Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

What is this?
This is the PS4 port of the (Ex-)Ps Vita exclusive Gravity Rush.
So with that port, Sony is basically putting the final nail in the Ps Vitas coffin. After all, this was one of the (very) few games that made people consider buying a Vita in the first place.
Atleast they’re bringing this game to a much bigger audience by porting it to the PS4 and they’re also working on sequel.

But wait, this game isn’t out yet!
Well yeah, it isn’t. It’s supposed to be released some time in February (I read both February 9 and February 2 were the targeted release dates. Don’t know for sure when it’s going to be out though :S)
However, the PS4 port is basically the same game that’s already been out for 4 years (Except the better graphics, those are a bit a new.), so I don’t feel too bad about doing this LP a bit prematurely.

What’s this game about?
Gravity Rush is about a girl that doesn’t know who she is, where she is or anything else for that matter. But she has a cat. A cool cat, that actually allows her to mess around with gravity.
There’s also weird monsters and a floating city where you can fall into the abyss by opening the wrong door.

As you can see this game is quite weird. It’s also not taking itself all too seriously (atleast at the beginning of the game), but that gives this game its charm.
It also helps that the main mechanic, messing around with gravity, is actually well done and that it feels pretty satisfying.

Spoiler Policy
The game is about 4 years old by now. But then again, who the hell owns a Ps Vita, right?
I’m guessing that a lot of people don’t know all too much about this game, so let’s try to protect the innocent.
What I’m basically trying to say is: Don’t be a dick! Don't spoil stuff!

The writing system mentioned by Rinkles

Rinkles posted:

Someone on neogaf tried to decipher it (the language looks mostly like English words transliterated into an invented alphabet)

Here's an interview with Keiichiro Toyama in which he talks about this. At one point, when asked about the lettering on the signs, he answers that while the number of letters is consistent with an alphabet, 「解読できないように変換しています」 ("We've changed things around so that (people) can't read it.")

Well, Mr. Toyama, the enjoyment I got from this game and the admiration I have for you, the creators, virtually compel me to answer with two words: Challenge. Accepted.

Now rather than how the value of each letter became clear, I'm instead going to give all of them in advance and then do some of the words seen while playing the game and flying around, and then do the words seen on the map. I'll start with the words that are definite and then, after those, move on to the more uncertain ones where I'm trying to reverse-engineer the language converter that they used when making the game.

I had figured out just about all the letters with the exception of J (turns out it's barely distinguishable from H) and Q, but thanks to the Gravity Rush artbook, we now know those for certain. The book also gives us the numerals, whose values wouldn't have been clear at all. And here are all the letters and numbers:

The link contains screenshots of later areas.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=46134903#post46134903

The screenshots with examples are unfortunately a little spoilery. Nothing major (upcoming areas) but I don't want to reveal anything Ape doesn't want to show off yet

Episode List

Apepresident fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
A long time ago, when it hadn't occurred to me that I would be fantastically terrible at keeping to a schedule of transcribing a visual novel, I thought I'd LP this game after Virtue's Last Reward, since Vita capture was super-uncommon and god drat people need to see Gravity Rush. This was before PSTV or the PS4 port were things, of course, but the point stands; part of what justified my purchase of a modded Vita was making LPing this game possible.

So what I'm saying is, hell yes, I am down with this thread existing.

Gravity Rush is the most fun I've had getting from Point A to Point B since Portal.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

Fedule posted:

Gravity Rush is the most fun I've had getting from Point A to Point B since Portal.

This sentence alone captures the awesomeness of this game.
When you manage to make something as dull as going from A to B fun, than you know you made something good.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
This game is the best.

Are they including the DLC in the remastered version? The first two were pretty much fluff, but the main storyline (oddly) assumes you played the third.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's a good thing our heroine has gravity powers. Landing on those heels must hurt like a bitch.

I always meant to pick up this game, but that would require owning a PSVita and that just wasn't happening.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

SSNeoman posted:

It's a good thing our heroine has gravity powers. Landing on those heels must hurt like a bitch.

Just think how much it must hurt for who/whatever she lands on.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

Seyser Koze posted:

This game is the best.

Are they including the DLC in the remastered version? The first two were pretty much fluff, but the main storyline (oddly) assumes you played the third.

Yes, all DLC is included.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!
This time we're putting all of our gravity shifting powers to good use.
There's actually a ton of stuff you can do with them: Fighting, flying, sliding, carrying stuff around and then throwing said stuff at someone you don't like.

