Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Am I the only one that finds the un-focused action scenes incredibly dull? It's literally just the actors running around waving their props. It's like the direction was: "Just do whatever, we'll fix it in post". :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TEAH SYAG posted:

CW has three modes for all character shows. soap opera, dramatic pose, and dance-dance revolution.

I haven't watched Arrow for ages but the action scenes in the Flash aren't normally this bad.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

X-O posted:

The action scenes suffer because most of the team's powers overlap and are visually boring. Hawkgirl flies. Captain Cold shoots an ice gun with no discernible effect. Heat Wave shoots a fire gun with no discernible effect. Firestorm flies AND shoots fire with no discernible effect. Rip Hunter shoots a laser gun with no discernible effect. Atom flies AND shoots lasers with no discernible effect. And sometimes does it while tiny. It's all very samey and kind of boring looking. Canary is the only one that does any actual action stuff.

The action that you hated from the first avengers movie but now on a lower budget!!!

I mentally groan every time Firestorm shoots off at nothing for no discernible reason.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

They're so lucky that Miller is having the time of his life because without him this show has nothing going for it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Azhais posted:

What's nonsensical is that they keep going forward in time facing an ever increasingly prepared Savage instead of going backwards

This show has the worst plotting this side of Dexter, just roll with it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Zoom has been handled badly. That doesn't mean the concept is inherently flawed. It has been done well before and I see no reason it couldn't be done well again.

Flash main problem is that every speeder villain is functionally the same.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Inspired choice to literally have your "russians torturing guys" scene be a rip-off of the opening scene to Archer which in itself was a parody.

God is this show bad.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

I don't think tying somebody up by their arms and electrocuting them as invented by Archer, dude.

Rhyno posted:

Go watch Lethal Weapon smart guy.

Xoidanor posted:

Inspired choice to literally have your "russians torturing guys" scene be a rip-off of the opening scene to Archer which in itself was a parody.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 19, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

greatn posted:

I think he was saying this torture scene which we're supposed to take seriously is pretty similar to another torture scene that is a joke.

Someone gets it! :neckbeard:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Big L posted:

This is a pretty fun/entertaining show and the character interactions are great. The only major nitpick I have is how they never even attempt to properly kill Vandal Savage when he's at their mercy, like in the latest episode. At this point, I'd almost prefer if they'd pull a Danger 5 and have Savage jumping out of windows every single episode to escape.

That at least would at least make sense and would totally fit into the goofy tone they've got going when they're not doing terrible drama.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kegslayer posted:

He would just reincarnate back on earth.

I feel like the dynamics of his immortality literally changes from episode to episode.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Servetus posted:

So grab his body, drag it on the Waverider to a nice cell, and work out exactly how much blasting from Firestorm will leave him alive but too injured to fight back so Kendra can safely dispose of him.

Or failing that, just walk up to him and hold him down. He's still just some dude with knives.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Can we for once have Savage survive due to something else than the teams incompetence?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

aBagorn posted:

Or it's a different timeline entirely? Haven't there been like 6 timelines on Flash alone so far?

The timeline that Rip picked up our cast from got erased literally in the last flash episode.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Sure this villan can't stand up to the team and repeatedly loses but they just leave his body and walk away defeated a bunch of times because he can't die that means he won somehow?

Don't forget how he survived by blind luck when getting tag-teamed by the Hawkers in what, episode 2? Savage is by far the least credible villain in recent memory. Like he's loving immortal. Why did the writers decide that his thing was being good with knives??? Have him wear an atom bomb on him or something. He's lived for thousands of years, his resources should be limitless.

Creativity, was ist das

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The team goes back to 1990 to foil Vandal Savage's plans of making "Ice Ice Baby" a billboard charting hit. They fail.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 13, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Krad posted:

Why would anyone want more screentime for the Hawkpeople?

