Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The weakest character right now is Jackson. They really need to find a way for him to step away from the stereotypical jockish football player.

The worst part of the episode is when Stein is apologizing to him and talking about how he got excited by the possibility of time travel, and Jackson cuts him off, "please... do not geek out on quantum physics right now." And he kinda sorta says it jokingly, but it's the type of thing a jock would say and it's a very :cripes: line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Nullsmack posted:

Rory really wants to show you his mad PC gaming skills.

"this is me getting top score in call of duty 87, right before vandal hacked the servers and erased everyone's scores"

*the crowd gasps*

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Binary Logic posted:

But seriously, if they are immortal through soul resurrection or whatever, and they are traveling through time, they could meet themselves during their adventures and ask for or give themselves advice and remember that meeting when they return to the 'current' timeline :paradox: :derp: :science:

Hunter indicated that changing time in this manner is very hard to do.

Besides, there's no guarantee that they won't be, say, 5 year old kids on the year the time machine stops for that mission.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

tsob posted:

On the whole though, I was far more bothered by the idea that a metahuman like Firestorm, who in the context of this show has to be the second most powerful metahuman on Earth at this time, if not the most powerful could somehow be so worthless a hero that he's barely remembered historically. I think Ray being that unimportant is somewhat stretching things too given not just his powers, but his intellect, money, charisma and drive. I cannot see him just remaining an unknown hero in that setting with all that going for him unless he dies again sometime in the next few weeks without Rip coming to collect him. The rest I can see all remaining unknown and unimportant, because for various reasons all of them have a desire to hide themselves away from the spotlight. Heatwave and Captain Cold are just small time crooks at the end of the day, Sarah just wants to deal with her own poo poo, not be a hero and the Hawks are looking to hide from Savage and have been for a long time. Firestorm and Atom though? Just not buying it.

People are remembered for their actions and contributions (positive or negative), not their intellect, money, charisma or even "power level". And we don't know how Firestorm and Ray would have acted moving forward, or what would have happened to them, had Rip not convinced them to go on the journey. I mean Ray already blew himself up once and almost died. Maybe he was going to do it again in a few weeks while working on something else and die for real this time. And maybe Stein was going to die of natural causes in a few years -- he is pretty old after all -- putting an end to Firestorm. The only thing Rip said that in that specific timeline, they wouldn't end up having a big impact on things, which is why he chose them.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Heck, even Stein couldn't remember Ray and his research.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

My only other real issue is this version of Vandal Savage doesn't really feel like a threat.

:confused:

Stealing a nuke from a Soviet convoy with the intention of setting it off and starting a world war isn't a threat?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Maybe they are ballerinas.

Or maybe the floor is very, very hot. Like lava.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Robot Hobo posted:

Now Savage knows they know about the dagger, and was dumb enough to tell everyone how to use it. "Oh hey, here's how to kill me, only Hawkgirl can do it, and in addition to telling you that I'll kill Hawkman so that you can't get that part wrong again even if you forget." If Savage was smart, that thing would be dumped into the Marianas trench in a lead box, while he sticks a convincing forgery into a very secure (but public) museum for the disposable legends to find.

The Hawks already knew that:

a) the dagger needs to be wielded "in conjunction with an incantation inscribed on it", and
b) only the priest sect spoke that language

So it's actually pretty obvious that only Kendra can kill Savage. The hawks were just too dumb to figure it out.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

XboxPants posted:

He did burn/explode a bunch of crates & barrels with it in the big overhead shot. It just doesn't set people on fire.

On the other hand, the freeze gun encased Barry in a block of ice once. So that's how it's supposed to work.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Go back in time and snatch up Hawks before Savage can kill them. Snatch as many Hawk incarnations as it takes to "starve" Vandy Savage. Rip's already said that the Hawks aren't super important to the timeline so no harm, no fowl. You kill Savage without ever having to fight him and without even having to find him--just use the Hawks' knowledge of where they hung out in different time periods or whatever.

too late for that, since hawk dude is dead and hawk girl can barely remember the first time they had sex, much less any of the other 206 past lives

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I find Vandal Savage quite threatening. He's a different category of villain for sure. No crazy superpowers, just immortality. But he's a master manipulator who incited the most devastating wars and massacres in history, which basically means he is responsible for more death and destruction than 99% of DC villains.