The game also introduces us to the "Challenge Missions". They're basically little side missions that teach you to (somewhat) properly use your abilities and reward you with tons of gems.
They're basically a little break from the main story and also act like more engaging tutorials.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
A lot of them are also pretty hard without upgrades.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

Justin_Brett posted:

A lot of them are also pretty hard without upgrades.

Yeah, the game really wants you to upgrade those abilities if you want to reach a reasonable result.
However, for most of the mission you can actually reach silver ranking without too many upgrades.

Some of the battle challenges later down the line are somewhat awkward though:
You either need to understand how enemies you've never seen before work, upgrade and understand some of the special attacks or just come back latter once you already unlocked almost everything :S
Glad that those are just the few bad examples.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I guess desperate times means even wanted superpowered beings can find work in town.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

What's the basis for the script they're using in the setting? I can't tell if it's derived from Brahmic (Devangari and other South Asian/Southeast Asian scripts) or Proto-Sinaitic (Latin, Arabic, and other European/African/West Asian scripts), and a cursory search shows approximately nothing of note. (Also the slant makes it look as if everyone's left-handed or something.)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

NGDBSS posted:

What's the basis for the script they're using in the setting? I can't tell if it's derived from Brahmic (Devangari and other South Asian/Southeast Asian scripts) or Proto-Sinaitic (Latin, Arabic, and other European/African/West Asian scripts), and a cursory search shows approximately nothing of note. (Also the slant makes it look as if everyone's left-handed or something.)

Someone on neogaf tried to decipher it (the language looks mostly like English words transliterated into an invented alphabet)

quote:

Here's an interview with Keiichiro Toyama in which he talks about this. At one point, when asked about the lettering on the signs, he answers that while the number of letters is consistent with an alphabet, 「解読できないように変換しています」 ("We've changed things around so that (people) can't read it.")

Well, Mr. Toyama, the enjoyment I got from this game and the admiration I have for you, the creators, virtually compel me to answer with two words: Challenge. Accepted.

Now rather than how the value of each letter became clear, I'm instead going to give all of them in advance and then do some of the words seen while playing the game and flying around, and then do the words seen on the map. I'll start with the words that are definite and then, after those, move on to the more uncertain ones where I'm trying to reverse-engineer the language converter that they used when making the game.

I had figured out just about all the letters with the exception of J (turns out it's barely distinguishable from H) and Q, but thanks to the Gravity Rush artbook, we now know those for certain. The book also gives us the numerals, whose values wouldn't have been clear at all. And here are all the letters and numbers:

The screenshots with examples are unfortunately a little spoilery. Nothing major (upcoming areas) but I don't want to reveal anything Ape doesn't want to show off yet

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

Rinkles posted:

The spoilers are extremely minor so I'd actually recommend reading through those posts.
It's fascinating to see how somebody managed to decipher a language that was supposed to be indecipherable.

SSNeoman posted:

I guess desperate times means even wanted superpowered beings can find work in town.

Ooooh, you haven't even seen how desperate for work Kat can be at times ...

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Apepresident posted:

It's fascinating to see how somebody managed to decipher a language that was supposed to be indecipherable.
It's not quite a language. Actually constructing that requires a serious amount of effort if you're not just producing gobbledygook like the actual speech used here (which seems more like the Chinese languages than Japanese by virtue of the tonality), which is why decades back the Star Trek folks had to bring in a linguistics professor just to get Klingon off the ground. Instead, what we're seeing with the writing here is just another script, substituting one set of symbols for another. It's the same distinction between Latin/Arabic (Turkish used both at various points), hanja/hangul, or kanji/katakana/hiragana. They're just different ways of writing the same spoken thing.

As the link shows, much of the obfuscation occurs from abbreviations, swapping between English/Japanese, writing things backwards, or some combination thereof. At least the alphabet itself generally maps to Latin, and is thus a full alphabet. If they really wanted to go crazy with the players then they could have either constructed a syllabary (such as Japanese kana or Cherokee, where each symbol is a syllable rather than a phoneme) or an abjad/abugida (where denoting vowels is either optional/absent or secondary to denoting consonants, respectively).

Sorry if that's a bit much in the way of language chat, but I have an amateur interest in it and thus it's interesting to see what folks try out in media.