I'd take it if it means Hawkdude dying like an idiot again.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Why have they been going non-lethal all season if killing was apparently not that big a deal? Or any deal, poor guy was forgotten about in 2 minutes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sereri posted:

The year is 50 B.C., Gaul is entirely occupied by Vandal Savage. Well, not entirely... The team helps one small village of indomitable Gauls to hold out against the invadors. Ray turns purple due to a magic potion. Sara makes out with Cleopatra.

:lol:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

"The Time Masters have sent Chronos to kill us!"

"Who's that?"

"An unstoppable assassin who will stop at nothing to stop us."

"Oh, okay."

"Now the Time Masters have sent the Hunters to kill us!"

"Who are they?"

"Unstoppable assassins who will stop at nothing to stop us."

"Oh, okay."

"Now the Time Masters have sent the Pilgrim to kill us!"

"Go gently caress yourself, Rip."

Truly the show that will define a generation.

Lost in time.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Bruceski posted:

He can't do that, Pilgrim just shot him.

Oh please, that was cut perfectly for the team to have a opportunity to intervene. This show is not that ballsy.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SgtSteel91 posted:

I-I know, I was just trying to be witty :negative:

This is the writers of this show, every day, as they drink themselves to sleep.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

This would have been the dumbest piece of time travel in this show yet if Flash hadn't already beat them to the punch this week with the time-remnant nonsense.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

Waiting until everyone they cared for was held hostage so that the whole team was assembled before facing her was the smart thing stupid as hell to do.

Ftfy.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

If she's important enough to them to let her gently caress with time any way she wants, you know, you try to keep your best assets in breathing condition.

Except for Paintballcrew™ who were apparently completely dispensable.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Can't wait for the objectively worst thing about this trainwreck of a show to come back. :dance:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Krad posted:

Huh, that's... better than what I expected.

It's hilarious comparing the first promo we got with how the show actually is. They're basically two completely different things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26B53jxIixE

:stare:, I had forgotten about this.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

"Any object that was in the room when you died can be used to kill Savage."

"So why don't we travel back there and stuff them all in a sack?"

"Ummmm"

"Rip? Rip, where are you going? Rip?"

Rip then proceeds to time-master pre-immortality Savage like he should have done from the start.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rip is such an incompetent idiot.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

They're really petty and only concern themselves with time-travel related atrocities?

Which should mean that The Flash and all of his villains should have been erased 500 times over by now but eeeeeeeeeeh

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Carter's knife failure. Which could have been a lie for all that they know. This show is preeeeetty duuuuumb.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Time, much like the writing, is a fluid concept with ever changing properties and rules.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The number one rule of time travel fiction is, it has to make sense internally. gently caress other fiction, gently caress common sense and gently caress physics. Time travel is magic, it is whatever you say it is. If you can follow the rules you've yourself established you're go, it doesn't have to be more complicated than that. Legends of Tomorrow makes no sense internally which is why we keep mocking it. The writing keeps tripping over itself by adding new elements that makes previous episodes completely nonsensical.

Or as someone else more eloquently put it,

FactsAreUseless posted:

People are annoyed that the show keeps changing its own rules in a way that prevents the plot from having any stakes at all.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Krad posted:

Oh boy, if people are upset about time travel rules in this show, they should probably stay away from the Flash.

Flash made it over 1 and half a season before it got inconsistent so that is actually quite impressive by CW standards.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Argue posted:

This show and the Flash have accomplished the herculean task of having time travel logic that somehow makes less sense than Doctor Who's time travel logic but still more sense than any of the characters' logic

I think the true sad commentary is that Stargate of all franchises managed this 10 years ago and yet CW keeps tripping.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The writers don't.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rip is pretty drat unlikeable.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Doesn't really matter if it involves time travel or not, it applies to everything. Magic, technology, whatever. If the plot of one episode relies on it working a particular way, it can't work differently in the next episode unless you explain why.

I feel like it's more egregious in Time Travel fiction though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Just is? I did pre-face it with I feel for a reason. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Triikan posted:

"DC's Legends of Tomorrow - Why doesn't Rip just _________"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me-WHitlw8A

• Locked thread