Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck

Get out of here with that pointy-faced nonsense, I am not interested unless your puss could be gifted to the Southeast Asian 1%. Just look at that round MUG. Appleheads only, thank you very much.

Gorgeous. Just gorgeous. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these pedigreed puss-wah's. Siamese, Balinese, whatever. Bali's are just the long-haired version anyway and I am not a Picky Pete.

Get a load of this guy. He's a real rum-tum-tigger, if you know what I mean. His dad probably bought him a cat tree that he only pretends to use when company is over. Lazy snob. Still want him, 'tho.

I am smitten by this kitten. I want a cat of this variety to own and spoil. I have a problem though, I live in Wisconsin. Does anyone know where I can find these felines? I've tried Hoobly, Petfinder, and the local shelters. I'm even having trouble finding a local breeder. All of them are peddling the triangle-heads and that is not what I am looking for. I need those heads to be fat and round. FAT and ROUND.

Hahahaha who would love this? Not me, that's who. Okay I'd probably love it. Gettin' lost in them blue eyes I hope he doesn't put something in my drink ha ha

PM me or reply to this thread if you know where I can get a legit Applehead Siamese cat in Wisconsin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

Still having no luck on my quest. Can anyone recommend alternatives to Craigslist, Petfinder, Hoobly, and local shelters? If I could find a breeder, I'd check them out. The ones I've found in my area haven't been updated in years.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
https://www.purebredcatrescue.org is in Wisconsin and has a couple of round headed kitties you might like. :3:

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013
Some breeders will ship their kittens. You could ask a shelter if they would do a resuce train were a group of people transport the cat across the country.

What about this breeder

http://crystalsiamese.webs.com/kittens.htm

The blue bunny fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 22, 2016

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

Great suggestions! I've sent an email to Crystal Springs and have purebredcatrescue.org bookmarked. :D

Ferryll
Sep 16, 2013

<3

Seconding http://www.purebredcatrescue.org/
A few years ago, a friend of mine adopted an appleheaded Siamese from the rescue. She had a great experience and had to drive to Wisconsin (a state over) for her fuzzy friend. She says if she ever got another cat, it would definitely be through them.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

Crystal Springs emailed me back..

I think I'm gonna die. :magical:

hate hoot
Nov 7, 2012
My family has gotten three round-headed Siamese just by cruising the local shelters. The first one, a seal-pointed prince among cats originally found wandering stray in an Ikea parking lot, sadly passed away after three years due to hypertropic cardiomyopathy, a heart condition where the primary symptom is dropping dead. (This was after :20bux: had been spent on his cardiology appointments and he'd been entered in a blood study and everything). My mom was absolutely crushed and said she could never love a cat again...this lasted about two months before we adopted a bonded pair with every-so-slightly pointier faces and not a tooth between them, along with a fat black senior mog-cat who I have to admit was kind of a charity case. The two Siamese are chocolate point and blue point and both are clingy and vocal as hell, just to the breed standard. The little blue girl will sit outside of a certain room she dislikes and scream at us until we come out again. The chocolate boy sounds just like a billy goat and pooped all over my mom's lap the first time she held him.

Can't recommend shelter Siamese highly enough. Just bide your time and the right one will present itself.

hate hoot fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 24, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Do snowshoes count?

That's Panda, who sadly passed with that wave of poisoned Chinese food from a few years back.

My current, the lovable rear end in a top hat, Smoke

Neither were purebred, as that breed is exceptionally rare when it comes to actually meeting the requirements of the breed. Most snowshoes have this appearance.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
The best Siamese cat video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwSYm1NPHP4.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I love Siamese, and I miss Clawdia, but I can't imagine having two of them yelling in stereo, 24 hours a day.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The best part of this is that the door is open and they can go do whatever they want in the whole house but they are so offended by the shower being on that they have to stay there and voice their objections until it's off. So great.

Burned Wonton
Feb 8, 2005
Pyrex lids melt when you cook wontons on them in the microwave

I get this from mine when I take baths. I'm not sure if he's concerned that I might be drowning, or if he's just really offended that I'm occupying what he perceives to be his water fountain. Probably the latter.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

Look at my catte. Look at my darling boy. Mwuah. Mwuah! I love him and he loves me. I am nothing but a warm lap for him. I am a worthless source of food and heat and belly rubs. When I die, he will not hesitate to eat the flesh from my bones. Look at this special and precious boy.

