there to land that will be super profitable in the short term, but it seems like it adds a little protection for the next time Texas decides they want to jump ship or pisses enough schools off that they put the conference in danger again.

By waiting they screwed themselves out of a few schools that are better than anything out there now.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kayakyakr posted:

The only school that we screwed ourselves out of was Lousiville, and that was because TCU got in the ear of UT's AD. The expansion targets now are the same as they have been since the last round settled.

Pitt was around weren't they? Not that they're some great pickup either but I think I'd choose them over some schools that you're going to be looking at if they actually do add four. Louisville's the main one you missed though, true.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Thoguh posted:

Tulane, NDSU, Missouri, Nebraska

Kick the Texas schools out, bring back Nebraska Missouri and Colorado.

Sure it's suicide financially but I grew up on the Big 8 damnit. Bring back the SWC too and let them cheat as much as they want to.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bad news: one of them is Colorado.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I actually didn't consider Colorado State, are they a possibility at all? They fit well enough geographically at least, although like others have said I'd imagine you'd prefer to fill in some space between the rest of the conference and WVU if you're thinking of location.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kayakyakr posted:

Houston's best chance is if more stuff comes out about Baylor, they get kicked out of the conference, and the Big XII says, OK Houston, you can come in.

I mean, this has my vote to happen tomorrow.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

The Big 12 as currently constituted has no conference network and is dead the day Texas or OU decides to leave, not before or after.

So is your point that everyone should just grab what cash they can before things crumble apart? Because the second it's more profitable for Texas to leave they're gone.

At the very least adding 'worthless dogshit' lets you maybe have a 'worthless dogshit' conference after Texas ditches you.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I could see a set of Nebraska people who miss the OU rivalry enough to sort of want to come back, but really that's just another thing Texas hosed up for them so....

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Thermos H Christ posted:

I'm kind of torn here because I don't want to support a lot of the stuff BYU stands for, but my extreme dislike of BYU makes me want to see my team beat them that much more.

Huh, BYU is 4-1 all time against Texas with UT's single win being a 17-16 nailbiter. Not saying that matters much, since they appear to have mostly played when Texas was bad. Interesting though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Thermos H Christ posted:

Well I mean Colorado occasionally won a game in the Big 12 so that's something

Colorado was a legit national power (of frauds who needed a fifth down for their championship, but still) in the Big 8. They should join me in my crusade to get back to that point.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
That always works out well.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

If that's real I hope the Big 12 dies

If UT and OU aren't going to extend the GoR it's just a matter of time before it happens.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
You can't tell me a cat emoji doesn't exist to put next to the bear for Cinci.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sash! posted:

At least those were major conference teams instead of the leftovers from some mid majors.

Maryland and the ACC I can buy for the purposes of this argument, the Big East doesn't seem to really count as a major conference at the end of their (football) run. Not that it was full of bad sports schools, WVU and Louisville seem like solid gets for an athletic conference, Rutgers....not so much.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kim Jong Il posted:

Rutgers is a better football program than Maryland, why do people not give MD credit for the absolute dumpster fire it is.

Oh they're terrible too, I was responding specifically to the "Big 10 went after major conference teams" part of things with that. The Big East was a joke looked at as a whole at the end.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nystral posted:

UCF does have Scott Frost formerly OC of Oregon as the new HC following George O'Leary quitting early in the season. And a new AD who came from University of Buffalo. So maybe they're going to become the Boise State of the South East if they don't make it into a P5. They'll also always have that Fiesta Bowl win over Baylor as well.

Aside from being a liar and possible murderer O'Leary was a pretty successful coach for a long time. Remind me what happened there, like, did he just decide he didn't give a poo poo anymore?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Cliff Racer posted:

And why would the SEC want Oklahoma State over, say, Kansas

Oklahoma State plays football you see.

I vaguely remember Texas and Texas Tech are tied together because of law? Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I thought OU and Oklahoma State might have the same type of thing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Metapod posted:

The governor has the authority to veto either school moving to a new conference but that's it

Maybe this is what I was thinking of. I remember kayakyakr or some other Tech fan being really confident Tech would be fine back when Texas last almost blew up the conference.

In that case, yeah OSU should worry. I still don't see the SEC inviting Kansas under any circumstances though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

Random small bowls are fun as hell, sorry you don't actually like watching football

Seems like there's at least one a year where something absolutely crazy happens like a 24 point comeback or crazy poo poo like the end of the Georgia Tennessee game yesterday. Tiny bowls with bad teams make for fun games a lot of the time.

• Locked thread