Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

rudatron posted:

It keeps getting pointed out to you that, if you poll Taiwan on whether or not they want to be part of China, like Hong Kong, they also say no. They don't want to declare de jure independence, but they're more than happy to hold onto their de facto independence. You refuse to acknowledge this. It keeps getting pointed out to you that China is the one acting aggressive in the area, that maybe the onus should be on it to make concessions, first, before anyone does anything for it, or starts assuming it will enter talks in good faith. You refuse to acknowledge this.
Yes, China should make concessions and work towards de-escalating the situation with its neighbors. I 100% agree with that. However, this is a thread about Okinawa and US Military bases, and that's definitely more connected to US foreign policy than Chinese foreign policy, hence the former being brought up more.

quote:

It keeps getting pointed out to you that the Japanese government has sovereignty, both de facto and de jure, over Okinawa, that the Okinawans themselves may have issue with the government, but they don't seem to strongly desire a separate government system like Taiwan does, and therefore it's not illegal or wrong for the US to have bases there, because the government in Tokyo hasn't thrown away the lease yet. You refuse to acknowledge this.
Again, I would argue they oppose "independence" because they fear the backlash from the US and Japan would make their situation worse, not better. This doesn't mean they don't actually desire some degree of independence in deciding what happens on their island. Yes, the Japanese government has established control over the island, that is a fact with a long historical legacy and it is rooted in 19th century Japanese colonialism. That shouldn't mean that Tokyo has the right to completely ignore the wishes of the Okinawans.

I mean, consider this. Hypothetically, if China decided to invade and annex Taiwan, and the US didn't intervene, the Chinese would be able to achieve both de-facto and de-jure control over Taiwan. If that happened, would you consider all actions China took in Taiwan moving forward to be completely just and acceptable? If not, why won't you apply the same standard to Okinawa?

quote:

I didn't notice a disclaimer you placed between parenthesis, in a post you made. I will acknowledge this. You then take that as evidence you're being intentionally misrepresented, and claim that this misrepresentation has continued.

Is this, in your mind, what debate and discussion looks like?
No, not at all. I think you've been generally disingenuous throughout this entire debate and it has very much hampered the discussion. But if you want to change that starting here by taking the time to carefully read and understand my positions then I'm fine with that I won't hold your previous posts against you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Well last time China moved to invade Taiwan the US did intervene and war was averted.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Chomskyan posted:

Yes, China should make concessions and work towards de-escalating the situation with its neighbors. I 100% agree with that. However, this is a thread about Okinawa and US Military bases, and that's definitely more connected to US foreign policy than Chinese foreign policy, hence the former being brought up more.

Okinawa is the lynchpin of the entire American military presence in East Asia, and your repeated attempts to shift focus like this when you're cornered on some point are hilariously disingenuous. Tell me how the US continuing the status quo of its military presence in the region can be reasonably construed as an escalation.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Boogaleeboo posted:

You've yet to address how the US maintaining it's status quo is an escalation, especially one comparable to building artificial islands to lay claim to more territory.
Building new bases is not the "status quo", nor is a completely new policy of threatening to go to war with China over the Senkaku/Daioyu islands. Also some of the naval exercises between the US and it's allies are new. The US military exercises with the Philippines for example. Also certain US training drills with Japan.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

You fundamentally don't understand the tenets of representative democracy, do you?

Chomskyan posted:

Building new bases is not the "status quo"

Sure it is. Bases hold an arbitrary number of people and equipment, you could have 3 times as many that hold half as much as the last batch did, or conversely you could have one shack with a million rape fueled marines packed together like sardines with a single M1911 between them. Bases on Okinawa, period, is an issue. The number and configuration is largely irrelevant.

quote:

nor is a completely new policy of threatening to go to war with China over the Senkaku/Daioyu islands

Japan lays claim to them, Anpo jōyaku states we have to have their back on it, the end. I'm sorry the law is confusing to the Chinese, but what are you going to do?

quote:

Also some of the naval exercises between the US and it's allies are new.