I kind of like that he's outclassed, from a "power level" perspective, when confronted by the heroes. He just has some martial skills to defend himself with. But the challenge is that he's clever as hell and has so far managed to outsmart/outmanuever the group, which is fun.

Frankly, it's refreshing to not have a villain where the whole deal is "omg he can run faster than me!" or "wow, he can catch my arrows in mid-flight!"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

tsob posted:

Putting aside that Vandal Savage caught Ollie's arrows the first time he saw him I'm pretty sure the above isn't true. Even if it is true though, it's kind of worthless if we never actually see him manipulate nations in to a war that the heroes can't stop because then it's just background and not something the audience has any emotional investment in at that point.

I'm not sure what you mean about not having any emotional investment. I have plenty of emotional investment in the fact that Dick Cheney basically strongarmed the Bush administration to invade and occupy the Middle East, even though I wasn't in a position to stop it.

quote:

I also don't buy Savage as any kind of master manipulator since he's been killed once already by our heroes and would have been killed a second time if they had any brains between them. Being a manipulator doesn't mean much if your plans only come off because the people you're facing are absolute morons. It doesn't make the villain look dangerously smart, it makes the heroes look dangerously incompetent.

He manipulates powerful world leaders, not time travelers with superpowers who already know who he is, what he has done in the past and what he will do in the future.

You say "he's been killed once already by our heroes" but it is explained clearly that only one person can kill him. Yes, he was turned to dust during the crossovers, but that wasn't permanent by any means. He can only be killed by Kendra and only if she is wielding the dagger and uttering the incantation written on it.

Also, the heroes are incompetent. They have serious trust issues, and they are extremely arrogant and careless. I don't think this makes any of them "morons". They are basically what you would expect from a team that would never have formed organically on its own, but has no choice to learn to work together to defeat an enemy.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

i like how you guys are totally evaluating Vandal based on his ability to take on the group lol

the dude is literally immortal, and the only person who can possibly kill him doesn't even know how to fight properly

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

most of the team can incapacitate him(except for plot stupidity)

no, except for him being always prepared

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

now that hawkdude is kaput, maybe she will get it on with kendra :heysexy:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

or they can just drop him into a volcano! they are so stupid lol!!!!!!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It's actually pretty clear that their main enemy is the timeline.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Binary Logic posted:

I watched the nuclear auction fight scene again and maybe they're so much going on you aren't seeing it all.
The ice and fire guns do have effects - and also double as close-combat concussive weapons. But this is not a team of psychopaths so they're trying to stun/neutralize/knock out the henchmen, not commit mass murder.

Exactly. In fact they are trying to not kill anyone, since, unlike the Chronos dude, they have no way of knowing whether that person will have an effect on the timeline later.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It's sort of amazing how much deep thinking people are attempting to do about a show that's intended to be light-hearted and goofy.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

X-O posted:

Absolutely wrong.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Tiggum posted:

It occurs to me that this show would be vastly improved if Savage was never seen, he was just this shadowy figure pulling the strings, so the team would have a reason for not being able to confront him directly and would have to do all these missions where they have to steal stuff, infiltrate places, sabotage research, etc. It's too late for that now, unfortunately, because Savage is already established as being very hands-on.

Hell no. If there's anything we've learned from this season of The Flash, it's that a season villain who rarely shows up is detrimental to the overall plot, no matter how powerful he is.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bad Moon posted:

Savage ends up getting pissed off with all these dick holes coming back in time to stop him

This would actually be pretty funny and also awesome: shortly before launching his global invasion, Savage forms an organization prevent anyone from going back in time. An organization called Time Masters...

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Don't worry guys, this show will skyrocket in popularity once Chronos removes his mask and is revealed to be Earth-4 Eddie..

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

We have the power to travel through time! So let's spend half the season going to europe in the 70s and... the USSR in the 80s.

Yeah, that's totally what we wanted. Here's hoping next week isn't a total cock-up.

