Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Oklahoma isn't going anywhere if the GOR comes into play. The collapse of oil prices is gonna hurt the school bigtime, now is not the time for OU to be jeopardizing any funding.

Boren is saber-rattling because he's a skilled politician and knows that now is a good time to bring up expansion again. OU got in the playoffs this year but he knows long-term the conference is at a major disadvantage for playoff spots without a championship game, and I seriously doubt the Big 12 puts one in without going to 12 teams/divisions.

Also, considering Boren is the one pushing this the hardest and OU is the 2nd-most important school in the conference, Tulane definitely has more than an outside chance of admission. Boren has staked his legacy on improving OU's academic profile, which he has done substantially, and adding Tulane would further boost that by way of "the company you keep."

If, however, OU bolts holy poo poo I hope it's for the PAC-12, if they'd have us. Big 10 would be cool. gently caress the SEC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

poo poo, double post. first time for everything!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

MourningView posted:

I really want to see evidence for this because it didn't hurt them at all this year and seems like it'd be a benefit at least as often as it is a burden on the conference.

Well, OU and Texas will always be given the benefit of the doubt. Anyone else in the Big 12 will get screwed, all other things being equal. Back to the "company you keep" thing.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Intruder posted:

Baylor or TCU would have gotten in last year if not for the refusal to back away from the co-champions thing

I think, anyway

I mean, that likely didn't help, but what was almost certainly more significant was getting Ohio State (which had quite the championship game performance under its belt) in over some small private school in Texas.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

What does Tulane bring besides academics and an excuse to travel to New Orleans?

David Boren is the guy pushing expansion the most and he honestly probably cares about academics just as much as athletics, if not even more so. The Big 12 got raided of two of its better academic institutions during the last round of realignment, and he wants something to fill the gap (which is also why he'd never support BYU).

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Hed posted:

And they still don't want us :(

Didn't y'all leave?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Hed posted:

Yeah, I thought we tried to remain in Big 12 for wrestling but some schools (understandably) didn't want us, so we ended up in the MAC which is actually pretty good for wrestling as I understand it. Anyway, I couldn't find any sources to reconcile what's in my head with reality so v:)v

Aw drat, did not know that. I know Mizzou has done well enough for itself in the SEC, but for what it's worth I'd love to have them back in the Big 12.

Would happily trade Baylor to the SEC for you.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Maybe I've missed something, but what the hell is wrong with Tulsa besides association with Todd Graham? To me they'd be vastly more preferable than every other AAC team except Houston, Tulane and Cincinnati.

And don't tease me with the swapping-Baylor-for-Houston fanfic, please.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I didn't want the Big 12 to blow up in the first place, but it did. Settling on a 10-team round-robin with TCU and West Virginia was acceptable.

I really, really didn't want a conference title game, and we're getting that.

I really don't want to expand by adding driftwood and ruin the round-robin, but that's nearly certain now.

I kinda hope Texas is able to sabotage a new GoR so OU can get the hell out of here, the Big 12 is dead. I didn't want it to happen, but it's happening.

Problem is, I wish OU would go to the Big 10 or Pac-12, but they'll wind up in the SEC.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Everything about this is shortsighted. This is all being organized by old white dudes who are basing their decisions on a media distribution platform that is likely to radically change within a timeframe as small as 5 years. Both cable and satellite are hemorrhaging subscribers. The Big 12 should just stand pat until the GoR expires and then can adapt to the new media environment--whatever it may be--or, hopefully, blow up.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

CaptainYesterday posted:

The main problem I see in the Big 12 adding Houston and Cincinnati is, how do you divide the schools into two divisions? You've got five teams in the state of Texas and six teams per division. Who ends up in the Lone Star division?

Division 1:

Texas
Texas Tech
Houston
Iowa State
Cincinnati
West Virginia

Division 2:

Baylor
TCU
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State

This would be the best of all possible worlds, in which all possible worlds are pretty rough geographically. You ideally would want to split the Texas schools that way every team is guaranteed a game there per year.

If we wanna go full-bore on the fanfic, permanent rivals:

Texas-OU (duh)
TTU-OSU (geography, ag/mech schools)
Baylor-Houston (geography)
TCU-West Virginia (worst matchup, joined Big 12 together?...)
Kansas State-Iowa State (geography/Farmageddon)
Kansas-Cincinnati (basketball? kinda sorta geography?)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Oh no a bunch of LGBT groups don't want a religious school in, quelle surprise. If the Big 12 basically isn't giving a poo poo about the Baylor situation then they definitely shouldn't care about BYUs issues.

Kicking out a school versus deciding on letting one in really aren't equivalent.

Also people acting like pressure from these LGBT groups won't influence the decision makers--not to necessarily say they will be THE deciding factor--are only fooling themselves. The country is continuing to trend very rapidly and strongly in a direction that makes the policies of an institution like BYU unacceptable for a majority of the population.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Cincinnati and Houston, please. Cincinnati's pros don't even need to be stated at this point; if the Big 12 expands they're pretty much a lock. I know all the handwringing about Houston regarding recruiting in the Big 12 and MORE TEXAS, but they make sense geographically and are located in a large metro, which makes access/transportation easy if nothing else. If not Houston, then Tulane. Good academic school, and away games in Nawlins would be so awesome.

Thermos H Christ posted:

gently caress BYU forever

:agreed:

:agreed:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Thoguh posted:

I don't think access is a big deal for Houston compared to Memphis. MEM isn't a hub for anybody other than FedEx but it is still a pretty big airport that isn't any tougher to get to via commercial than any other town in the conference save Dallas.

Fair point regarding travel, but of course UH brings a lot more to the table program-wise than Memphis. I keep hearing that Memphis is getting/will get some FedEx money, but billionaire benefactors don't necessarily buy you high-level, sustained success. Just ask Oklahoma State fans.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

Oklahoma wants the SEC instead

Who at OU does? Certainly not the administration or athletic department.

Boren has had his eyes on the PAC since all this realignment crap started 5-6 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

All major media outlets reporting officially that the Big 12 is not expanding.

Don't know what's worse: 10 teams and a CCG or BYU in the conference.

• Locked thread