Naval exercises themselves are not, and they've never been exactly the same.

Again, America does largely the exact same thing and you compare it to the Chinese building artificial islands.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 24, 2016

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Boogaleeboo posted:

You fundamentally don't understand the tents of representative democracy, do you?
What does this have to do with whether or not those actions are escalations?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Chomskyan posted:

Building new bases is not the "status quo", nor is a completely new policy of threatening to go to war with China over the Senkaku/Daioyu islands. Also some of the naval exercises between the US and it's allies are new. The US military exercises with the Philippines for example. Also certain US training drills with Japan.

Oh man the horror of working for the defense of countries that are the target of nationalist expansion.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Chomskyan posted:

These are at most minor escalations, and it's a stretch to even call them that. As mentioned the new Okinawa base is motivated as much by a desire to shift the burden to less populated parts of the island as it is by expansion, and conducting military drills with close allies is a normal part of military cooperation between any countries. It is for all effective purposes a continuation of the status quo. Meanwhile China is actively and increasingly infringing on the territorial integrity of multiple neighbors, and openly threatening military escalation and war

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 24, 2016

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Chomskyan posted:

What does this have to do with whether or not those actions are escalations?

Do you fundamentally understand what a representative democracy is?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

They're both pretty self evident to any reasonable person, considering the aforementioned revanchist ultranationlism, general arrogance and aggression of the current Chinese government, plus basic geographic and military facts
Well considering that 1) in the 1940s the US was able to project its force in the Asian pacific and win WW2 without any bases in Okinawa I'd argue this isn't true. It will definitely weaken the US's ability to project force, but not eliminate it. This is even more true considering we're talking at the moment about removing only 1 base from Okinawa, not all of them. 2) The US has had massive diplomatic breakthroughs with China before, including the 3 Joint Communiqués. What's so inherently unworkable about the Chinese government now that wasn't unworkable when Mao Zedong was literally still in power?

quote:

The American security relationship with Taiwan includes both the base in Okinawa and selling them arms. They're both important
As long as you realize this is a change in position which undermines your previous argument against diplomacy with China waaay back in the thread.

quote:

The American base-building is as much refurbishing and reshuffling of the bases as it is expansion, I would argue no that's not a meaningful escalation taken out of context.
Since the base being built at Henoko has significantly more capabilities than the base at Futenma, it is pretty clearly an expansion. This is also assuming the US will follow through on removing Futenma.

quote:

As for driving warships around China's illegal islands that's an escalation, but not an unprovoked one, and not one that is out of proportion to the initial Chinese provocation.
I suppose we more or less agree then. Although, the trouble isn't necessarily any one escalation, but the sum of all these escalations together.

quote:

And finally, reaffirming that the US would go to war over the territorial integrity of one of its closest allies isn't a escalation either, because that's self-evident even without a press release confirming it
It's hardly a settled matter that the Senkaku/Daioyu islands belong to Japan under international law. The Chinese actually have a fairly strong legal argument for why it belongs to them (in a nut shell, they were administered by China until Japan annexed them in 1895). The official stance of the US on the matter is that they're neutral (they have no stance on whether they belong to Japan or China). Given that it's pretty reckless and provocative for the US to state its willing to go to war with China over two disputed rocks in the middle of the ocean.

Also I should mention I think it's reckless and provocative for China to patrol the waters around the islands, since I apparently have to balance every criticism of the US with a criticism of China to avoid being accused of treason by the :fsmug: squad.

quote:

It really, really does boil down to this for you:
You apparently just can't help yourself with this dumb bullshit.

icantfindaname posted:

These are at most minor escalations, and it's a stretch to even call them that. As mentioned the new Okinawa base is motivated as much by a desire to shift the burden to less populated parts of the island as it is by expansion, and conducting military drills with close allies is a normal part of military cooperation between any countries. It is for all effective purposes a continuation of the status quo. Meanwhile China is actively and increasingly infringing on the territorial integrity of multiple neighbors, and openly threatening military escalation and war
You're shifting goalposts. This was your original claim:

icantfindaname posted:

