Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
14 team conferences are stupid.

10 teams with a round robin format is good. 12 teams with 2 divisions, a conference championship game with teams playing everyone at least once home & away per 4 years is good . 14 teams with convoluted schedule making is stupid. 16 team conferences make way more sense than 14 team conferences but it's baby steps to get there.

Big problem for a 4- super conference approach is that 4 teams would have to go to the Pac-12. There really isn't any good options west of the Rockies to bring in new markets or tvs (SDSU, BSU, UNLV, BYU or New Mexico don't cut it). Most people out here think Colorado is WAY out there, so to think of needing to bring in some combination of 4 teams from Oklahoma, Kansas & Texas is far fetched but a necessity for the 16 team mega conference ideas. For TVs (where this is all about), Pac will likely try to take KU, OK, TEX & 1 other Texas team but will some how end up with K St, OK St TT & UTEP.

I do like the 4 mega conference ideas where the CCG is the defacto Quarterfinal game to the 4 team playoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

Toilet Mouth posted:

The only hope for either of them is that there are enough teams in the west that are interested in moving up to FBS that they can start a new conference, like some kind of Sun Belt West.

BYU should gather its pride and rejoin the MWC. Then 1 team (HI or WY) should drop out to this new conference, add in 5 FCS upgraded teams and BAM a new BigWest conference.

Idaho, New Mexico St, Wyoming, Montana, Southern Utah, Portland St, Sacramento St, Eastern Washington

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

Benne posted:

I'll fully confess to being ignorant of the details, so maybe others can help me out, but why would the Big 12 want Cincy or Tulane or any of these other mid-tier candidates being bandied about? Expansion for the sake of expansion just seems short-sighted to me.

Reminds me of when the Pac-10 had this grand Pac-16 vision, but that whole deal fell through so they said "gently caress it" and grabbed Utah and Colorado just so they can say they did something. Yeah we got the conference title game, but now we're stuck with two programs who don't really bring much to the table beyond "hey, Denver and Salt Lake markets, we think."

You can ask why the BIG added Rutgers and Maryland aside from NYC & DC markets. TVs and TVs thus more :10bux:

Pac-10 expansion to 12 really did leave with UT & CO as the only 2 real options that brought in new TVs and had some backing. UT has been a pretty decent team. CO is really taking time to adapt at least in football.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

BXII trades WVU to SEC for Mizzou

Colorado has been dog poo poo since it moved to PAC. I doubt PAC let's them leave though since its one of the few non-CA big markets out west.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

I actually didn't consider Colorado State, are they a possibility at all? They fit well enough geographically at least, although like others have said I'd imagine you'd prefer to fill in some space between the rest of the conference and WVU if you're thinking of location.

Colorado State & BYU would be a good travel pair and overlap with the PAC & 2 good markets.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

Ross Angeles posted:

*raises paw*

SDSU in the PAC is like HOU in BXII. They make sense in the footprint but do not add new tvs. If/when the Power 4-5 all move to 16 teams, PAC is limited to who they can take in due to geography. If it's Texas +3 other TEX/OK teams to bring Texas they do that. If it's 4 random schools west of the Rockies/Mississippi, then SDSU is a likely in.

E: In 2024, I believe either Tex/TXT/OK/OKst or SDSU/UNLV/NMX/FresnoSt will be in the PAC16.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

C. Everett Koop posted:

My scenario:

-Texas is talking to everyone, but they refuse to give up the Longhorn Network, which ends up being a dealbreaker for the Big 10/Pac-12/SEC. However...

-Pac-12, with no great teams left to grab, elects to hold firm. This angers UCLA and some of the other schools, but without a place to land they don't jump.

I can see the Pac12 being okay with LHN since it will essentially be PAC-12 Texas since there's the main national network and then 6 local regional networks (WA/OR/BayArea/LA/AZ/Mountian) and in this case could have a TX & TXT regional Pac12 and TX would just be called Longhorn network with some added Tech programming.

• Locked thread