Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I don't understand why a conference network is such a big deal all of a sudden. The Pac-12 Network makes like no money and the ACC network can't even get off the ground. Meanwhile ESPN is hemorrhaging subscribers and cable in general isn't looking all that hot. Conference networks are a dieing idea. Not only that, but Oklahoma is making more off their third tier rights than every school not named Texas. Boren is just poo poo stirring. There's no reason for the Big XII to go down the road of a conference network.

Any move by anybody before the Big Ten's new deal gets sorted out seems absurdly premature and stupid. The Big XII isn't rock solid but it is stable enough to sit and wait for a few years to see what happens as cable vs. streaming fight it out. Doubly so since the ACC isn't fufilling the promises it made to member schools so in a few years there might be options for to pick off schools from there, which are an order of magnitude better than AAC schools.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

tranime scholar posted:

gently caress the Big XII, we don't want to go back. Bring back the Big 8 and then we'll talk.

No disrespect intended towards the Pac. But the Big 8 was the best 8.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Numlock posted:

Doesn't the GOR become a moot point if the Big XII ceases to exist? I think that would happen if OU and a few other teams left.

Even if just OU left and the Big XII continued to Zombie on I wonder if the grant of rights agreement would hold up in court.

Oklahoma peacing out to another conference is more or less the exact situation the GOR was created for. So even if it didn't hold up it would cost a shitload of money and time for Oklahoma to fight it. And schools that stand to lose out on hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue because Boren likes to hear his own voice aren't going to quietly sulk down to the AAC.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

go3 posted:

really yall should be asking yourselves why all these other inferior conferences arent shedding teams to get down to a round robin number of teams like god intended

This guy gets it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thermos H Christ posted:

God dammit how did this become the narrative? It was not a "refusal." The rules for determining champions were set out before the season started. The commissioner couldn't just unilaterally change those rules after all the games had been played, and obviously neither of the schools was going to vacate their title to help the other make the playoff. If the B12 had refused to name both of them co-champs, whoever got snubbed would have sued, and they would have won.

Nobody lets facts get in the way of narratives.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Intruder posted:

Whatever, I don't know the details, the only college stuff I really follow is my own school :shrug:

So then the ability to have co-champions is arguably what cost them the playoff spot, the point was that it's not just Texas and Oklahoma that can get into the playoff without a conference championship game

All the favorites won conference championship games last year as well, and the ones that needed to did so very convincingly. That doesn't always happen. If things had gone the other way the Big XII could have ended up with both Baylor and TCU in. Overall I think it'll be a wash. Some years not having a conference championship game will help, some years it will hurt, some years it won't matter.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJExile posted:

man there is no way on the planet the B12 is putting 2 teams in the playoff, especially if Baylor and TCU are the 2.

Beaten, but there was a non-trivial chance of it happening going into to conference championships last year. And there was certainly a decent chance of at least one of them getting in. It didn't work out. And some years it won't. But other years will be like this year, where conference championships don't matter much. And other years will see upsets in conference championships that open up a spot for a Big XII school.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Ahem, that's Pac-12 affiliate member for wrestling Boise State you guys are talking about here. Show some respect.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

I'm surprised they let them get that close.

North Dakota State, Wyoming, and the other affiliate Big XII schools for wrestling are super proud about it and go out of their way to point out that they are technically conference members. I assume Boise is the same way about the Pac-12.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Hawai'i to the Big 12. When Alabama was on probation and couldn't go bowling they'd go play their last game of the season out on the islands. And look at what happened since then-- like a hundred national championship wins. Better let Hawai'i in y'all if you wanna win nattys
please don't let my team die :smith:

The idea of all Big XII schools playing an away game at Hawaii in order to get 13 games has been discussed and has my endorsement.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
News: Viacom stock is tumbling after their latest earnings report

Views: Do you see this David Boren? Do you see this? Shut the gently caress up about thinking a conference network is something worth pursuing.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Frackie Robinson posted:

Does Viacom own one of the conference networks?

No. But they own a bunch of cable channels are this reiterates that people are cutting cable and that is causing a drop in revenue across the board, indicating that a conference network that gets their money from people having cable vs. people wanting to watch your matchups is not going to be as viable going forward as it has been in the past.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Kim Jong Il posted:

Long term yes, but you can just as easily argue that they should get the money now because it's not going to exist soon.

To start a conference network they have to buy out the existing deals that all 10 schools have though. That would eat up a good chunk of any immediate profits since it would take a couple years of revenue to pay for that (especially since that includes making up for the insane amount Texas is making). Plus it would take a couple of years to get the network set up and actually on to cable network lineups. By then any window would probably be closed.

Basically every school already has some form of digital network though. If they just want to band those together under a Big XII network banner then whatever. Only thing you'd have to do in that case is agree to a common subscription rate among schools and grant everybody access to all the content.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 10, 2016

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

Iowa State could never survive with the I assume like $0.25 a year they get from mediacom to air THE CLONE ZONE on the cable channel that usually shows high school sports.