This thread is about the US reshuffling the configuration of its already-existing bases in Okinawa to lessen the burden on the Okinawan people. There's no escalation involved, and no provocation behind the Chinese expansion into the SCS. If you have evidence otherwise please show it. The 'evidence' shown thus far has been of the 'China's gonna rule the world so gently caress you it's provocation if you don't do what they say' variety
The claim was that "there's no escalation involved, and no provocation behind the Chinese expansion into the SCS". It seems you're now conceding that the US has been escalating the situation as well, even if you are trying to minimize and apologize for it by calling them "minor" (lol at threatening war over rocks in the sea being "minor"). I also never been convinced by your claim that the scale of escalations is significantly connected to how illegal they are under conventional international law. Alluding to the example I made before, China invading and annexing Taiwan is arguably more legal than building artificial islands in international waters. But you'd have to be insane to claim the former is less provocative than the latter.

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 24, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chomskyan posted:

Well considering that 1) in the 1940s the US was able to project its force in the Asian pacific and win WW2 without any bases in Okinawa I'd argue this isn't true.

It's a good thing nothing about the Asian Pacific geopolitical situation has changed since the 1940s.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

It's a good thing nothing about the Asian Pacific geopolitical situation has changed since the 1940s.
I didn't say that, but the burden is on icantfindaname to demonstrate his point.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Do you agree that the Chinese escalation in the SCS is greatly out of proportion to any American escalation you say is happening? China is the net escalator here, and I don't think you can reasonably argue otherwise. Considering that China is actively escalating, plus the Chinese government's ideological character and its apparent confidence in / arrogance concerning its current and future strength, I do not think a diplomatic deal as proposed by the war college guy would be a fruitful path forwards. The Joint Communiques were made at a nadir of Chinese power, and when they needed an ally against the Soviets; my impression of the current Chinese government is that they're not interested in a negotiated settlement

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 24, 2016

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Both the Japan and US are not in a vacuum, the reason the bases exist is because of China, you don't get to dodge the issue. Your attempt to 'unskew the polls' is laughable - if the Okinawans are 'afraid' and, therefore, anonymous phone polls that clearly show a majority for remaining a part of Japan, are not reliable, then why is it that Taiwan, in a much more precarious position, refuses to give up de-facto independence? Do I get to unskew the polls in whatever direction I want, or is this something you've only granted upon yourself? How do you know 100% of Okinawans are actually fine with the US bases, but are really scared of upsetting both you and Effectronica. *Washes hands* case closed.

The point about comparison with Okinawa and Taiwan was about consent of the governed. Taiwan doesn't want to be part of the PRC. Okinawa does want to be part of Japan. You need to accept these facts. I have been consistent in my standards. You do the same.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Chomskyan posted:

Since the base being built at Henoko has significantly more capabilities than the base at Futenma, it is pretty clearly an expansion

I'm sorry, why would a new base being more advanced and functional than a base built in 1945 be surprising?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Boogaleeboo posted:

I'm sorry, why would a new base being more advanced and functional than a base built in 1945 be surprising?
I didn't say it was surprising, just that it is an escalation.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Chomskyan posted:

I didn't say it was surprising, just that it is an escalation.

I agree, the advancement of the human race is a threat to the existence of the PRC.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Effectronica posted:

Taiwan has been part of China for more than 200 years. The idea that this condition remains is actually much stronger than Japanese claims that Okinawa and the Ryukyus are integral parts of Japan, or that Alaska and Hawai'i are integral parts of the United States of America.

Now, only about 2% of the people of Taiwan want to live under the brutal oligarchic rule of the Communist Party of China, but this insistence on a kind of telepathy wherein the establishment of a democratic government on mainland China would see Taiwan declaring total independence as the only possibility is spooky. It suggests that you all are something not quite human, with how in lockstep you think and act.

