Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

enraged_camel posted:

:confused:

Stealing a nuke from a Soviet convoy with the intention of setting it off and starting a world war isn't a threat?

Its threatening, I guess, but not when you're up against Firestorm, Atom, and the rest of the team. A guy with throwing knives is simply not credible as dangerous to an entire team of superheroes.

I had the same feeling last episode - ok, I guess this Chronos guy is dangerous to Jackson by himself, but then the rest of the squad came and knocked him on his rear end with fireballs...and then they ran away?? Its a half-dozen superheroes against one guy, they could have easily tied him up and took him for questioning, but I guess body armor and a spacerifle are too much for them to handle? If I'm going to get invested in this show, they have to raise the stakes a bit or its just the adventures of the most cowardly and inept superteam ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Kegslayer posted:

He would just reincarnate back on earth.

Actually, this would solve a lot of issues. Rip killed him, but there's no point in keeping the body around, because it's just a corpse. Savage is just going to wake up in a field somewhere in a couple days, since he didn't die from a magic knife stabbing.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Krad posted:

Really liked the way Mick fought against Sara. Just pure brute strength.

I thought that was pretty well done, too, but I didn't like that Sara couldn't handle him without Snart coming to save her. He's a big tough guy, but she's a master assassin with tons of martial arts training. Show him overpower her a few times, sure, but she should get the best of any exchange that isn't Mick firing his flamethrower at her from across the room.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

mrking posted:

The problem with the GL corp as I see it is that the ring users are only limited by their imagination but end up just shooting blasts of green energy due to poor writing or cheap sfx.

People always say this, but really, what are they supposed to make? If you want to fight a supervillain, blasting them in the face with the strongest laser you have seems like a pretty good strategy. Like, I guess you COULD make a giant hammer to hit them with, but is it really going to hurt them more than your giant green energy blast, the one that seems to get stronger and stronger the more angry/focused/determined you are?

Likewise, if he's about to hit you, throwing up a generic green shield is the easiest way to protect yourself, even if it's not as cool-looking as conjuring up a suit of green medieval armor. Since both would be fueled by the same willpower, it's not likely that the fancy construct is going to be any stronger than a plain green shield bubble.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Elentor posted:

I can't possibly imagine how they're gonna write these guys defeating Savage at this point.

That's not hard to imagine, all they have to do is get Kendra to stab him with the magic knife. Honestly, it seems like it's been harder to write these guys NOT defeating Savage in most of the episodes. Rip's killed him twice on screen, and Carter stabbed him with the magic knife already, and it's only because of plot contrivance that they have to go find him again afterward.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Na'at posted:

Vandal Savage is just the stupidest god drat name

How can you say that when we just had a whole episode of different people trying to say "Per Degaton" without sounding ridiculous?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I don't know why this thread is always so negative. I love this show. It's a lot of dumb fun most of the time. I wasn't going into it expecting the time travel plot to be a super-tight, pathos-driven 12 Monkeys sort of thing, I went into it to see a guy with a cold gun and a cut-rate Iron Man travel through time with Rory and have stupid adventures and big lasery fights. And that's what I got.

I also kinda like Vandal Savage, especially after this last episode. He's so over-the-top supervillain it ends up being fun to watch. When he was taunting everyone from inside his space-jail, he kept up that same, super-smug "I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive" tone for EVERY line. No, he's not realistically powerful enough to threaten the team, but they're a bunch of gently caress-ups, too, and whatever, bad guy gets away to torment the heroes again. You knew it was going to happen going in, otherwise this thing would last 3 episodes.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Are...are you guys just not playing Hearthstone or something when they do the Carter flashbacks or whatever? You don't have to pay attention when they do that, you just have to understand that they need to chillax and recuperate, so they're going to the wild wild west to have some cool gun battles with old-timey gunslingers.

e: I mean, did you really think Savage wasn't eventually getting out of that cell? You knew he was gonna goad someone into letting him out from the very start, and you knew it was gonna be for some dumb reason, because there's no reason to let him out of the cell in the first place.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I mean, it's not a good show. I'm not gonna argue with you there. The writing is often poo poo and isn't consistent from one episode to the next, and all the characters act like idiots sometimes. It's a lot like Doctor Who -- you can't take it very seriously or it falls apart, you just have to go with it or not watch it.

And Ray has consistently been depicted as the most bumbling and socially awkward of the group though, so it's not stretching too far to have Savage get him upset enough about the love quadrangle to go in the cell to fight. He's a comic book character. They do stupid poo poo like that. It's also why Savage is still alive instead of being shot with a flamethrower every time he resurrects himself.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Not that I should be picking at the logic of a show like this, but didn't the stinger of last episode have Rip outright killing George Washington? I could have sworn the Legion of Doom even said something like "you just killed George Washington!" right before they armed the British with assault rifles at the beginning of the episode.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

But the British troops with assault rifles are the ones who attacked that party where the team was meeting Washington, meaning it had to happen after the "You killed GW!" scene at the beginning where they were first armed.

Or, again, maybe I'm just pushing too hard at the show's consistency?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

I don't get it.. Thawne has no powers in zero gravity?! How does that work?!

So if the Black Flash can't get to him while he's in orbit why doesn't he just stay in space?

The real answer is because it's hard to write a situation where a guy with superspeed and no morals doesn't just get whatever he wants all the time.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

Stargirl's staff apparently had the power to recreate all of Camelot so uh I'm not thinking they're on the same level.

Stargirl's staff had the Spear of Destiny fragment in it, though.

Firestorm is definitely ignored a lot of the time when it would be useful to throw fireballs or transmute stuff, but it's been pretty consistent that he's not super durable - if he gets hit hard, he'll be knocked out or forced apart most of the time.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

This was the show where they had to kill the bad guy at three separate points in time at the same time. Don't get too caught up in the temperature of their fake reactor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Eobard unveiling the Legion of Thawnes was fantastic. I really, really hope they're not done with Eobard because as others have said Matt Letscher has kind of been the MVP of an already stand-out season.

I think this was kinda suspension-of-disbelief overkill, to be honest, especially after they showed one Thawne just run over and rip out Ray's heart before he could react. I think that fight would have been better if it was just one Thawne versus the Legends. Play it exactly the same otherwise, just have it be a single Thawne zipping around instead of fifty.

• Locked thread