Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kesper North posted:

Snart enjoys The Game above all. Hence his willingness to make a "no killing" deal with Flash so they could just spar with eachother.

Yeah, and Barry also says something like, "No more killing - you're good enough to pull off your supervillain schemes without killing anyone, aren't you?" and he's all, "Of course I am. :smug:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hawkman might have been fine(-ish) if the Flash/Arrow crossover had ended with him going, "I'll keep my distance and give you time," (which is what they did in the JSA comics this appears to be working from) instead of being all, "DO YOU HAVE YOUR MEMORIES BACK YET, BELOVED?" You know, make it more "unrequired love" than "creepy stalker goon". It feels a bit like Anakin Skywalker in Attack of the Clones, to be honest.

I was also thinking that the scene with Rip assembling the team at the start might have been a bit neater if instead of him gathering them all on a rooftop, they'd kept the same dialogue but cut between him explaining it each of them separately. Or maybe that would've been worse - I can just about write Internet posts, much less TV episodes. :v:

It just felt sort of awkward as it was. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, in 2024, Hawkgirl and the Atom are due to team up with Green Arrow and the Flash in a big fight with the Reverse-Flash in Central City that ends with the Flash vanishing.

It was in Wells's future newspaper. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I notice Rip name-dropped Per Degaton in his appeal to the Time Masters - Degaton would have been a better villain to introduce a time-travel show than Vandal Savage. I realise they're tying Savage into the Hawks but Degaton would have been a better villain to introduce a time travel show; should've saved the "immortal fixed point in time" bad guy for later and started with the "they chase him through history" villain.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was just thinking, this series could potentially be a pretty good venue for crossing over the main Arrowverse stuff with Supergirl, couldn't it?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I dont know posted:

Flash seems more likely given Arrowverse and Supergirl are at not set in the same dimension. Still possible though.

Sure, it's just that they do time travel, they could probably stretch to a bit of dimension-hopping as well. :)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't all the previews have a scene where Ollie and Barry are giving the team a pep-talk on the same rooftop where Rip recruited them?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Yup. They reshot a lot of the pilot.

Ah, I see. Is there anywhere I can read about what they changed?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Digital Jedi posted:

Pocket Atom was pretty awesome.

They're going to homage that one episode of JLU by having Atom spend an episode riding around in White Canary's cleavage.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hope that - somewhere down the line - they run into an evil version of Stein so Victor Garber can go full-on Jack Bristow. :allears:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I imagine Hawkman will be back but it might be interesting if, when he does, it's a role reversal from when he first met Hawkgirl. For instance, what if they meet a Hawkman who met, married and started a family with someone else before they ever met Hawkgirl or recovered his memories?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The best show about immortals was Highlander: The Series.

Heh, if they'd known they were going to make this before they cast Eiling on Flash, they could've saved Clancy Brown to play Vandal Savage.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The crew leaving Savage and the knife wouldn't have been an issue if Chronos or somebody had jumped through the window or smashed through the ceiling and started shooting at them and they'd had to leg it back the ship.

Maybe Savage would benefit more generally - in terms of his threat level - from having Chronos (or somebody) hanging around at his shoulder to help him out with the fighting, make it a bit less lopsided when he goes up against the crew?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

It was... in the universe of Watchmen.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sure, isn't she a legit skilled martial artist who could probably break Vandal Savage in half IRL?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

greatn posted:

That would be an amazing twist actually. Rip Hunter isn't his real name and that locket isn't pictures of his actual family. He's feeding Savage fake intel a decade at a time to set a trap.

"Really, Ms Lance, wouldn't you start calling yourself 'Rip Hunter' if your parents had named you 'Booster Gold'?"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

So lets say they defeat Savage this season, who do they set up as the Villain of the second season? DC doesn't have quite the number of time traveling villains as Marvel does.