Are you having a stroke? You seem to be hallucinating other people's responses to alt-history events.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

Do you agree that the Chinese escalation in the SCS is greatly out of proportion to any American escalation you say is happening? China is the net escalator here, and I don't think you can reasonably argue otherwise.
I don't think it's an appropriate response for China to be building artificial islands in the South China Sea, because I don't agree with further escalating the situation on either side. I do think that the escalations on both sides are more or less equal, although there's no objective way to measure this.

quote:

Considering that China is actively escalating, plus the Chinese government's ideological character and its apparent confidence in / arrogance concerning its current and future strength, I do not think a diplomatic deal as proposed by the war college guy would be a fruitful path forwards. The Joint Communiques were made at a nadir of Chinese power, and when they needed an ally against the Soviets; my impression of the current Chinese government is that they're not interested in a negotiated settlement
I would argue that China is acting from a position of weakness and views itself as being encircled by the US. It's wants to expand its regional influence and see's the best way of doing that as acting aggressively. But I also think there's a good chance they'd accept a grand bargain like Goldstein is proposing if the US were willing to stop escalations on its end and make movements towards diplomacy.

For what its worth, the US would also probably be willing to deal with China if they made similar gestures.

rudatron posted:

Both the Japan and US are not in a vacuum, the reason the bases exist is because of China, you don't get to dodge the issue. Your attempt to 'unskew the polls' is laughable - if the Okinawans are 'afraid' and, therefore, anonymous phone polls that clearly show a majority for remaining a part of Japan, are not reliable, then why is it that Taiwan, in a much more precarious position, refuses to give up de-facto independence? Do I get to unskew the polls in whatever direction I want, or is this something you've only granted upon yourself? How do you know 100% of Okinawans are actually fine with the US bases, but are really scared of upsetting both you and Effectronica. *Washes hands* case closed.
Again, you're twisting my words. My point wasn't that the Okinawans are literally scared of the government coming after them if they answer a certain way in the polls. I believe their answers to the polls are based on a rational calculation, where they see themselves as being worse off leaving Japan than staying in it. That doesn't mean they're happy with the status quo. In fact, we know they're not because we've asked them in other polls what they think of the new US military base and they're against it in huge numbers.

quote:

The point about comparison with Okinawa and Taiwan was about consent of the governed. Taiwan doesn't want to be part of the PRC. Okinawa does want to be part of Japan. You need to accept these facts. I have been consistent in my standards. You do the same
We're just going in circles at this point. Yes, Taiwanese people want to have a say in the way they're governed, but they don't want to declare independence because they fear the consequences. I suppose under a certain twisted logic you could argue that they are "consenting" to China's ownership of them by not formally seceding.

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 24, 2016

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Chomskyan posted:

I do think that the escalations on both sides are more or less equal, although there's no objective way to measure this.

One side is doing the same qualitative things it has always done, in relatively the same quantity too. The other isn't, by a clear and overwhelming margin. That seems fairly objective.

quote:

But I also think there's a good chance they'd accept a grand bargain like Goldstein is proposing

I think we could kill them all with biological weapons and ultimately nobody would care, thankfully the US only rare sets foreign policy based on the ideas of crazy people. And removing US bases from US soil to make China feel better is exactly as crazy as what I just said.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Chomskyan posted:

I don't think it's an appropriate response for China to be building artificial islands in the South China Sea, because I don't agree with further escalating the situation on either side. I do think that the escalations on both sides are more or less equal, although there's no objective way to measure this.

I would argue that China is acting from a position of weakness and views itself as being encircled by the US. It's wants to expand its regional influence and see's the best way of doing that as acting aggressively. But I also think there's a good chance they'd accept a grand bargain like Goldstein is proposing if the US were willing to stop escalations on its end and make movements towards diplomacy.

For what its worth, the US would also probably be willing to deal with China if they made similar gestures.

