Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Tulane! Do it, Big 12. You know you want that sweet sweet New Orleans market.

I just want to see Tulane continue to fail upward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

Ahem, that's Pac-12 affiliate member for wrestling Boise State you guys are talking about here. Show some respect.

I'm surprised they let them get that close.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Goetta posted:

Cincy released all their documents about trying to woo Big 12 presidents.=

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2016/02/13/inside-ucs-bid-join-big-12/80280488/

I know things like this can pay off, but "I know a guy who knows the cousin of the TCU president" is the saddest lobbying effort ever.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

I enjoy how this situation somehow forces you to become a de facto Texas fan. Oh no, it isn't Texas's fault, it's those dirty Aggies and Huskers.

To be fair gently caress both of those fan bases but you know what I mean.

Why's that? Because ISU is the new Cincy if the Big 12 isn't held together solely by UT hubris?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I want Tulane so bad. Totally cool with the Big 12 dropping the round robin if Tulane gets in.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

What does Tulane bring besides academics and an excuse to travel to New Orleans?

So like, you said an excuse to travel to New Orleans, but then there's a question mark after it like you're looking for more. I don't follow at all.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Memphis is willing to spend half a billion to get into the Big 12, which is really like the saddest way to spend half a billion.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/report-memphis-willing-spend-500-million-upgrades-join-big-12/

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Hell, Wyoming has a solid PE program. And it's cheap, even out-of-state. Go there and get better scenery.

"May as well save some money and go to Wyoming"

- Someone who will soon want to kill themself

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ok uconn, sdsu, usf, tulane. I mean if we're doing this, let's do it right.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't want to go all Big 10 here, but this forum has led me to believe that most of Boise State's students are studying TV/VCR Repair.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I feel like you could make a case that the two Florida schools, Cincy and Memphis have an upside that could lead to good things eventually, but you're totally right that such a conference would live and die by how much money the next alternative can offer Texas/OU.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Multiple people on Twitter are saying Texas is trying to block an extension of the Big 12 GoR.

Where's a GIF of that fire-breathing bug from Family Guy whispering "Good... Good..." when I need it?

What's that mean? Blocking expansion? Preparing to light the whole conference ablaze?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

"KIM JONG TRILL" posted:

e: Also reports from OU/UT reporters are that OU and UT are adamantly against any extension of the grant of rights at this point, but are for expansion. Which lends some credit to the whole fleece the media with pro-rata increases while we can and then leave as soon as the deals are up theory.

I am slowly accepting the inevitable. We're going to the SEC together in a decade.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

I think Texas still thinks it's too highbrow for the SEC. If they move I still think it would be to be the PAC, because they've flirted with it several times, and also where else is the PAC going to expand?

If the cable bubble bursts before the GOR is up there's no telling what will happen. The Big 12 might be more palatable in that world.

PAC would be a good place to land too. I assume the Longhorn Network will be dead once the cable bubble bursts. I mean, we do have espn locked in, but they'll want out so the only hurdle would be the PAC deal getting us as much money.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
For a long, long time I thought Dan Patrick was the Dan Patrick from ESPN because before he was Lt. Gov. they used to always mention that he was a radio personality in articles about him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

AP Poll Appearances:
Houston - 184
Iowa State - 40

Average AP Poll Rank:
Houston - 13.8
Iowa State - 17.7

Best AP Rank:
Houston - 2
Iowa State - 9

Conference Championships:
Houston - 11
Iowa State - 2

Heisman Winners:
Houston - 1
Iowa State - 0

Consensus All Americans:
Houston - 18
Iowa State - 3

Last 10 years vs P5:
Houston - (16-15 ) .516 [4-10]
Iowa State - (30-77) .280

Should I go on?

Yeah but I'm pretty sure Iowa State is a wrestling only member of the Big 12.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kayakyakr posted:

Tulane's invite was never contingent on the quality of their program. They're being considered entirely because of their academic reputation and their location. A good team won't help or hurt them in any way.

You can drink on the street there. ON THE STREET. We're gonna add a bunch of Mormons over that?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Numlock posted:

So per some info I saw this morning both OU and Texas are opposing any extension of the GoR.

Probably just figuring it would be dumb to extend it even if they stayed since who the gently caress knows whats going to be going on with TV in 8 years but also it probably means they are very interested in having a lot of options to jump ship.

Hell yeah Pac 16 happening in 2024 you heard it hear first

- Chip Brown

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

I'm sitting over here starring at a dented up Longhorns helmet pleading "finish what you started" like Kylo Ren while pondering what the Pac16 logo will look like.

The footprint will kinda make a 6 right? If you squint?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thermos H Christ posted:

I'm kind of torn here because I don't want to support a lot of the stuff BYU stands for, but my extreme dislike of BYU makes me want to see my team beat them that much more. We've already got Baylor and OU, but I'd always like to see more teams I hate on the schedule. No matter what your record is, no matter where you are in the season, it's pretty easy to get hype for a game when you hate the other team.

You think there's any way we could get PSU and ND in on this? Texas would certainly be pulling our weight in the Hate Belt Conference. I mean everyone who is not a Texas fan hates Texas, right? It could be like how the SEC has been known to say every week is a championship game, except we could say every week was a rivalry game.

Look man, if you can't be with the one you hate, hate the one you're with.

gently caress Kansas State so hard.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
OK so Tulane, UCF and SDSU for maximum cool road games, and then gently caress the rest. Big 13.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think I can accept Memphis as a possible 4th vacation destination for the Big 12. So UCF, Memphis, SDSU and Tulane are the ideal additions.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, what the hell happened to Colorado? Did Gary Barnett burn down their facilities on his way out?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oof, Boise State with more support than Tulane. The dream is dead.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

I hope that the "you made the cut" letters are going out in gaudy golden envelopes sealed with wax, impressed with the official Big 12 signet ring.

Rose ceremony is traditional.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Surprised Memphis got cut so quickly.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sab0921 posted:

Every so often, the perks of family working in politics transfers over to CFB. Just cocktail party discussions, but (based on people close to the UT/UH side) UH and Cincy to Big XII is essentially a done deal, one UT pick (Houston) and one OU (Cincinnati). UT horse traded support for UH to the Big XII to get UH to back off their opposition to the new UT research campus in Houston. No expansion is still a possibility as well

Source: Houston politicians (not to be confused with UH alums and/or supporters)

This strikes me as a good deal, since the research campus will be there forever and the Big 12 will fall apart in about 8 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

Staying at 10 so if another P5 Conference falls apart, they can absorb 4 members I see.

(my dream scenario in the event of an ACC breakup is FSU, Clemson, GT, and either Miami or VT going to the Big 12)

The Big 12 is the only conference that's anywhere close to falling apart though.

• Locked thread