Per Degaton would probably be the best bet.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TyrantWD posted:

I think you can find a happy medium of having a single hero roaming around the world to fight villains, and pairing up with random heroes they find along the way. That way you can keep the leaner story focus of LoT, but at a manageable budget, and without the need to establish 5 new heroes at once, or bog down Arrow and Flash with setting up characters for another show.

You could probably pull it off if it was just Rip travelling in time and space with maybe two or three companions.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CainsDescendant posted:

I guarantee that Barrowman's been pushing for this since day one of production

That's gonna be the big Arrow / Flash / Supergirl crossover - the villain will be Neil Patrick Harris reprising his role as Music Meister from Batman: The Brave and the Bold.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It would be better if Savage had more of an active plan he was clearly working towards that the team needed to stop.

I think Degaton would have been a better villain, because he can jump back and forth through time and they'd have to chase him, ending up in places they don't expect, rather than just going to places where they know Savage will be, if you get what I mean.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Binary Logic posted:

Gathering an army of devout followers and taking over the planet is not enough of an active plan?!

I think he seems sort of like Dr Claw, in that he has a new scheme every week, then when he's beaten it's all, "I'LL GET YOU NEXT TIME, GADGET!" I don't get the feeling that he's been shaping or shepherding historical events toward his ultimate goal or anything like that, which I think (though I could be wrong) is what they're aiming at. :shrug:

I admit I'm not explaining it very well - does anyone else get what I'm trying to say?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DrNutt posted:

Speculation spoiler: We're getting an episode called 'The Magnificent Eight' in a few weeks, which doesn't really work unless Mick is still on the show or gets replaced.

BECAUSE YOU DEMANDED IT! - The Return of Hawkman.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

They actually all died in the first episode, and the reason they're so ineffectual is that they can't influence the outside world anymore.

Chronos confronts them in the last episode and removes his helmet to reveal that he is played by Terry O'Quinn and says, "We're still on the island, Jack!"

Then Rip Hunter wakes up and he was Matthew Fox all along.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Next time, Ray is once again marooned, this time in the Sierra Nevada in the winter of 1846; he joins a wagon train captained by one George Donner and when he is picked up, complains of the scrap of chicken stuck between his teeth which he is unable to dislodge. Rip orders the crew to keep their mouths shut. Snart smirks, "Should've given Ray that advice, fearless leader."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think the problem is really with Savage, but rather that they didn't do anything interesting with the effort to get him. They could have made it a case of "I don't know where to find Savage or how to beat him so we have to follow a series of clues and vague connections until we find him." But instead they just had him go "Ok, lets go to XXXX to try and stop him. Whoops, that failed. Ok, lets try XXXX. Nope. Lets try XXXX." Too much Savage just showing up and clowning the team, not near enough intrigue and plot.

It doesn't feel like there's much of a narrative throughline to their efforts to stop Savage's plans, because Savage doesn't really seem to have an overarching plan most of the time. Compare most of the big bads in Arrow, Flash and Supergirl. Their schemes usually have a clear sense of direction and their activities usually seem to be building up to it. I don't get the same impression from Savage in LoT. I don't feel like his plans are building up to him trying to take over the world; it feels more like he goes around selling nuclear weapons to terrorists, fomenting wars between superpowers or playing mad scientist because he enjoys it, then in Rip's time just decided world conquest might be fun to try.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Robot Hobo posted:

On the other hand, that would imply that somewhere nearby, just a couple days in the future, there's hundreds of Rip Hunters all crying at once when each of them simultaneously fails to save his family. A warehouse full of sobbing Rips, the floor ankle-deep in tears.

Time duplicates are always doomed.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FilthyImp posted:

That's because Flash introduced him as a pervert that gets his rocks off through his creepy hatefuck time-trigger fetish. His entire character was written as "Guy who murders Hawkpeople, sucks their mist, then sharpens knives while they regenerate". Everything else has been a timewasting enterprise on the whim of a guy that has a shitload of time on his hands. Sell nukes to Biyalistopia? Why the gently caress not. Genefuck 1950s whiteboys? Might be fun for a few years (also tuna salad).