We fundamentally disagree on the nature of American escalations, then. I think you can argue the US has made minor escalations, but not on a scale to justify China perceiving a major and fundamental threat to its influence and lashing out because of it. The whole argument rests on bad assumptions about American escalations. I think China is probably trying to grab as much as it can, because it realizes it is currently at or close to a local maximum in its power relative to that of the US. The correct response for the US is not to escalate, but also not to make any major concessions. Diplomatic talks wouldn't necessarily hurt the US or its influence but I would not expect them to produce any results

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 24, 2016

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Boogaleeboo posted:

One side is doing the same qualitative things it has always done, in relatively the same quantity too. The other isn't, by a clear and overwhelming margin. That seems fairly objective.
New bases, new drills, new declarations all mark escalations, even if they're not new concepts. Also your argument seems to be to define escalation in a way the encapsulates the things China does and excludes all the things the US does. This is opposite of the way you should rationally proceed, which would be to first define "escalation" and then decide which actions from the US or China fall under that definition.

quote:

I think we could kill them all with biological weapons and ultimately nobody would care, thankfully the US only rare sets foreign policy based on the ideas of crazy people. And removing US bases from US soil to make China feel better is exactly as crazy as what I just said.
What even is this? Sorry dude, I just don't get your edgy "joke" about mass murdering Chinese people. Or how removing an unpopular US base is the same as mass murdering Chinese people. Or whatever it is you're trying and failing to communicate.

icantfindaname posted:

We fundamentally disagree on the nature of American escalations, then. I think you can argue the US has made minor escalations, but not on a scale to justify China perceiving a major and fundamental threat to its influence and lashing out because of it. The whole argument rests on bad assumptions about American escalations. I think China is probably trying to grab as much as it can, because it realizes it is currently at or close to a local maximum in its power relative to that of the US. The correct response for the US is not to escalate, but also not to make any major concessions. Diplomatic talks wouldn't necessarily hurt the US or its influence but I would not expect them to produce any results
Oh no, I think US actions do pose a very real threat to Chinese influence. I just don't believe the Chinese have any right to "influence" outside its own legally defined borders, nor does the US or any other state in the world. The creation of new military bases, deepening military ties with rival nations, and the enforcement of dubious territorial claims through the threat of military force, carried out by the US, all serve to undermine China's relative power in the region. If China's goal is to protect its influence, then its lashing out is perfectly understandable*. Especially when you consider the "century of humiliation" mindset that is pervasive among Chinese nationalists.

The problem is that their actions threaten the rights of their neighbors, and more importantly threaten to draw China into a conflict with the US which could be very serious. They're willing to risk that because like any other rising power they want to treasure and influence that comes with winning "the Great Game". But if it comes down to it, they'll be willing to bargain if they feel it benefits them more than the status quo. At the end of the day neither China nor the US want a war. The problem is that it might happen anyways if both sides continue to feel obligated to escalate and not back down in any way.

*(note: I didn't say reasonable, because I don't believe in any state's "right" to influence beyond its boundaries)

e: I think your proposal for how the US should proceed would be an improvement over the status quo.

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 24, 2016

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Chomskyan posted:

New bases, new drills, new declarations all mark escalations, even if they're not new concepts.

Why?

quote:

Also your argument seems to be to define escalation in a way the encapsulates the things China does and excludes all the things the US does.

No it doesn't, it defines it as one side taking radically new action while the other doesn't. Which you haven't refuted, you've just said that "Well this is new too". Ok, that's a stupid argument you've made a few times. Try backing it up. Mine is so manifestly simple it doesn't require much. The only way you can list US renovation in Japan as an 'escalation' is by a logic that also counts the advancement of the....well honestly like 5 guys in the Chinese military that have gear that was state of the art in the late 80s, but still. Those 5 guys suddenly using better tech as an escalation. And if you do, it's a wash. Their tech goes up, ours go up, all the same in the end.

