Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Ridgewell posted:

I am considering adopting this seven years old Siamese tomcat from a shelter.

Interaction with him was OK, I think. He readily approached me and sniffed me carefully. I gave him a treat and he played with me/my hand. In the course of that we had his claws out just a tiny bit, but as far as I know that's totally normal play behavior, not aggressive.

Background: I have never owned a cat before, but have though about it for several years now. I live alone in an apartment of approximately 50 m² (530 ft²). I work long hours and am sometimes gone for a night on the weekends. This is why I thought about adopting an older, independent cat.

The people at the shelter recommended him to me as a cat who does not get along all too well with other cats and likely will not mind being alone at my place.

I wish to give a cat a loving and caring home and would appreciate a cat who doesn't need to be cuddled and held all the time (for the reasons just mentioned; though cuddling doesn't hurt, of course).

What do you of the SA Siamese Appreciation Society say to that?

Siamese usually crave attention, but I guess if the shelter thinks he'll be okay being alone for a while then it's probably okay? I have a Balinese and she seems fine being at home while we're at work, though the lazy fucker does just sleep most of the time. We get a sitter or friend in when we're away overnight though.

You are aware of these noise this breed makes right? We had ours in an apartment when we first got her and the neighbours weren't too pleased. Hope you have thick walls and floors/ceilings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Our siamese panicked while we were away for the weekend and pissed all over the front of our entertainment center so multiple game systems and 50+ game cases are saturated with pee. We've spent upwards of $1500 on vet bills trying to figure out what the problem is. He's not sick, has no medical issues at all. Behavioral meds have had no effect. He is literally destroying everything we own.

Ideas before we rehome him?

Does he only play up when you're away from home?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Has he been neutered?

• Locked thread