Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

If OU gets fed up with the Big 12's poo poo and leaves for another conference (not that they would, or could) would Texas stay put in the Big 12, or would they try to follow OU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Big 12 finally figures out what every idiot already knew: 12 teams plus a championship game helps playoff chances.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15449091/big-12-research-shows-expansion-necessary-boost-cfp-hopes

ESPN posted:

PHOENIX -- The Big 12's data research shows that the league will have to make a change to its current format to maximize its chances of making the College Football Playoff.

That includes expanding back to 12 teams.

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said the analytics firm the league recently hired, Navigate Research, revealed that a 12-team league with an eight-game conference schedule and a championship game was the best model for putting a team in the CFP.

The Big 12 currently has 10 teams, a nine-game conference schedule and no championship game.

This week in Phoenix, the Big 12's athletic directors and coaches are holding their annual spring meeting. Later in May, the conference's president will convene in Irving, Texas.

Oklahoma president and new Big 12 board chairman David Boren has said he'd like to see the Big 12 take action this summer to expand, add a championship game and form a conference network. Boren has said that until the Big 12 does all three, it will be "psychologically disadvantaged."

Bowlsby said he didn't think the league would be ready to take any major votes in the late May meeting, but he added that it would be in the league's best interest to move forward as quickly as possible, perhaps later in the summer.

"Once we get the diagnostics done and the data analysis done, we need to get down the path and make some decisions," Bowlsby said. "There's no sense in dragging it out once we know all the pieces to the puzzle."

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Big 12 just voted unanimously to bring back the conference championship game in 2017. This is not necessarily saying that they will expand, and they still haven't decided on expansion candidates, but the game is back.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Hell, Wyoming has a solid PE program. And it's cheap, even out-of-state. Go there and get better scenery.

Problem: Your school color would be brown.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ross Angeles posted:

don't you want a west coast presence, big 12.

please god take our call

The timezone thing would be a problem.

Honestly just let Texas, OU, OSU, Kansas, and WVU leave and the rest of the Big 12 can fold into the MWC. There'd still be a timezone problem but at least it would only cover 3 timezones instead of 4.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 19, 2016

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Tulane, UConn, Cincinatti, and... gently caress I dunno, Memphis.

I want to close the state gap between WVU and the rest of the Big 12.

I really want the old Big 12 back or UT and OU to go to the SEC, but I guess this is the best thing we can get right now.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Please, Lord. :pray:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

kayakyakr posted:

I'd take Colorado back.

Same. I really want Nebraska and Mizzou back, but Nebraska stands to make a ton of money with that new TV deal, and from what I've heard Mizzou is a lot happier in the SEC.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Why can't the MWC just be a Power 5?

Oh right, their markets don't have enough people. :(

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Thoguh posted:

on the scale of how much I'd be interested in members coming back I'd go Missouri > Nebraska >> Colorado >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Texas A&M.

Texas A&M is at the top of my list, but they aren't coming back. For me it goes A&M-Nebraska-Mizzou-Colorado, in that order from most to least want.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bowlsby apparently open to football-only members in the Big 12, per Twitter. Guess that means Boise State is on the table.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Multiple people on Twitter are saying Texas is trying to block an extension of the Big 12 GoR.

Where's a GIF of that fire-breathing bug from Family Guy whispering "Good... Good..." when I need it?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

PostNouveau posted:

What's that mean? Blocking expansion? Preparing to light the whole conference ablaze?

I don't know if an extension to the GoR has even been proposed, but a bunch of people are saying that Texas is opposed to the idea. Presumably it means they want out of the conference by 2025 or sooner.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I've considered Ohio instead of Cincinnati.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bad UCLA coach thinks UCLA should go to Big 12.

http://www.bruinsnation.com/platfor...2?client=safari

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Greg Fenves just tweeted that he supports considering adding Houston to the Big 12.

For those who don't know, Fenves is UT's president. This could be interesting.

EDIT: McRaven just released a statement agreeing with Fenves on Houston.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 21, 2016

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Neil Armbong posted:

I never thought a day would come that I would loathe a politician more than him. But the current Lt. Governor makes me feel that easy every time he opens his mouth.

Is it bad to hope Dan Patrick gets shot?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

General Dog posted:

What is Texas' angle in supporting Houston to the Big 12? Are they hoping UH will siphon recruits away from Baylor/Tech/TCU but not themselves? Is it some kind of favor for the powers that be in state politics in hopes that when they decide to leave the conference they won't try to stop them? Are they trying to expand their voting bloc to keep up with expansion expansion of the conference as a whole?

The big plan seems to be that UH will drop their opposition to the UT Houston campus in exchange for Texas helping them get into the Big 12. However UH is doing this with the understanding that, even with Texas's help, they may not get admitted into the Big 12.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Texas just got a second on-campus Chick-fil-a a few years ago, and has a third within walking distance from campus.

They're also getting a Taco Bell that serves alcohol sometime in the next year or two, the third of its kind in the whole US. This is like a year after their on-campus Taco Bell got torn down and replaced by a salad place (:lol:), and several years after another Taco Bell just off campus got replaced by a Whataburger.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Relatively few black people like Ole Miss very much for some reason

Gee I wonder why.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

https://twitter.com/mcmurphyespn/status/764086215897251840
drat. 14 seems like a way better idea than 12. Wonder if maybe the other schools are trying to limit the possibility of Texas and OU leaving.

I'm surprised Arkansas State and New Mexico are on the list. Although I have thought of Arkansas State as being a good fit geographically (and to steal recruits from Arky), and if I'm not mistaken Texas Tech had a rivalry with New Mexico at one time.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I see 6 schools on that list that almost definitely can't get in, and another 2 that probably can't get in.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

How are we considering UCF and USF but not Memphis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Popeye's owns.

• Locked thread