KnT
Jul 12, 2010
To toss in my own bit of linguistic knowledge, switching the direction of a written language is called Boustrophedon. Thought, technically, it's supposed to swap each new line, rather than arbitrarily.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!
Now that all of the busy work is out of the way, it's time to go back to the main story.
This includes building something that Kat can call "home" (even if it's location isn't the best and really not suitable for a superhero) and also protecting the sacred gem by stealing it .....
I mean, it makes sense: You can't steal the sacred gem if it's replaced with a fake one.
I still can't shake this feeling that this was one of the dumbest ideas ever (plus it makes for a really obvious plot twist)

NGDBSS posted:

It's not quite a language. Actually constructing that requires a serious amount of effort if you're not just producing gobbledygook like the actual speech used here (which seems more like the Chinese languages than Japanese by virtue of the tonality), which is why decades back the Star Trek folks had to bring in a linguistics professor just to get Klingon off the ground. Instead, what we're seeing with the writing here is just another script, substituting one set of symbols for another. It's the same distinction between Latin/Arabic (Turkish used both at various points), hanja/hangul, or kanji/katakana/hiragana. They're just different ways of writing the same spoken thing.

As the link shows, much of the obfuscation occurs from abbreviations, swapping between English/Japanese, writing things backwards, or some combination thereof. At least the alphabet itself generally maps to Latin, and is thus a full alphabet. If they really wanted to go crazy with the players then they could have either constructed a syllabary (such as Japanese kana or Cherokee, where each symbol is a syllable rather than a phoneme) or an abjad/abugida (where denoting vowels is either optional/absent or secondary to denoting consonants, respectively).

Sorry if that's a bit much in the way of language chat, but I have an amateur interest in it and thus it's interesting to see what folks try out in media.

KnT posted:

To toss in my own bit of linguistic knowledge, switching the direction of a written language is called Boustrophedon. Thought, technically, it's supposed to swap each new line, rather than arbitrarily.

That's really interesting. I generally care more for using languages and scripts rather than all the thought process that lies behind them and everything connected to that but this is actually pretty intersting to read.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
So, I wonder if Alias was the one who masterminded the whole plan to swap the gems, or if he just swooped in at the last minute when a really stupid opportunity presented itself?

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Captain Bravo posted:

So, I wonder if Alias was the one who masterminded the whole plan to swap the gems, or if he just swooped in at the last minute when a really stupid opportunity presented itself?

I'm thinking the second one, because I can see Syd using candy for this kind of thing.

Also Ape, as a request. Could you please let the game tell us the story before you do? Your narration occasionally feels like it gets ahead of what is happening and I would really like to learn the story as intended.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

Nuramor posted:

Also Ape, as a request. Could you please let the game tell us the story before you do? Your narration occasionally feels like it gets ahead of what is happening and I would really like to learn the story as intended.

I'll try to do that in the future!

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!
While we spent the last couple of episodes establishing ourselves as the hero Hekseville deserves it's time to.... evolve on a personal level....
Let's find Mr. Destiny!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wait what :psyduck:

So are we in a like, Golden Sun situation now? Where the world is being slowly eroded?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

How do you dodge in the ps4 version?

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

Rinkles posted:

How do you dodge in the ps4 version?

Pressing the right trigger (R2).
I'm actually glad that they didn't utilise the touch pad like they did in the Vita version. That always felt super messy.

SSNeoman posted:

Wait what :psyduck:

So are we in a like, Golden Sun situation now? Where the world is being slowly eroded?
Remember the black hole that sucked in the home of that son and father that now hate us?
According to some of the NPCs this black hole, called gravity storm, is what ripped the city apart and is also causing the outbreak of Nevi.

But don't ask me why "the creator" is storing the other parts of the cities under his robe.
That's just .... weird.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Look man, he's The Creator, where else would he put the portal to the alternate dimension for all of reality? It's way too big for his pocket.

It's not like he needs a torso either.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!
We're finally far enough into the game to actually check out some of the secrets that are hidden throughout the world.
The extra dialogue we're getting isn't necessary to understand the main plot. However it does provide some clues as to what happened in some areas later on, so keep them in mind.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Look man, he's The Creator, where else would he put the portal to the alternate dimension for all of reality? It's way too big for his pocket.

It's not like he needs a torso either.

ALL HAIL GADE THE CREATOR!
GADE'S WAYS (and his fashion) ARE INSCRUTABLE!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Okay so Raven knows the creator, but doesn't want the world put back together? She even attacked the guy, apparently. How many people know about Gade anyway?