Building new islands to lay claim to more territory is naked expansionism, and a massive escalation by every conceivable metric. We are doing nothing that is vaguely similar. They are escalating, clearly. We are not, as all actions are clearly matched by the same qualitative types of actions from them. They build new bases, have new drills, and so forth. They are the ones breaking the status quo with new aggressive moves. We are not.

quote:

What even is this? Sorry dude, I just don't get your edgy "joke" about mass murdering Chinese people. Or how removing an unpopular US base is the same as mass murdering Chinese people. Or whatever it is you're trying and failing to communicate.

I'm sorry, we'll add basic literary analysis to understanding of basic democratic practices and value judgments on the massive list of poo poo you don't understand. To dumb it down, suggesting we should weaken the defense of US citizens on US soil in Guam to make China feel better is the strategy of a crazy person, as is mass murdering the Chinese. And it's *exactly* as likely the US will do either. Was that straightforward enough for you?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Because those actions all present new threats to the way China exerts influence within the region. Just like China building artificial islands in the South China Sea threatens the way the US exerts influence in the region. And before you make another dumb argument accusing me of supporting the Chinese position, I don't, but obviously Chinese perspectives matter when determining what is considered an escalation on the Chinese side. Just like US perspectives, and the perspectives of China's neighbors are important when determining what is considered an escalation from their side.

quote:

No it doesn't, it defines it as one side taking radically new action while the other doesn't. Which you haven't refuted, you've just said that "Well this is new too". Ok, that's a stupid argument you've made a few times. Try backing it up. Mine is so manifestly simple it doesn't require much. The only way you can list US renovation in Japan as an 'escalation' is by a logic that also counts the advancement of the....well honestly like 5 guys in the Chinese military that have gear that was state of the art in the late 80s, but still. Those 5 guys suddenly using better tech as an escalation. And if you do, it's a wash. Their tech goes up, ours go up, all the same in the end.

Building new islands to lay claim to more territory is naked expansionism, and a massive escalation by every conceivable metric. We are doing nothing that is vaguely similar. They are escalating, clearly. We are not, as all actions are clearly matched by the same qualitative types of actions from them. They build new bases, have new drills, and so forth. They are the ones breaking the status quo with new aggressive moves. We are not.
Historically, China has claimed the territory within the 9 dash line since at least 1947, so I guess by your logic China isn't escalating at all either since none of its claims are "new" and the only thing that has changed is it is now enforcing its claims. I fully expect you to create yet another loophole in your definition as a response to hearing this.

quote:

I'm sorry, we'll add basic literary analysis to understanding of basic democratic practices and value judgments on the massive list of poo poo you don't understand. To dumb it down, suggesting we should weaken the defense of US citizens on US soil in Guam to make China feel better is the strategy of a crazy person, as is mass murdering the Chinese. And it's *exactly* as likely the US will do either. Was that straightforward enough for you?
Actually you tried to claim removing a US base from Okinawa is "exactly as crazy" as genociding the Chinese. You're now trying to subtly revise what you said and it isn't working.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
It's pretty cool how this thread is essentially a mad libs version of the Eastern Europe thread a year ago. It's like a time machine.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Chomskyan posted:

Because those actions all present new threats to the way China exerts influence within the region.

They aren't new threats, they are the same threats. Just like our ability to threaten the way they exert power increases with technology, so does their ability to exert it. To a lesser extent because their technology is poo poo, but it never matched ours. It's always been a dynamic of "We have better tech and generally better trained soldiers, they have more poo poo to throw at a situation". To hilariously simplify the issue. And that dynamic has not changed. At all. Which is the text book definition of maintaining the status quo. You haven't made the argument that the United States has exerted any meaningful escalation, or at least none any sane and reasonable person would accept.

quote:

Actually you tried to claim removing a US base from Okinawa is "exactly as crazy" as genociding the Chinese. You're now trying to subtly revise what you said and it isn't working.

