Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I just sat in on a lunch presentation with a Pfizer rep paid physician shill giving a presentation on selling some lovely drug. Expect many more novel drug designs like this in a pathetic attempt to dissuade people getting high as gently caress.

But hey, free lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

My Imaginary GF posted:

Perhaps some form of incentivizing individuals to return unused drugs would be a good policy intervention? Package pills in single-use containers, pay individuals to return the unused portions, prescribe the unused portions to individuals on medical assistance.

You can't regift drugs after they've left the pharmacy. Unit dose maybe, but even then it varies. Takeback programs are only now expanding beyond law enforcement. Until very recently pharmacies were not allowed to take controlled substances back.

Edit: People already explained it better than I did. But the real problem isn't the FDA, it's the DEA. Doubling down on failed policies isn't helping anyone.

reagan fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 2, 2016

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Loving the pharmacy education in here. Respect.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

How well do doctors respond when the pharmacist calls up and says hey you hosed up.

In the hospital some are gracious, others are dicks. Just like everyone else in life. At least in the hospital I have access to the full chart, and functions of the EMR that the doc doesn't have.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Pharmacist viewpoint: Antidepressants are some dark age poo poo compared to drugs for lets say, infectious diseases or hypertension. Do they work? Yes. Do they work for everyone? No. Do we have room for improvement? Lots.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Konstantin posted:

Walgreens and CVS are enabling this as well by selling 200 pill packs. There is no way someone using the product as intended could need that much.

You've clearly never suffered from Crohn's or some other GI malady. poo poo is awful.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

You know how opioids make you constipated? Imodium is just an opioid that doesn't cross the blood brain barrier (in normal therapeutic doses). So it's not as strange as the headline makes it sound, since all opioid drugs do literally the same thing as Imodium to your GI system.

Even in lower doses, Imodium is part of the core OTC cocktail of drugs you should take to help alleviate opiate withdrawal symptoms.

edit: Ah, the article mentions most of this. The headline is just a little misleading because it seems to imply that Imodium, as an anti-diarrhea medication, is somehow fundamentally different from other opioids.

Loperamide used to be a schedule II controlled substance. The entire DEA scheduling system is garbage, but this one always makes me laugh.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

tetrapyloctomy posted:

This being based on a rat study makes me pause. 3mg/kg LD50 for fentanyl? 300mcg total IVP is enough to render the average person completely apneic in my clinical experience. Sure, it's short acting, but that'll last long enough for hypoxemia and that fun spiral into a brady-down code even in a pre-oxygenated patient.

If it is being injected into a rat tail, is it forming a depot and throwing their results off?

Alternative: Hilarious typo?

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
On a similar note, my hospital was dispensing naloxone kits and now we are having issues with the police confiscating them. I have since left, but this is a very well known tourist city in the land of 10k lakes that is hardest hit by the opioid epidemic.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Subvisual Haze posted:

Declaring something is a problem is a long way from proposing solutions, and further still from allocating money to implement real changes.

Somehow they will make dealing with C2s even more time consuming. On some of my shifts I spend a non-insignificant amount of time counting pills in the narc safe. A good use of my time, for sure.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Gobbeldygook posted:

Using manufacturing quotas to cap production would be insane and unworkable. The end result would be pharmacy's raising prices on everybody. One cancer patient going on TV and explaining that they can no longer afford their painkillers because the DEA decided to cut the supply and it's over.

? There already are manufacturing quotas. This isn't a new thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

tetrapyloctomy posted:

No, we reverse fentanyl with naloxone all the time.

Edit: subdissociative ketamine is a great option, but people are going to give you side-eye for, "No, really, some doctor online told me 200 to 300 mcg per kilo run over twenty to thirty minutes would help."

So that is where that stupid dose came from? One of those ED/trauma blogs?