Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Based on these and the NSA slides, government officials should be barred from using Powerpoint.

Crimes against visual design.

Slide design is something you so not care about for internal stuff unless you got nothing else to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Screw PowerPoint training. Guess e have to get people actually competent using Word.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

paranoid randroid posted:

correct me if im wrong but, as a privately owned space, is reddit not entitled to ban any kind of speech they drat well please

In principle, yes. Warsz might probably be able to check whether the might be any special provisions limiting that right for corporations who market to the general public though.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

The Warszawa posted:

yeah but i sure as poo poo ain't gonna

Rude.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

lol you fuckers who get tax returns

I'm very lazy, so I expect 2500-3000 € tax refund for FY 2015. Don't tax shame.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

I'd you apply for welfare payments in America, are you expected to use up your own savings first before your get money from the state?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Jagchosis posted:

if you have too much savings they wont give it to you. i think most states have it at like 2 grand. iirc thats california's limit at least

Then I look forward to that kind of story coming from America as well over that rich old white piece of shirt becomes the president.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

As a rich white Brit do you think Tyson did it and got a fair trial?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Joementum posted:

oh hi chat thread what's up :eek:

The probation of zoux by the coward Absurd Alhazred.

Randler fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 22, 2016

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Aeryk posted:

Trump will continue to throw bullshit against the wall and see what sticks

* speaks up kiwially *
I don't think testing to beat Hillary at her own game is going to work out for him.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

PupsOfWar posted:

new homeworld game announced. it's a
...ground-based RTS?

weird choice

Doesn't Gearbox hold the IP? I'd remain highly sceptical.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
The vending machine in this hotels sells stuff at half the supermarket price. I don't think they get capitalism.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

V. Illych L. posted:

can someone assassinate gaussiancopula

he is such a terrible person, and he takes a perverse pride in how lovely he is

We can not cave in to Europol terrorist demands.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

BaurusJA posted:

It was more about seeing these posts pop up, almost exactly like this in format, to bait someone on an issue she or he cares about deeply.

I just didn't understand the general phenomenon. I get that dickeye loves comics sincerely, thats rather obvious.

With time you will know the tragic extent of our posting.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
My meltdowns are choreographed and rehearsed as part of my "Posting like Americans appear to third party observers".

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Doobie was actually one of the most responsible and successful goon projects.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Jagchosis posted:

i think the reason i thought the doobie saga was so funny/interesting (aside from goons giving a random racist redneck 13k for no reason) was that it illustrated an interesting aspect of an impoverished, empty, rural deep south poo poo hole town (in this case reform alabama). no one there has any hope or money and the economy is largely based out of a dissonant mix of the residents working their hardest to gently caress each other out of the meager possessions they have, and a sort of communal sense of pity and charity.

for the first point: doobie would tweet or post on facebook every minutiae of running his weird stupid restaurant so he made a nice documented story of every way in which fellow reform residents would gently caress him over and how he would try to gently caress them over. doobie is, however, a very slow (even by bumfuck alabama standards), very trusting and passive person and would thus be taken advantage of constantly. he bought a $1400 cooler only for it to be defective on delivery and just didnt know what to do because he couldnt afford to replace it. he just accepted the distributors excuse of "ah yeah we'll fix it uh ... some time" and moved on. his food supplier routinely didnt show up and charged him for nonexistant deliveries, his landlord continually raised the rent for a basically useless piece of land until he just told doobie to gently caress off under legally dubious pretenses without compensation, and all of this doobie just went along with. doobie would ratfuck others with his excessive prices and hiring teenagers to help out with the work until it was time to pay them and then apparently just got rid of them.

as for the sense of community and charity, doobie stayed in business as long as he did because he would appeal to his church to forward as much business to him as they could, and they delivered with youth groups etc stopping by doobies dog house to eat.

this has been my memorial analysis of doobie

Still a better performance than Star Citizen.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

The Warszawa posted:

all knowledge is worth learning

i hope

I'll take that as an invite to various PMs about the minutiae of French taxation concepts.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Jagchosis posted:

oh because for whatever reason in forum lore doobies and star citizen are inextricably connected i learned from the doobie demise thread that chris roberts apparently is hoping to save star citizen by releasing his spin off first person shooter (that was supposed to be a ccore feature of star citizen initially) this year to show hes doing "something" and raise additional funds with the inevitable "hit".

this fps is a story driven game with cut scenes (chris roberts boasts that it will have over 10 hours of cut scenes lol). it has gary oldman and agent scully from fbi files: alien mysteries. in an interview gillian anderson laughed about how lovely the dialogue was and how she couldnt believe she was saying that stuff so this is shaping up pretty good

I always liked it when actors were upfront about doing stuff so their wife could buy shoes, do they could pay for their castle or because they just wanted to play a vampire with a cape, goddamnit.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

The Warszawa posted:

millennials!!!!!

This but unironically.

Seriously, even the poorest minority millenials in 'murica still lives like a king (one of the normal kind, not the British kind) compared to anybody everywhere else on the planet.

Get some perspective Ameribouj. :colbert:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Also, economically you're not minimum wage, if you work minimum wage and live with your parents, because not having rental expenses is functionally the same as additional income and should be treated (and taxed!) as such. :colbert:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Two people have 100,000 CU to invest in assets.

