Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

bobkatt013 posted:

He can make hot wheels tracks!

I hope you mean John and not Hal because Hot Wheels tracks don't involve giant green fists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I will never get tired of Rip Hunter's Stupid Team of Idiots because they're completely loving up whatever time periods they're in and it's written that way on purpose. :allears: Also, Snart, Time Lesbian, and Syndey Palmer's Brother is just the best team.

This episode got dangerously close to bringing back Carter, though. Pull up, show. Don't follow Arrow into the canyon pull up PULL UP

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

howe_sam posted:

How does the Hawk person regeneration work if only one of them dies? Is Carter stuck in limbo until Kendra kicks the bucket?

speed force

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Burning_Monk posted:

I don't think there are separate timelines, like in Back to the Future. Time in the shows seems to be singular but non static, but attempts to "repair" itself if messed with too much.

Hypertime

I ain't gotta explain poo poo

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I like this version of the show better, can we get this version of the show, tia

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Professor Wayne posted:

I think the best episode would be for the team to accidentally go to a time so far in the future, all of humanity is dead except Savage. Savage is super excited for company and invites the group to a lavish dinner. So basically just like that Justice League episode. For the rest of the series, no one is really into trying to kill Savage, since he once cooked them a decadent paella.

Turns out Savage created the Time Masters to stop himself after this very thing happened and Rip hosed up his perfect plans.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

A barfight with a Wilhelm Scream. I didn't know how much I needed that today.

Every time I hear Wilhelm Scream my brain auto substitutes Goofy Holler and I'm gonna be honest with you it makes life better

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Do you mean "YAAAA-HOO-HOo-Hoo-hoo!" ?

The last syllable is hooey you loving Philistine

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The year is 2016. Due to a malfunction on the Owl Clock, the team is thrown into an alternate dimension. Snart and Mick watch Arrow season 4 and scheme to kill the writer. That writer turns out to be Vandal Savage, who gets away in a handcrank car from the 1900s. Kendra and Ray visit a Starbucks and spill their coffee.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

don't do this actually

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I love how even Rip is acknowledging at this point how much of a fuckup they all are. The Time Masters are right, they're the single greatest threat that Hypertime has ever known.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rarity posted:

The Time Gazelle gets stuck in a black hole, extending time and space beyond existence. Snart and Stein fight to save the team with by combining astrophysics with theatricality. Sarah makes out with herself. Ray is replaced with a tree stump. No one notices.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
It's 1065, and England is on the verge of the Battle of Hastings. The crew of the SS Minute Minnow discover Joan of Arc will somehow be at the battle and decide they must fix history for once. Joan of Arc turns out to be none other than Vandal Savage. In a hilarious bit of dialogue, Jax assumes the Norman Invasion was just one man named Norman. Kendra and Rip get into a fight with a horse and lose.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

enraged_camel posted:

It was actually remarkable how easily they defeated them, considering even Mick suggested running away at the end of the previous episode when they asked him what they should do.

They had Jonah Hex with a Future Revolver and their calculations didn't include that, rendering them meaningless.

In a wacky twist of fate, Sarah makes out with herself. She goes on to say it was alright at best.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
QnE

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
"We have, quite literally, run out of time."

Run out of time, eh?

I know the one legend you haven't called in yet.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Time travel is dumb and we need to accept that. By extension time travelers are dumb, as evidenced by Mick being the most responsible and educated one of the group.

Once you can get over that hump, this show becomes a whole lot of fun. :)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Hatrocious posted:

The only two female main characters gossip about getting engaged to a man, then spend the very next scene cooing over a baby. Has this show actually managed to pass the Bechdel test at any point?

Pretty sure Sarah and 1950s nurse had a conversation entirely based on wanting to bang each other without coming right out and saying it.

Does that count? :v:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Hatrocious posted:

Fair enough. Even so, Hawkgirl is really being put to waste here

The biggest issue is that the DCAU did Hawkgirl probably the best out of anything ever, and as a result, anything less than that is going to be a real disappointment. (though it's not like the show's doing anything for non-comic fans either)

As a side note, DCAU made Hawkgirl rule by basically putting Carter in Savage's current role, spending a grand total of one episode on him before moving on and never mentioning him again, and going with her alien soldier origin. So basically the exact opposite of everything the show is doing. :v:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Scyantific posted:

Goddammit, Carter's coming back in the next episode

everyone out of the pool

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

raditts posted:

No, he'll ~*~regain his memories~*~ just in time to loving die again, then she'll kill Savage.

Things I'm okay with:

1) Carter dying again
2) Kendra using her Nth Metal mace on Savage some more while making HRRRRRRGH Hawkgirl noises
3) Ray Palmer, Literal Giant Dork
4) Carter dying again

I was actually okay with the plot twist, it makes things interesting. Also Carter is basically a creepy villain anyway so we might as well make him one for reals

e: Plus c'mon, you knew Time was going to poo poo all over Ray's head. That's what he does, it's his thing, he gets his head hilariously shat upon.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Things I learned this episode:

• Vandal Savage is actually a threat when he's being a manipulative rear end in a top hat
  • Ray is dumb and emotional as heck but he's all man for helping Carter afterwards and letting Kendra go
  • Rip is also dumb as heck
  • Snart continues to make this entire show worth it and
  • Carter is still the goddamn worst.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

McSpanky posted:

"We're not so different, you and I..."

