Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I hate realignment

Allahu Snackbar posted:

What would the calculus be between looking at Memphis and Houston. Houston is probably on a faster program prestige track, but is that enough to outweigh the added televisions and recruiting orbit in Memphis?

Houston's never going to the Big 12. People will piss and moan about economics and Not Liking Houston, and the Big 12 doing just enough to show up on Houston's cable boxes doesn't help UH there, but the tipping point is plain ol crootin. UH in the Big 12 would be a Big School in the backyard of a Big City, and legitimizing UH football in a P5 conference would come mostly at the cost of the other Big 12 teams, namely TCU, Baylor, and Texas Tech. Add a pinch of old school SWC hate, and you get three no votes that will never be reconsidered in a ten team club...and UH is DOA at the board room.

I think for now Houston is just going to have to get a lot of people hot and bothered about making a lot of noise from the G5, and how G5s should only be seen in September and not heard, and become hot real estate to a conference that is competently run...like the ACC or Pac 12. Or maybe a conference that don't exist yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I think the Big 12 will take Cincy and UConn. This by the way basically destroys the American since they'll lose their title game and their TV deal.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Sash! posted:

Should have planned long term and located yourself higher above sea level.

They did, and then they said "nope" to the American

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

kayakyakr posted:

Sure, they're a monster in waiting. Last time they had money and a major conference? They picked up a Heisman and broke a bunch of records. I don't want anything to do with them.

At least you're honest I guess.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Neil Armbong posted:

A total garbage school at everything but football is my understanding.

They're not garbage, they're more like Tulane if you took out everything good and cool about Tulane. Plus they hired Todd Graham twice, and then hired Phil Montgomery so they could become Baylor's scout team.

gently caress Tulsa

100-6 for lyfe

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Metapod posted:

Like I can't think of one thing that I can go there for and not get a better program at some other university in the state

Their petroleum engineering department is basically the only reason to even think about Tulsa but I bet OU is almost as good and way cheaper

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Dr_Strangelove posted:

":qq: travel is hard"

San Diego State could be chilling in the American, but ":qq: travel is hard"

Which is how Tulsa got into the American in the first place btw so thanks for that douches

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

El Penis posted:

Tulane, UConn, Cincinatti, and... gently caress I dunno, Memphis.

gently caress it

:toxx:

If the Big 12 poaches four teams from the American Athletic Conference and none of them are Houston, I'll leave the CFB threads for good because I'll be done with college football.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 20, 2016

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

kayakyakr posted:

Houston's best chance is if more stuff comes out about Baylor, they get kicked out of the conference, and the Big XII says, OK Houston, you can come in.

There is absolutely no way Baylor is getting kicked out of the Big 12 over, well, anything short of Baylor dropping athletics. I don't know how that meme got started. Baylor would tie up the decision in court for decades, not to mention doing so would create a precedent that would allow people that aren't academic power brokers to exert influence on academic departments.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

DJExile posted:

Who officially accounts for the Houston TV market right now, Texas? I don't mean that to sound snarky, I just honestly don't know.

The anti-UH people argue Texas, Tech, and Baylor have a chokehold. In truth, who really accounts for Houston is Alabama.

There's some graphic floating around with a list of the twenty highest rated games last year. Of the top ten, six were SEC games - five were Alabama games and the sixth was A&M - two were Big 12 games (UT-OU and TCU-Baylor) and the other two were AAC games involving UH.

"Accounting for the market" and throwing your conference as far and wide as possible for the cable network is irrelevant anyway without a cable network.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Benne posted:

How the gently caress did Texas manage to elect a worse governor/human being than Rick Perry

Straight ticket voting

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Is it bad to hope Dan Patrick gets shot?

And have him survive and become a neocon Messiah?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

El Penis posted:

The big plan seems to be that UH will drop their opposition to the UT Houston campus in exchange for Texas helping them get into the Big 12. However UH is doing this with the understanding that, even with Texas's help, they may not get admitted into the Big 12.