No, I quoted talk about the Goldstein proposal, and talked about how reducing US presence on US soil is insane. That's a reference to Guam, which you acknowledged in a post as part of the proposal. I'm sorry you don't remember things you've said yourself, or understand what they mean, but that isn't my problem. You also said that it wasn't a big deal, which.....tell me, how exactly is reducing the defense of of US citizens on US soil to make China feel better not a big deal?

e: You really suck at this, don't you? Is it like a thought exercise for a poli sci class, or do you really just object to the fact there are people who are sometimes clearly at fault with no excuse in the world? At a certain point you just have to accept the fact that China really is taking unprovoked aggressive action wildly out of line with what any of it's neighbors are doing and move on with your life.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 24, 2016

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Bip Roberts posted:

Oh man the horror of working for the defense of countries that are the target of nationalist expansion.

Are you willing to say outright that the goal of the People's Republic of China is to invade and annex Japan and the Philippines, at an absolute minimum, or are you just engaging in Mad Libs and trying to find the right combination of words that will get people to have a come-to-Jesus moment about how great it is that the US and the Tokyo government consistently ratfuck Okinawa and its population?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
The goal of the peoples republic of china is contrary to the wishes of a majority of neighboring states who prefer the united states have more power over them than china for obvious reasons. The united states has no reason to refuse, it's not responsible for china's feelings or actions, it can only chose to benefit from them or to not.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Effectronica posted:

Are you willing to say outright that the goal of the People's Republic of China is to invade and annex Japan and the Philippines, at an absolute minimum, or are you just engaging in Mad Libs and trying to find the right combination of words that will get people to have a come-to-Jesus moment about how great it is that the US and the Tokyo government consistently ratfuck Okinawa and its population?

Well China is actively militarily expanding into Philippine and Vietnamese waters in the south china sea and has be breaking agreements with Hong Kong with regard to internal governance. Last time Taiwan elected a strongly pro autonomy government they shot missiles at them so they might start doing that again. It seems prudent to work with those countries who want it to help prepare military readiness.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Bip Roberts posted:

Well China is actively militarily expanding into Philippine and Vietnamese waters in the south china sea and has be breaking agreements with Hong Kong with regard to internal governance. Last time Taiwan elected a strongly pro autonomy government they shot missiles at them so they might start doing that again. It seems prudent to work with those countries who want it to help prepare military readiness.

OK. There's a huge leap from "wants to grab economically valuable undersea oil and gas fields" and "wants to maintain control of all of China and crush democratic dissenters" to "wants to invade and annex all their neighbors", which is what your post was intimating with "nationalist expansion". There are good reasons why the US should assist Viet Nam, the Philippines, the Republic of China, South Korea, and Japan against Chinese hegemony in the region. It would be even better if we weren't an imperial state and could act for those good reasons! However, simply saying that we self-evidently need 20% of the land area of Okinawa for military bases is not convincing. Inflating the capacities of the PLA/N is not convincing. Declaring that Okinawans have to simply deal with it is not convincing. Declaring that Japan is a functional democracy is not convincing. The vast majority of what people are saying consists of an effort to avoid dealing with the problem that 80% of Okinawans would rather take their chances with China than the USA! This is ridiculous for people saying this is about defending the people of Okinawa. I understand that you feel really proud about knowing about foreign policy, but you have to set that pride aside and look at the big issues here.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Effectronica posted:

OK. There's a huge leap from "wants to grab economically valuable undersea oil and gas fields" and "wants to maintain control of all of China and crush democratic dissenters" to "wants to invade and annex all their neighbors", which is what your post was intimating with "nationalist expansion". There are good reasons why the US should assist Viet Nam, the Philippines, the Republic of China, South Korea, and Japan against Chinese hegemony in the region. It would be even better if we weren't an imperial state and could act for those good reasons! However, simply saying that we self-evidently need 20% of the land area of Okinawa for military bases is not convincing. Inflating the capacities of the PLA/N is not convincing. Declaring that Okinawans have to simply deal with it is not convincing. Declaring that Japan is a functional democracy is not convincing. The vast majority of what people are saying consists of an effort to avoid dealing with the problem that 80% of Okinawans would rather take their chances with China than the USA! This is ridiculous for people saying this is about defending the people of Okinawa. I understand that you feel really proud about knowing about foreign policy, but you have to set that pride aside and look at the big issues here.

