Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Korranus posted:

I think for now Houston is just going to have to get a lot of people hot and bothered about making a lot of noise from the G5, and how G5s should only be seen in September and not heard, and become hot real estate to a conference that is competently run...like the ACC or Pac 12. Or maybe a conference that don't exist yet.

Granted, I'm not super knowledgeable about the business of college conferences, and its entirely possible you're being sarcastic, but isn't the ACC one of the least well-run conferences? Don't they have the worst TV contract of the P5 conferences, owing to some hardcore nepotism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Thermos H Christ posted:

God dammit how did this become the narrative? It was not a "refusal." The rules for determining champions were set out before the season started. The commissioner couldn't just unilaterally change those rules after all the games had been played, and obviously neither of the schools was going to vacate their title to help the other make the playoff. If the B12 had refused to name both of them co-champs, whoever got snubbed would have sued, and they would have won.

This doesn't change the fact that the rules allowing for shared conference championships is dumb.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah. If at least two out of the four power conference championships in 2014 had been upsets, then we probably would have had both Baylor and TCU in there and the media narrative today would be totally different.

And one of those upsets was tantalizingly close to happening :argh:

Pakled fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 21, 2016

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The fact that the Big 12 rules allow for co-champions to exist and it wasn't just a plot to try to get two teams in the playoff and/or gently caress over Baylor doesn't change the fact that conferences having co-champions is dumb and should not happen in the twenty-first century.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DJExile posted:

Part of that was due to the fact that they needed to petition the NCAA to allow them to have a championship game, and I think the NCAA denied it at first since they didn't have divisions anymore.

Naming 2 teams as co-champs was a pretty silly gamble though.

Is there anything preventing them from having tiebreaker conditions to determine the champion if multiple teams have the same number of wins?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Thermos H Christ posted:

That exact thing was put in place prior to the 2015 season. No more co-champs. Also it sounds like there is discussion about the possibility of playing a round robin followed by a rematch between the top two teams for the championship. I go back and forth on whether that is awesome or the worst idea I have ever heard.

It would be really cool, both because conference championship games own, and because of the shitstorm that would happen the first time a team beat someone in the championship that they lost to in the regular season.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

whiteyfats posted:

Big 12 should have went all in and just took FSU, Miami, Georgia Tech, and Clemson.

This is my dream scenario in the event of an ACC breakup. Maybe VT instead of Miami, but everyone seems to say they're more likely to end up in the SEC.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Utah's put up some good records in recent seasons. They seem like a decent addition to the conference.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

kayakyakr posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-map.html#10,39.114,-84.432

Try to find a zip code on the city of Cincinnati where the team even shows up.

Hint: people root for teams from outside of the state they're currently in.

Please, nobody look at Georgia Tech in this map.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If I was a player, I'd want to go to the Bahamas Bowl more than anything other than a NY6/Playoff bowl.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Pictured: a garbage game that nobody should watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otXlDgqxp9k

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Minor bowl games means we get to watch football almost every day in December, so I'm all for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Staying at 10 so if another P5 Conference falls apart, they can absorb 4 members I see.

(my dream scenario in the event of an ACC breakup is FSU, Clemson, GT, and either Miami or VT going to the Big 12)

• Locked thread