FWIW I hope UH isn't seriously considering this offer because it is letting Texas gently caress UH. This deal (by itself, anyway) won't get us in the Big 12, AND it will force UH to the sideline while the UT system buries academic UH under a mountain of money.

If the Big 12 wants no part of UH then so be it, but if UH's long term fate is a FCS-like subdivision with rivalries with Sam Houston State and Houston Baptist, at least there doesn't have to be one with UTH.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 24, 2016

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

AP Poll Appearances:
Houston - 184
Iowa State - 40

Average AP Poll Rank:
Houston - 13.8
Iowa State - 17.7

Best AP Rank:
Houston - 2
Iowa State - 9

Conference Championships:
Houston - 11
Iowa State - 2

Heisman Winners:
Houston - 1
Iowa State - 0

Consensus All Americans:
Houston - 18
Iowa State - 3

Last 10 years vs P5:
Houston - (16-15 ) .516
Iowa State - (30-77) .280

Should I go on?

Years Playing Football -
Houston - 69
Iowa State - 123

5* Recruits -
Houston - 2
Iowa State - 0

Last Conference Title -
Houston - 2015
Iowa State - 1912

Appearances in Final AP Poll -
Houston - 18
Iowa State - 2

Basketball Final Fours -
Houston - 5
Iowa State - 1

NBA Players drafted -
Houston - 43
Iowa State - 36

NBA Hall of Famers -
Houston - 3
Iowa State - 0

Total Team National Championships -
Houston - 17
Iowa State - 13

Acceptance Rate -
Houston - 58
Iowa State - 87

Interstates Passing Next to Campus -
Houston - 45
Iowa State - 35

Area Code -
Houston - 713
Iowa State - 515

On-Campus Chick-Fil-As -
Houston - 2
Iowa State - 0

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

According to some newspaper guy up in New England, UConn's quietly ending lobbying the Big 12 and drawing plans to move their basketball and other non-revenue sports to the Big East while trying to park football in a G5 FBS conference. Conference USA would be the most likely target given what the MAC did to UMass.

Monetarily it's the move they should have made five years ago.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

General Dog posted:

Why not just stay in the AAC?

UConn has been concerned since the old Big East broke up about being able to keep recruiting good enough to compete for titles on the men's side given the teams they associate with, and eventually that could be a problem on the women's side as well once Auriemma retires.

It's less of a problem now since the general level of play in the American has improved every year. But, I guess UConn sees the writing on the wall re: Big 12 expansion and has them spooked again. In the new Big East at least they'd be guaranteed a few big name games a year.

But on the other hand -
1.) The state of Connecticut has a lot of money tied up in UConn football they won't want just written off, and...
2.) The teams most likely to be left behind are the ones doing most of the getting better - for starters, SMU and Tulsa, plus Memphis and Temple will likely still be there.

Also, the new Big East actually pays better than the American thanks to Fox kind of overpaying.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 19, 2016

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Spacebump posted:

The list is apparently at 12 teams currently.
https://twitter.com/max_olson/status/771179966100680704
#blessed

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 1, 2016

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Houston made its Big 12 pitch today -

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Houston can break a conference apart without even being in it

next level poo poo

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

whiteyfats posted:

FBS needs relegation.

I still firmly believe the G5 will be dumped into FCS in the next 10 or 20 years.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

MourningView posted:

that play is actually bad because both teams are mickey mouse kiddie conference garbage teams

Fixed because MY POWER FIVE TEAMS

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Sponsored by Scrubbing Bubbles (for the Scrub-Tier Teams)

Projection: Texas vs Notre Dame

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I'm flying out of the country this morning so I get to wonder five whole days to wonder how public and ugly the rejection was for Houston.

Life goes on (though UH football will eventually not)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Thoguh posted:

They have the Internet in other countries, you know.

Sure, but why pay to find out something you already know

• Locked thread