I have named him Chairman Meow. I am sorry. I'm afraid The Chairman already knows his unfortunate name.

He lives on my lap. I cannot get him off of my lap. Please help. He follows me around constantly and is always using me for warmth and belly rubs. I am a slave.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Flavor Truck posted:

Look at my catte. Look at my darling boy. Mwuah. Mwuah! I love him and he loves me. I am nothing but a warm lap for him. I am a worthless source of food and heat and belly rubs. When I die, he will not hesitate to eat the flesh from my bones. Look at this special and precious boy.

I have named him Chairman Meow. I am sorry. I'm afraid The Chairman already knows his unfortunate name.

He lives on my lap. I cannot get him off of my lap. Please help. He follows me around constantly and is always using me for warmth and belly rubs. I am a slave.

Oh my, what a handsome boy. :3:

And yeah, Meezers are total lap hogs. Clawdia got her own electric blanket so she wasn't always hogging laps.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
Got one for the missus on Saturday for Valentines day:

Also, this webcam is garbage. But yeah these are her favorite things in order:

1. Belly rubs
2. Naps
3. Chicken food/treats

Everything else though.. Toys? Naw. Salmon food? Heh. Leaving the bed other than to poop/pee? Surely you jest. She gets curious and ventures around the bedroom late at night but has yet to cross the threshold into the rest of the house. There be the land of other kitties. We have a Hemingway that someone actually stole from his estate as a kitten, then somehow ended up 10 counties away in an SPCA near me. So she's been my cat for like 12 years now. Tiger striped, white stomach/chin/feet, not just any old polydactyl but the prototypical Hemingway cat. She likes the new kitten. She'll come by the bedroom door, stand, stare, flick her tail and walk away. However, our all brown striped short hair wants nothing to do with her. Short hair will walk in, jump up on the bed, notice that there's still this other loving cat in the house for some reason, hiss, and run away.

Anyway yeah, Siamese are p cool. I've had cats all my life and never ever had a kitten that loses it's loving mind as soon as you start rubbing her belly. She'll go from standing and just fall to the side if you reach under and start rubbing her belly. Just the cutest loving thing ever.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
you should get a dog instead or a snake or a bird those are good pets

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

Nooner posted:

you should get a dog instead or a snake or a bird those are good pets

Ty nuner but we got it frome here

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

Anyway yeah, Siamese are p cool. I've had cats all my life and never ever had a kitten that loses it's loving mind as soon as you start rubbing her belly. She'll go from standing and just fall to the side if you reach under and start rubbing her belly. Just the cutest loving thing ever.

Word. My little dude demands bel bel rubs on the reg. I feel like a darn rub slave over here! Give us an update on the grown cats/kitten drama. Has she left the bedroom yet?

We got ours from a vet tech who also breeds and she suggested that we remove everything from one of our bathrooms and keep him in there until he grew bored of the room and tried to escape whenever we opened the door. It worked really well! I guess it's about expanding their "world" one room at a time when they begin showing confidence.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Finn is not impressed girlfriend made him wear this hat for his birthday.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Flavor Truck posted:

Get out of here with that pointy-faced nonsense, I am not interested unless your puss could be gifted to the Southeast Asian 1%. Just look at that round MUG. Appleheads only, thank you very much.

Hahahaha who would love this? Not me, that's who. Okay I'd probably love it. Gettin' lost in them blue eyes I hope he doesn't put something in my drink ha ha

My mother has two of these ugly loving things, brother and sister. They're actually pretty smart and she walks them on leads. The'yre decent mousers too. Downside is they keep bringing her mice at 3 in the morning and a few weeks ago she got a cyst on her lip because one of the cats brought her a live mouse and tried to force feed it to her in her sleep and the mouse bit her.