Don't know what you are talking about. The settings have been fine. They are colorful and give the show a really light-hearted comic-book feel, which successfully sets it apart from Flash and Arrow. The plot has some issues but that's fine because, well, comics.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It's so bad it makes the fight sequences in The Arrow look good.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Four Score posted:

Yeah, pulling his carcass from the rubble and, using their time-traveling spaceship, dropping him off near the sun or the heat death of the universe or even an active volcano is asking too much

You realize he survived a direct meteorite impact back in Ancient Egypt, right? It's clear destroying his body doesn't destroy him. The show was very explicit about Kendra being the only person capable of killing him permanently.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

That was by far the best episode of the entire aggressively mediocre run this show has had, coincidentally it didn't have Savage, also coincidentally it was an arrow episode more or less. I don't want this show to get cancelled but if it does I hope everyone goes back to their respective shows.

It was great because it actually took place in the future, which is what you would expect from a show called "Legends of Tomorrow". That's what this show should be about : traveling to different times and places in the future, all of them different possibilities, some good and some bad, and dealing with the various implications of those possibilities like they did in this episode. Kind of like The Flash's "different Earths" idea, but across time instead of multiverses.

I really disliked that this episode was so Arrow-oriented though, mostly because I hate the way they do the fight choreography on Arrow and we saw a lot of that.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

I totally missed that Flash and Arrow are on 3 week hiatus. Is Legends also on hiatus?

What the gently caress? Really? Didn't we just come out of mid-season breaks?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

gently caress this jay earth

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, I'm still not sure how Eobard Thawne ended up in the possession of Gideon...

My guess is the two shows simply wanted to use the same voice actor and they're gonna leave it unexplained.

My hope, on the other hand, is that they will journey to the 25th century at some point, but will have to leave Gideon behind for some reason, and it will end up in Thawne's hands.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

X-O posted:

But it's not the same voice actor.

Well then, I demand an explanation! :argh:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, I don't have an issue with Rip Hunter. His self-pity does get a bit repetitive at times, but it's not a glaring flaw or anything.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Can we not talk about Doctor who? Legends of Tomorrow isn't perfect, but there's no reason to try to make it seem better by comparing it to a much worse children's sci-fi show

:agreed:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

put all dr who fans in an airlock and release them into space

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I dunno, the conversation was pretty specific. Mick said "only one of us is getting out of here alive" and Snart said "you're right" and fired his cold gun. There isn't much room there for freezing.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

shadok posted:

That was a pretty good episode with a nice, understated performance by Caity Lotz, who usually feels like the weakest link in the cast to me.

Interesting. I think she's a great actor and has chewed up a lot of the scenes she was in.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Savage's actor is fine imo. He plays a psychotic madman really well. Great facial expressions, creepy smile and tone of voice.

His character isn't a compelling villain but that's the writers' fault. The whole "our heroes can beat him in a fight but that's pointless because he's immortal" thing just doesn't work.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ookiimarukochan posted:

No he's from the exact same time period as Vandal Savage conquering the world. Either the writers totally forgot major plot points from season 1 of Flash (which is totally possible with these guys) or else they're going somewhere with this.

Here's my guess:

• Thawne is born in 2151 to an affluent family (which we already know)
  • Savage conquers the world in 2166. (we already know this too)
  • The Thawne family use their affluence to escape the death and destruction of Vandal's conquest and take shelter somewhere. (Either that, or they're on Savage's side.)
  • The L.O.T. team manage to kill Savage before he conquers the world. During the fight, the space ship is damaged beyond repair and they end up abandoning it.
  • Years later, in the 2190s, the conglomerate find the ruins of the ship and finds Gideon in it. Per Degaton (who is now alive since Savage died before killing him) orders his research teams to reverse-engineer as much technology as they can. Thawne is the lead researcher and discovers Gideon inside the ship's computer network. With the help of Gideon, he eventually gains superspeed and the ability to travel through time using tachyons. After he travels back to kill Barry's mom, Degaton stumbles upon the research and learns time travel himself.

This, or something along these lines, would also set up Degaton as next season's time traveling villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

I think a big problem is that Savage doesn't have a plan. Like, at all. He just does poo poo. In the 40s he's making hot people. In the 80s he's buying or selling a bomb, I forget which, and in the 2010s he's just trying to kill the Hawkpeople. Dude's immortal, he should be playing some super long con that lets him build up his power over the centuries until everything comes together at just the right time.

instead he did a bunch of random poo poo, then got a tutoring position and conquered the world

He's immortal. That doesn't mean he can see the future. He's basically biding his time and waiting for the right opportunity to cause as much chaos as possible. We already know he was behind at least one world war, which of course pales in comparison to killing billions using the Armageddon virus.

• Locked thread