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

SSNeoman posted:

Okay so Raven knows the creator, but doesn't want the world put back together? She even attacked the guy, apparently. How many people know about Gade anyway?

Seeing how he can stand in the middle of the town without anyone falling to their knees and praying to him I guess it won't be all to many people that know that he's the creator.
Then again he also doesn't look much like a creator.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Calling it now, Gade's one of the ringleaders of the world coming to pieces.

Come on, look at his conversation with Raven, he played a big part in that. It makes sense, too, he's the only person we've seen that has a portal to the rift planes where the town pieces are.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!
With Auldnoir being as good as completed it's time to check out the next town: Pleajeune aka. the entertainment district.
What's better than a floating city? How about a floating city full with booze and hookers .... and a school. Wait, what?!

Captain Bravo posted:

Come on, look at his conversation with Raven, he played a big part in that. It makes sense, too, he's the only person we've seen that has a portal to the rift planes where the town pieces are.

Well, I don't think that having a portal under your clothes is a normal thing.
Up until now he seems to be more comic relief with some slight plot usage.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I mean when they said alternate costumes this was basically inevitable.

edit: rumors are turth

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 30, 2016

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Chiming in; this game is incredibly fun and cute. The city and the characters have a very Ghibli vibe.

Too bad I'm freaking terrible at it. I'm going to need the PS4 version to give it a proper go. It's something I'm more than happy to buy twice, as Gravity Rush doesn't deserve to languish on the poor, unloved Vita.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I'm so glad to see this finally getting an LP, as you can probably tell from my icon what a huge fan of this game I am. When the sequel got announced for PS4 and not for Vita it basically broke my heart because it's proof that Sony has given up on the poor poor Vita. Now I need to buy an overpriced gaming machine I probably won't use that much because I'm not much of a gamer.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The most hilarious moment in the game, out of context.

lotus circle posted:

I'm so glad to see this finally getting an LP, as you can probably tell from my icon what a huge fan of this game I am. When the sequel got announced for PS4 and not for Vita it basically broke my heart because it's proof that Sony has given up on the poor poor Vita. Now I need to buy an overpriced gaming machine I probably won't use that much because I'm not much of a gamer.

I was thrilled we were getting a sequel at all, but I do have a PS4 already. If nothing else, a home console version will do the game's aesthetics full justice.

It is curious to note, however, that the original was initially conceived as a PS3 game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKxvXt5Wg-Q

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!
Now that the first two areas are pretty much completed, why not go ahead an check out our first DLC mission.
In this one we're desperate for money .... now that's an idea for a DLC.

SSNeoman posted:

edit: rumors are turth

No, not again!!
:stonk:

Rinkles posted:

It is curious to note, however, that the original was initially conceived as a PS3 game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKxvXt5Wg-Q

Wow, that's actually new to me. Did they ever mention why they changed from PS3 to Vita?

lotus circle posted:

It kind of feels like a slap in the face for all the original Gravity Rush fans since they are the ones who would actually "deserve" the sequel.

It's generally kinda weird that a remake and a sequel are actually (about to be) available. Gravity Rush was praised by its fans and critics but the sales figures were as far as I know pretty bad.
... then again Vita games generally weren't selling all to well.
Poor little Vita, nobody loves you.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Gruyere sounds like Kingdom Hearts. And I agree with Kat, flashbacks are the devil.

Also calling it now, next costume is magical girl outfit.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
I'm really enjoying watching this game. The Gravity powers are really intesting. Especally the flying-by-falling-upwards stuff. I just find it a little weird she doesn't orientate herself to face the direction she's moving in. It looks so strange to she her flying backwards headfirst into the floor and Kat's like "I'm okay!"

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!
Well, we screwed up the whole "Get money for the guy whose house we destroyed"-thing, so let's go back to doing what we are actually good at: Saving the world.
Guess it's back into Gade's underwear portal to another dimension.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

They really should give you the abilities after you fight the bosses. They seem to trivialize the fights a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Only up to episode 3 so far, but thanks for doing this LP. Never would have seen the game in action otherwise. I have to mention that I like Kat's animations, they're just so full of life and personality. I've seen about a half dozen failed landing ones, which tend to be some variation of comical pratfall and scrambling to make a smooth looking recovery (and failing).

• Locked thread