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug

princecoo posted:

My mother has two of these ugly loving things, brother and sister. They're actually pretty smart and she walks them on leads. The'yre decent mousers too. Downside is they keep bringing her mice at 3 in the morning and a few weeks ago she got a cyst on her lip because one of the cats brought her a live mouse and tried to force feed it to her in her sleep and the mouse bit her.

holy poo poo

I grew up with appleheads and appleheads have never tried to force feed me a mouse while unconscious. Appleheads for life.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

VikingSkull posted:

Do snowshoes count?

:rms:

Ridgewell
Apr 29, 2009

Ai tolja tahitta ferlip inbaul intada oh'l! Andatdohn meenis ferlip ineer oh'l!
I am considering adopting this seven years old Siamese tomcat from a shelter.

Interaction with him was OK, I think. He readily approached me and sniffed me carefully. I gave him a treat and he played with me/my hand. In the course of that we had his claws out just a tiny bit, but as far as I know that's totally normal play behavior, not aggressive.

Background: I have never owned a cat before, but have though about it for several years now. I live alone in an apartment of approximately 50 m² (530 ft²). I work long hours and am sometimes gone for a night on the weekends. This is why I thought about adopting an older, independent cat.

The people at the shelter recommended him to me as a cat who does not get along all too well with other cats and likely will not mind being alone at my place.

I wish to give a cat a loving and caring home and would appreciate a cat who doesn't need to be cuddled and held all the time (for the reasons just mentioned; though cuddling doesn't hurt, of course).

What do you of the SA Siamese Appreciation Society say to that?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
He's not an actual tomcat, right, he was neutered when he was young?

Ridgewell
Apr 29, 2009

Ai tolja tahitta ferlip inbaul intada oh'l! Andatdohn meenis ferlip ineer oh'l!

Anne Whateley posted:

He's not an actual tomcat, right, he was neutered when he was young?

Yes. Sorry, English is not my native language and I was not aware that a neutered male cat is not actually a "tomcat". :)

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Ridgewell posted:

I am considering adopting this seven years old Siamese tomcat from a shelter.

Interaction with him was OK, I think. He readily approached me and sniffed me carefully. I gave him a treat and he played with me/my hand. In the course of that we had his claws out just a tiny bit, but as far as I know that's totally normal play behavior, not aggressive.

Background: I have never owned a cat before, but have though about it for several years now. I live alone in an apartment of approximately 50 m² (530 ft²). I work long hours and am sometimes gone for a night on the weekends. This is why I thought about adopting an older, independent cat.

The people at the shelter recommended him to me as a cat who does not get along all too well with other cats and likely will not mind being alone at my place.

I wish to give a cat a loving and caring home and would appreciate a cat who doesn't need to be cuddled and held all the time (for the reasons just mentioned; though cuddling doesn't hurt, of course).

What do you of the SA Siamese Appreciation Society say to that?

Siamese usually crave attention, but I guess if the shelter thinks he'll be okay being alone for a while then it's probably okay? I have a Balinese and she seems fine being at home while we're at work, though the lazy fucker does just sleep most of the time. We get a sitter or friend in when we're away overnight though.

You are aware of these noise this breed makes right? We had ours in an apartment when we first got her and the neighbours weren't too pleased. Hope you have thick walls and floors/ceilings.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Flavor Truck posted:

Oh my :3: :3:

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

oh my lord, what a cute kitty! post more pics of that handsome lil boy.

fluffykittys
Aug 22, 2016

I can't hear you over the sound of me licking my own anus.
Check out all this hott pussy. I live and die for Siamese. Legit, classic, Saimese pussy. Me-Yow.
Really, though, I'm so obsessed with colorpoints. I love the two that I have now, for whom I was there when they were born in the shelter. And I also ended up taking their father, who was also a classic Siamese, for the rest of his life. So much love for this thread.
Attached is a picture of my son, practicing his meditation. Because of course, being from Siam, he is Buddhist

fluffykittys fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 22, 2016

fluffykittys
Aug 22, 2016

So, I was listening to the radio one day, and they start talking about Siamese cats. And the guy talking asks the question, "What happens if you put a Siamese cat in the refrigerator?" Of course, he was joking around as a lead in to talking about how their fur changes colors with their skin temperature, but I (like the derptard that I sometimes am) totally had a freak-out moment where I was going, "What!? Why are you putting cat in the fridge?! Terrible things will happen!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Our siamese panicked while we were away for the weekend and pissed all over the front of our entertainment center so multiple game systems and 50+ game cases are saturated with pee. We've spent upwards of $1500 on vet bills trying to figure out what the problem is. He's not sick, has no medical issues at all. Behavioral meds have had no effect. He is literally destroying everything we own.