An opinion poll that says 80% of people in Okinawa don't want a new base doesn't mean they would rather have china put bases there. That's a stupid thing to say.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Effectronica posted:

Hmm, interesting. Maybe we should make an agreement with the Japanese government and ask them.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Bip Roberts posted:

Hmm, interesting. Maybe we should make an agreement with the Japanese government and ask them.

Yes, we should continue to legitimize the one-party pseudo-democracy of Japan. This is a very smart idea if we're suddenly going to be humanitarians rather than imperialists.

drilldo squirt posted:

An opinion poll that says 80% of people in Okinawa don't want a new base doesn't mean they would rather have china put bases there. That's a stupid thing to say.

I didn't say that, though, so I don't know why you quoted my post to talk to the aether.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
You're the one saying Okinawans would chose china over America, duder.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Effectronica posted:

Yes, we should continue to legitimize the one-party pseudo-democracy of Japan. This is a very smart idea if we're suddenly going to be humanitarians rather than imperialists.

I disagree that japan is a one party pseudo democracy, do you have anything to support this assertion?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

drilldo squirt posted:

You're the one saying Okinawans would chose china over America, duder.

Someone with a functioning brain would be able to read that in the context and see that as "Okinawans would rather face the possibility of Chinese aggression and domination than accept American military aid." I am sorry that you are lacking in this regard.

drilldo squirt posted:

I disagree that japan is a one party pseudo democracy, do you have anything to support this assertion?

The Liberal Democratic Party has, since the end of US occupation, dominated electoral politics, to the point where in 2014 they won more than 75% of seats in the Diet with 48% of the vote, and has consistently misapportioned voting districts to hold onto power, to the point where 56 of the last 60 years have seen them in control of the country. To someone of your intellectual stature, this will no doubt seem like a perfectly healthy democracy.

Effectronica fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 24, 2016

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Effectronica posted:

Someone with a functioning brain would be able to read that in the context and see that as "Okinawans would rather face the possibility of Chinese aggression and domination than accept American military aid." I am sorry that you are lacking in this regard.

I don't see where you get that idea from a poll that says 80% of Okinawan don't want a new American base. What if they have other reasons to want or not want it?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

drilldo squirt posted:

I don't see where you get that idea from a poll that says 80% of Okinawan don't want a new American base. What if they have other reasons to want or not want it?

Sure, we could assume that the inscrutable Nihonese is unfamiliar with the notion of "consequences", such that we can insist that Okinawans actually really love Americans who, judging from the members of the American Freikorps earlier in this thread, often hold the belief that Okinawa is theirs to do as they wish with, and some of whom act on it by killing, assaulting, and raping Okinawan civilians. We could do that. Or we could be something other than a stain in the fabric of life, and conclude that the justifications fail to convince this 80% of Okinawa that it's worth dealing with the Americans to have an assured defense.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Effectronica posted:

Sure, we could assume that the inscrutable Nihonese is unfamiliar with the notion of "consequences", such that we can insist that Okinawans actually really love Americans who, judging from the members of the American Freikorps earlier in this thread, often hold the belief that Okinawa is theirs to do as they wish with, and some of whom act on it by killing, assaulting, and raping Okinawan civilians. We could do that. Or we could be something other than a stain in the fabric of life, and conclude that the justifications fail to convince this 80% of Okinawa that it's worth dealing with the Americans to have an assured defense.

You're assuming a lot of things. For example you are assuming that the people who answered that poll had these reasons and not other reasons to say they didn't want a new base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Does the poll give a list of reasons they don't want a new base? What are they, if so?

• Locked thread