*sigh* "You want fries with that?"

Ten minutes later he has three values meals for free and also now owns the franchise.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

enraged_camel posted:

Also, god drat, we have two more episodes of this crap?

Why do you keep watching this show if you hate it so much? I mean, not trying to white knight here, but it seems like your life would be a lot happier if you like got a dog and went to a park to play with it instead. :ohdear:

FactsAreUseless posted:

He's not, though. He's greasy lieutenant, not scenery-chewing evil conqueror.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree on that because watching him clown on the team by having three backup plans and grinning WE'RE A LOT A-LIKE YOU AND IIII is pretty endearing to me

Opinions on the internet :shepface:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Krad posted:

The "WE ARE NOT SO DIFFERENT YOU AND I" line made me cringe only because they already used it like two weeks ago on The Flash.

I also cringed.

We're not so different, you and I...

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Fat Shat Sings posted:

His speech to Rip about seeing dozens of his children die in his arms to old age over 4,000 years made some sense. He has seen every major civilization fall and has a perspective nobody else does.

That was oddly humanizing for Savage. Everyone talks about how he's an unfeeling psychopath but that's completely at odds with that moment.

I mean more than likely it's hideous writing but I'd be very interested of they run with "Savage is ruthless and callous but actually thinks he's doing the right thing for all of history."

On the other hand he paled around with Stalin and murdered a dude so his buddies could drink his blood so going with the bad writing theory

E: on the other other hand it was Carter so that may actually make him the biggest hero in history

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm enjoying it but it sucks.

The CW shows really are like pro wrestling. The lows are frequent and the highs are loving incredible.

Also the writers know exactly how to make Hawkgirl a badass because she had that 5 minutes of being herself, complete with zappy mace and HRRRRGGGGGH rage noises whenever she'd swing it. So if they know what the comics fans want and are actively avoiding it then that's malpractice imo

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
But the future refused to change :smith:

Also out of all the amazing stuff that happened, Kendra's near-deranged laughter at Savage when his entire plan goes tits-up was probably the best. :shobon:

Also also, I like how they're literally keeping Carter offscreen as much as they can. Last time he was brainwashed, then knocked out, then he was put in stasis. I really hope the final episode has them just going "REMEMBER WHEN CARTER DID THAT THING DURING OUR FIGHT" and everyone nods sagely and he never appears on any television media ever again.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Earth 2 Mayor Snart declares Flash the greatest threat his city has seen.

he's not wrong

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twistedmentat posted:

Well, there are people who like Hawkman and Hawkgirl, they wouldn't have been around for so long if they weren't.

I see you're new to DC editorial

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
"Now that Savage is gone, we can finally live our lives~"

"I GIVE IT THREE MONTHS TOPS :haw:"

Mick basically made putting up with Carter's bullshit for an entire season worth it with one line.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Bad news everyone, he'll only be around for the first episode next season

BECAUSE IT'S AN HOUR LONG YOU SEE

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mortanis posted:

JSA. God drat. I'd be happy if the next season didn't have quite so much time hopping and they just hung around with the JSA for awhile. Give me a few episodes with Sandman and the Alan Scott Green Lantern, then backdoor pilot a Justice Society of America show as a period piece and I'm happy.

Doc Fate's helmet was in Constantine, which is in-continuity now. Come on CW. DOOOO IIIITTTT.

"THIS IS DOCTOR FATE. HE IS A DOCTOR OF FATE AND NOT STRANGE. AT ALL. watch legends of tomorrow"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

X-O posted:

I did not think that episode was good at all until literally the last two minutes. It was just another wet fart of an episode the only highlight being that Savage was killed so he doesn't have to be around anymore.

Dude, you're reaching enraged_camel levels of self-hatred for watching this show. Maybe you should take a break from it for your own sanity's sake, you're already mod of TVIV and that can't be a healthy place to start from :ohdear:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

enraged_camel posted:

Nice meltdown.

It... it was me! This is entire time, I was the one melting down!

It was meeeeeeeee :negative:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MiddleOne posted:

Everyone please, there is a reasonable and rational explanation for all of thi-

Oh right no the writers suck.

Ah-ah, none of them are speedsters.

The correct answer is "hypertime, I ain't gotta explain poo poo."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I wanted to believe when they said they learned their mistakes from S1

https://mobile.twitter.com/mguggenheim/status/765684462449332224?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

not seeing the problem here

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
people who look at wacky RL time shenanigan comic book characters and go "hmm not on my time travel show" may be missing the point, I feel

just a lukewarm take on my part

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Scyantific posted:

Lookin forward to more adventures of Captain Lance: Time Lesbian

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The Time Lesbian Strikes Again! :j:

The best part is Thawne fuckin' around with history:

Thawne: "BARRY YOU CAN'T JUST CHANGE TIME YOU'RE BAD AT IT"
Barry: "Fine kill my mom w/e"

*runs back through the time stream immediately afterwards*

Thawne: "hey Dahrk look what I did, I got the Nazis to bomb New York! Pretty rad huh"

He's just such a smug amoral dick. :allears:

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 16, 2016

• Locked thread