Ideas before we rehome him?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Our siamese panicked while we were away for the weekend and pissed all over the front of our entertainment center so multiple game systems and 50+ game cases are saturated with pee. We've spent upwards of $1500 on vet bills trying to figure out what the problem is. He's not sick, has no medical issues at all. Behavioral meds have had no effect. He is literally destroying everything we own.

Ideas before we rehome him?

Does he only play up when you're away from home?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

alphabettitouretti posted:

Does he only play up when you're away from home?

Nope. He walked over to a bookshelf and sprayed when I had my back turned. We've estimated there's at least $1200 worth of damage to the apartment in carpeting and molding we'll be charged for when we move.

fluffykittys
Aug 22, 2016

He may be lonely or bored. Have you considered another cat? More catnip? More interactive playtime? More frequent litter box cleanings? Taking him outside on harness and leash?
What does he like to do for fun? Is he more sociable or more isolated? He may want more attention, or a quiet, isolated place all to himself.
Also, if the initial incident was while you were away, he may still be punishing you for leaving in the first place. In which case, the behavior should stop as time passes, and in the future, board him elsewhere when you leave, so that he associates the boarding facility instead of his home with his distress.

fluffykittys fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 24, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fluffykittys posted:

He may be lonely or bored. Have you considered another cat? More catnip? More interactive playtime? More frequent litter box cleanings? Taking him outside on harness and leash?
What does he like to do for fun? Is he more sociable or more isolated? He may want more attention, or a quiet, isolated place all to himself.
Also, if the initial incident was while you were away, he may still be punishing you for leaving in the first place. In which case, the behavior should stop as time passes, and in the future, board him elsewhere when you leave, so that he associates the boarding facility instead of his home with his distress.

We have two other cats, he gets catnip all the time, we play whenever we are home, I clean all the boxes every other day and he is terrified of the outdoors so no harness.

He's been peeing on stuff for a while actually. He's been peeing all over the apartment for a long time, we just figured we'd stay hear long enough until the mandatory carpet replacement came around. But now he's damaged or destroyed a lot of things that I don't have the money to replace right now.

But we love this guy so the idea of getting rid of him is painful.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Has he been neutered?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Drum posted:

Oh my, what a handsome boy. :3:

And yeah, Meezers are total lap hogs. Clawdia got her own electric blanket so she wasn't always hogging laps.

Oh my sweet baby Jesus that is a cute cat

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

fluffykittys posted:

So, I was listening to the radio one day, and they start talking about Siamese cats. And the guy talking asks the question, "What happens if you put a Siamese cat in the refrigerator?" Of course, he was joking around as a lead in to talking about how their fur changes colors with their skin temperature, but I (like the derptard that I sometimes am) totally had a freak-out moment where I was going, "What!? Why are you putting cat in the fridge?! Terrible things will happen!"

:aaa: I had no idea that this was the reason for the color pattern. When I was a kid, my neighbor had a Siamese that had to have surgery for some reason when it was young (something went wrong when neutering, I think). They cut in through the cat's side, and of course shaved a square patch of fur off where they made the incision. When the fur grew back, it was black just like his points. I wonder if the circulation didn't come back to the area properly or something... either way that cat looked real stupid for the next few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fluffykittys
Aug 22, 2016

Esme posted:

:aaa: I had no idea that this was the reason for the color pattern. When I was a kid, my neighbor had a Siamese that had to have surgery for some reason when it was young (something went wrong when neutering, I think). They cut in through the cat's side, and of course shaved a square patch of fur off where they made the incision. When the fur grew back, it was black just like his points. I wonder if the circulation didn't come back to the area properly or something... either way that cat looked real stupid for the next few years.

Sucks to be that cat. XD
I've also had weird things happen that I can't explain, like when my cat got an infection in her face, just her face turned grey for about a year, and then it went away. Apparently, that's a Siamese thing, but no one knows why it happens.

• Locked thread