Ya'll just jealous there's no Hawkeyes.TV

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Actually didn't Iowa get legit mad about that cable channel and declare they were going to start their own even though the Big Ten Network owns all their rights? Did that ever get off the ground?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Korranus posted:

I think the Big 12 will take Cincy and UConn. This by the way basically destroys the American since they'll lose their title game and their TV deal.

UCONN is not going to get an invite to the Big XII unless the conference is down to Iowa State and K-State and they invite the entire American.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Democrazy posted:

Wow. So ungrateful. When ISU was going to be on the outs, UConn wanted you guys in the Big East to spare you from the MAC

Ya'll broke Cy's arm. That can't be forgiven.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

If OU gets fed up with the Big 12's poo poo and leaves for another conference (not that they would, or could) would Texas stay put in the Big 12, or would they try to follow OU?

Oklahoma is the shiter in the Big XII, not the shitee.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Toilet Mouth posted:

It's not so much the LHN thing as it is just everything in general.

Oklahoma makes more than every other school not named Texas though. If things were equal they'd take a pay cut. And once you add their tier 3 rights they are on par with any conference they might run to. If they follow through on this they're following the A&M and Nebraska pattern of bitching about situations they helped create and using that as an excuse to bolt.

Mostly though, at this point, it seems like Boren spouting off for the sake of getting his name in the press. He's gonna die on the sword of a dieing industry with his conference network schtik.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 20, 2016

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Grittybeard posted:

I enjoy how this situation somehow forces you to become a de facto Texas fan. Oh no, it isn't Texas's fault, it's those dirty Aggies and Huskers.

To be fair gently caress both of those fan bases but you know what I mean.

The big schools that left were just as against equal revenue sharing and everything else as Texas was. I'm not defending Texas. I'm just noticing that Oklahoma is acting similar to how those two schools, who also got bigger than average pieces of the pie, acted. They don't care that everything isn't equal. They care that the unequal setup, which they benefit from greatly, doesn't benefit them more than anybody else.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 20, 2016

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Toilet Mouth posted:

The only hope for either of them is that there are enough teams in the west that are interested in moving up to FBS that they can start a new conference, like some kind of Sun Belt West.

Haven't all those top tier MVC and Big Sky schools been pretty vocal that they'd rather be big fish in FCS than struggle to be viable in FBS?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Toilet Mouth posted:

The MWC should be a pretty big deal in 25 years if football lasts that long.

MWC was on track to being a pretty big deal a decade ago but instead they just got raided of some teams and had others fall off.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Its the Big XII wrestling schools and affiliates

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Metapod posted:

North Colorado?

Yeah.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Hed posted:

Yeah, I thought we tried to remain in Big 12 for wrestling but some schools (understandably) didn't want us, so we ended up in the MAC which is actually pretty good for wrestling as I understand it. Anyway, I couldn't find any sources to reconcile what's in my head with reality so v:)v

I think that sums it up pretty well. Ya'll even have an Olympian this year who's still a student.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Hell, Wyoming has a solid PE program. And it's cheap, even out-of-state. Go there and get better scenery.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Problem: Your school color would be brown.

Wyoming is already a member of the Big XII so I don't know what you guys are talking about.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Big XII announced today they're considering adding 2 or 4 teams. Guess the ACC announcement spooked 'em.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

Ok uconn, sdsu, usf, tulane. I mean if we're doing this, let's do it right.

I would unironically be totally down with Tulane. They even fit in pretty well geographically.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Tulane, NDSU, Missouri, Nebraska

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Metapod posted:

Switch usf with Cincy and it's perfect

No matter how many teams get invited, Cincy will be left outside. It is written.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
BYU and UCONN as candidates makes me irrationally angry for some reason.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kayakyakr posted:

I'd take Colorado back.

on the scale of how much I'd be interested in members coming back I'd go Missouri > Nebraska >> Colorado >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Texas A&M.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I'm holding out a vain hope that the Big XII is just bluffing in an attempt to get their current contract reworked and extended, since if they expand the networks are on the hook for up to a billion dollars that they might not actually have.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Houston had one good season and everybody is acting like they've arrived for good. Recruiting grounds or no most schools who have a good year or two fade away once they lose their coach and/or a couple key players. They might end up being a permanent G5 fixture but they aren't there at the moment.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I'm becoming less against Memphis and Cinci. Not because I want them, but because they seem to be the least bad options available if the conference is dead set on expanding.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Kim Jong Il posted:

The core fundamentals for Houston are way better than they are for Iowa State. That's why I think Texas wants them. It won't threaten Texas at all, but will further weaken mid tier Big XII teams.

Other than "being in Houston with access to lots of recruits" what makes you say they have better "core fundamentals" than any other G5 school? They're a commuter school that is running a huge deficit and their athletic department is basically just the football team.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah but I'm pretty sure Iowa State is a wrestling only member of the Big 12.

Basketball and wrestling affiliate.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

Tears well up in the eyes of the Rutgers president as he proudly unveils a New York Television Market statue outside the stadium

Rutgers Fightin' Nielsons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

Of which only like 1.9 million are Ohio State or Florida fans, respectively.

Sure, but presumably expansion would be about getting a conference network started. And that's all about subscribers, not viewers.

• Locked thread