Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Thoguh posted:

News: Viacom stock is tumbling after their latest earnings report

Views: Do you see this David Boren? Do you see this? Shut the gently caress up about thinking a conference network is something worth pursuing.

Long term yes, but you can just as easily argue that they should get the money now because it's not going to exist soon.

I have some inside info here in that I know for a fact that traditional cable companies as they exist now will be dead in five years, it will all be over the top ala Netflix. There will only be ISPs and no content providers.

I know that everyone sees this as inevitable but hamstrung for now due to rights issues. However, one of the bigger players in cable is planning to flip the switch a lot sooner than you think. The reason is that internet is pure profit for them, while they make nothing off television because the rights are so expensive.

Basically - I would be shocked if companies like Disney, Discovery, Viacom, Comcast, Fox, Time Warner, etc.. don't crater hard. The vhannels that will be well positioned will be the ones that can adapt to the new world. E.g., HBO will be fine because they never depended on mass coverage and can make money off content resale.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I work in the industry and have literally seen the plans for this stuff starting to roll out in Q3 of this year and that's not publicly known. Of course it's well known that this is going to happen as a long term trend, it's just going to happen a lot sooner than people think.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

anne frank fanfic posted:

How much are our internet rates going to increase for the same or less service?

The players are going to behave drastically differently based on their technology capacity and their scale. That's intentionally vague, I'm sorry. It's not going to be as drastic, but think of the Wireless industry and how it's changed.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 15, 2016

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Toilet Mouth posted:

Did the Big Ten have a change of heart, or did they already have designs on expanding the network with Northeastern markets and invited Nebraska to try to mitigate the brand dilution?

They never anticipated the Big XII blowing up. Delany started talking heavily to Rutgers in 2010, and the AD at the time was not exactly coy about hiding that fact. I think the plan was to blow up the Big East and force Notre Dame's hand. When it looked like the Pac 16 was going to happen, Rutgers was nearly finalized as #13 before Texas backed away from the ledge. At that point Delany told Pernetti to be patient and it would happen soon, which it did two years later. They just needed a partner, which waited on ND to pass and MD to get in really bad financial shape.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Toilet Mouth posted:

They didn't expect the conference to be destabilized when they grabbed Nebraska?

I meant they didn't expect Nebraska to be available originally.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
The Big XII definitely made a mistake by not adding Louisville when they could have. I don't think the ACC raid was really on the table, it was being floated by FSU and Clemson as leverage to get what they want.

The Big XII should definitely add BYU and Houston, and are too shortsighted to go for Houston. There isn't another candidate that makes sense unless SMU can somehow turn it around.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

kayakyakr posted:

Houston adds nothing to the conference, just like TCU. Houston's media influence is limited to the city of Houston itself as they don't have a very widespread or very sports-oriented alumni base, and the Big XII already has a very strong hold on that market. Even during last year's great run, they struggled to fill their stadium. They would actively detract from the existing Big XII programs because they can recruit as a Big XII team, effectively locking TTU, Baylor and TCU out of the city of Houston and competing with UT as the hometown team.

The only compelling reason to invite Houston is to keep a conference like the ACC from inviting Houston instead.

The Big XII should have invited Louisville when they had the chance. Instead we got TCU. Meh.

I know this will never happen, but do what's loving right for once, they should be there.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
The majority of the AAU voted them out though, it's less about Texas subterfuge and more Eastern snobbery.

ROFL at also thinking the AAU thing was anything other than lip service.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 30, 2016

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Thoguh posted:

Houston had one good season and everybody is acting like they've arrived for good. Recruiting grounds or no most schools who have a good year or two fade away once they lose their coach and/or a couple key players. They might end up being a permanent G5 fixture but they aren't there at the moment.

The core fundamentals for Houston are way better than they are for Iowa State. That's why I think Texas wants them. It won't threaten Texas at all, but will further weaken mid tier Big XII teams.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Having football success, a television footprint, and a good recruiting area are really important. Having good women's basketball is not.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I have Charles blocked for being an idiot in D&D. Rutgers easily has the last two, and has a lot more of the first than a lot of the leftovers being discussed.

Distinguish between per capita and overall numbers too. There are a lot of BTN viewers in the NYC and DC markets and they're comparatively wealthy.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Anecdotally, Memphis has a pretty good fan base in the greater Memphis area. I spent three years there for law school and was a minority within the city as a Tennessee fan. I was not a minority in any other sense and in Memphis that is pretty significant.

Meat Market and The Blind Side (which is actually a great read, the movie butchered it) make Memphis sound like an Ole Miss town.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Eh let the Mormons in.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Blaudschun's sources are all old and mainly on the Big East side of things, I don't think that report is very credible.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

Maryland and the ACC I can buy for the purposes of this argument, the Big East doesn't seem to really count as a major conference at the end of their (football) run. Not that it was full of bad sports schools, WVU and Louisville seem like solid gets for an athletic conference, Rutgers....not so much.

Rutgers is a better football program than Maryland, why do people not give MD credit for the absolute dumpster fire it is.

Thoguh posted:

The Rutgers Fightin' New York TV Market.

It's something as opposed to the Iowa State Fightin' Nothings.

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Cincinnati>Rutgers

Both then and now

They have no fan support. Kelly owned the poo poo out of us, but he's long gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
TBH it's a lot more likely that Iowa or the rest of those Midwestern teams would be.

I don't get being offended by lots of G5 teams or lots of lovely bowls. More football is good.

• Locked thread