Person A purchases a house for 100,000 CU. If he rented that house, he would have to pay 5,000 CU/year. Economically, his asset house provides him with a good/service worth 5,000 CU/year minus maintenance expenses (let's assume linear depriciation over 50 years, so 2,000 CU/year in expenses). Economically person A receives an income from his investment of 3,000 CU/year.

Person B purchases bonds that have a fixed rate of return, earning him 5,000 CU/year in interest. Assuming for ease of example, that he does not have to pay any fees related to his depot, economically B receives an income of 5,000 CU/year.

For taxation purposes, the use of living in his own house is not considered taxable income for A, while the interest of B are taxable income. So despite the difference in economic value derived from their respective investments is only 2,000 CU/year the difference in taxable income is 5,000 CU/year.

Do you really not get how that is an issue with equality in taxation that soley benefits certain kinds of investments? I.e. real estate, which nowadays isn't a realistically affordable option for most people even in Richmerica?

[From an economic point of view a millenial living at home is functionally identical to him making an investment, so the same consequences re: actual economical income apply.]

LorrdErnie posted:

this is just the sorta bold thinking we need!!!!!!

lets tax other sorts of non-income too like vegetarians for not having to pay for more expensive meats and virgins for not having to pay for condoms

Don't worry, I am not aware of any economist considering dumpster diving activities to generate relevant income.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Jagchosis posted:

no, investments need to have actual additional income to be taxed. if they take the money saved on rent and but tech stocks then by all means tax the capital gains otherwise money sitting there and not accumulating value is not income.

That is an overly narrow definition of investment that benefits a subset of asset owners and is divorced from economic reality, imo.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Jagchosis posted:

if unspent money isnt invested in some way it declines in value because of inflation so idk what your problem is

Mainly your inability or unwillingness to understand that money is interchangeable with goods and that it therefore should not make a difference whether an asset has its return in either form.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Jagchosis posted:

it sounds like youre advocating for a wealth tax which i am completely fine with but in murka we operate on an income tax basis and this doesnt pass muster sorry

I'm starting to suspect you're trolling be by feigning eurpolish ignorance, goonsire.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

euphronius posted:

I don't think Jackie Onassis earned anything until she was an editor but you would call her lower class.

I think she was maybe a news reporter for awhile.

Et tu, euphrone?

I would have expected you of all people to understand that income can received in forms other than money.

Because you remember barter economies.

Because you're very old.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I need an Ameripinion:

Is it okay to demonstrate against shelters for refugees in your city district, because 40 percent of the people living in said district have some kind of migratory background and you think it's just too much foreigners for one district to handle?

Asking for a friend social democrats.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

A Man and his dog posted:

I hope both of you get snowed in

:D

Would you say "It's cold outside"?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

That somehow snuck into a paper on logic?

I have to give him some props for arguing "That position is wrong because it is popular and gay" in a paper on logic.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

V. Illych L. posted:

the publisher is springer verlag, this is your tribe's responsibility

Horsie Springer is Luxembourgien, so file your complaints with R. Mute or Aeryk.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

V. Illych L. posted:

the publisher is springer verlag, this is your tribe's responsibility

Randler posted:

Horsie Springer is Luxembourgien, so file your complaints with R. Mute or Aeryk.

SEE WHERE YOUR 2015 POSITION ON SOLEY ATTRIBUTING CORPORATE'S COUNTRIES BASED ON LEGAL ENTITY LEADS TO NOW, YOU DANISH SWEDEFUCKER?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

V. Illych L. posted:

springer verlag's headquarters are in berlin

You don't get to play that card after considering a Deutsche Bank a German company during financial crisis chat despite Ibanking operations being headquartered in England and the majority of shareholders being American. :colbert:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

V. Illych L. posted:

DB is based in frankfurt what are you on about

That's why I said Ibanking.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

V. Illych L. posted:

that branch still answers to frankfurt though

That non-quoted part wasn't what I was saying, but the quoted part is hilarious in how retardedly legalistic and divorced from reality it is.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

sparatuvs posted:

what's doobies diner

Some hick from the Deep South made a kickstarter to open up a hot-dog place in his depressingly small backwoods town. Goons got super-into it like it and then were shocked, shocked, that said hick had some politicial leanings which aligned more with Deep South stereotypes than goon funders. His ill-advised hot dog stand floundered but survived for longer than expected and now finally closed its doors forever. :rip:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I didn't know Tony Scott died. :smith:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I'm watching the Punisher and had forgotten how there is a scene where somebody says Vaya con Dios, there is a beat and it is explained that it means "Go with God". Thank you Hollywood. :allears:

Ahahaha, Staind! :D

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

kustomkarkommando posted:

I mean "Clinton attacked by left-wing insurgent" suggests something very different

Ironically, so did "Snipers in Serbia shot at me". #FeelTheBern

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Peter founded the church tho?

As an institution, but church as the community of believers in Christ and his teachings started with Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

fade5 posted:

technically correct, the best kind of correct

still reads as anti-catholic

Because it is. Though it kinda has to be, because using the Catholic understanding of church as a Protestant would be kinda self-defeating. (As would using Catholic in the first place, but even less people know that one.)

• Locked thread