Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Our siamese panicked while we were away for the weekend and pissed all over the front of our entertainment center so multiple game systems and 50+ game cases are saturated with pee. We've spent upwards of $1500 on vet bills trying to figure out what the problem is. He's not sick, has no medical issues at all. Behavioral meds have had no effect. He is literally destroying everything we own.

Ideas before we rehome him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

alphabettitouretti posted:

Does he only play up when you're away from home?

Nope. He walked over to a bookshelf and sprayed when I had my back turned. We've estimated there's at least $1200 worth of damage to the apartment in carpeting and molding we'll be charged for when we move.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fluffykittys posted:

He may be lonely or bored. Have you considered another cat? More catnip? More interactive playtime? More frequent litter box cleanings? Taking him outside on harness and leash?
What does he like to do for fun? Is he more sociable or more isolated? He may want more attention, or a quiet, isolated place all to himself.
Also, if the initial incident was while you were away, he may still be punishing you for leaving in the first place. In which case, the behavior should stop as time passes, and in the future, board him elsewhere when you leave, so that he associates the boarding facility instead of his home with his distress.

We have two other cats, he gets catnip all the time, we play whenever we are home, I clean all the boxes every other day and he is terrified of the outdoors so no harness.

He's been peeing on stuff for a while actually. He's been peeing all over the apartment for a long time, we just figured we'd stay hear long enough until the mandatory carpet replacement came around. But now he's damaged or destroyed a lot of things that I don't have the money to replace right now.

But we love this guy so the idea of getting rid of him is painful.

• Locked thread