Suddenly he's this enlightened long-con guy that's using chaos to destabilize the world regime to save the humanity from itself? Like he takes a TimeTrip to 1977 and finds that Kasnia nukes Israel and causes a holocaust because nothing is around to check them, so he TimeHax his way to 1975 to organize a Norwegian atomics sale that neutralizes that threat. We kind of see this in the Per Degaton era, as Vandal tries to get everyone to realize that environmental collapse is a generation away.

I imagine the writers are kicking themselves for using Ra's al-Ghul in Arrow, because that's his thing in the comics.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't seen the last two or three episodes (I started the one where they go to Kasnia or wherever and Savage is young Degaton's tutor, but it just didn't engage me at all so I gave up after about 10 minutes) so I'm not sure if it's been topped, but I think the single worst line of this show so far has been the one in "Star City 2046" (which was otherwise a fun episode) where Ray says, "Don't you remember, Oliver? Rip Hunter recruited us to be Legends," and it's the clunkiest thing ever.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder which members of the cast come with the highest price tag?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

I am upset that DC's terror of even mentioning anything Green Lantern related means that in the JSA we won't get Alan Scott in this season.

Did the movie really burn them that badly? Have I severely underestimated how big a blow for them that was all this time? I mean, I thought it was just an underperformer but it sounds like it was Fantastic Four 2015.

Hughlander posted:

No just that David Anders needs to be recognized as a natural treasure and I dream of an alt reality where he played on HIMYM (that only lasted two seasons and didn't wear out its welcome)

He should be the US Roger Cross.

Much like Alexis Denisof, I'm so used to David Anders doing a British accent that it's really weird to hear him talk in his natural one. :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hope beardy Reverse-Flash dresses up as a crooked 1850s cavalry captain.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

I know Rip said it when he recruited them and Ray said it when they met Conner Hawke but it's a thing now?

LoT has its fair share of bad lines but that "Don't you remember? Rip Hunter recruited us to be Legends!" one has to be the first of them all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rocksicles posted:

Caity Lotz is crushing this fighting malarky.

She has a legit martial arts background, right? Wikipedia sez she does taekwondo and Muay Thai.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One episode will have the team going through their adventure, fairly standard stuff, normal episode of LoT, and then BAM! and Ray's locked up in an eye removal machine.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

McSpanky posted:

e: I rewatched the fight vs. Flash/Ollie/Firestorm and Oliver has the upper hand but Wells gets some licks in and definitely isn't dunked on, it would've been more satisfying if he pulled a few moves on them instead of "evil wins because good is dumb".

I liked that when it happened, because I can take or leave superhuman characters being completely useless when they lose their powers.

I like that one episode of JLU where Superman gets sent to the future and doesn't have his powers, so he loads up a car with petrol and starts driving toward where their HQ should be, then after he has to continue on foot and gets attacked by some wolves, he escapes and forges a machete and kills the leader of the pack, and the rest of the wolves become loyal to him. I liked that one.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Licarn posted:

They should have used the spear to remove the spear itself from reality.

Send it to the 31st century, where it's found by the Persuader who turns it into an axe that can cut through anything up to and including time itself, and the bad guys in the next season are the Fatal Five.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
:iceburn:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LadyPictureShow posted:

E: the creature commandos too. Mick punches a Nazi dinosaur with a vampire, werewolf, and Frankenstein's monster

Wasn't the main guy from Creature Commandos used as the bad guy from the flashbacks to Hong Kong in Arrow s3?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Longbaugh01 posted:

Rip bakes a cake so advanced it causes a time aberration and he becomes the big bad of S3.

First hints of Supergirl crossover dropped:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Well, Johnny Depp's playing Grindelwald so I suppose it makes sense they'd want someone close to the same age to play Dumbledore.

I finally watched that movie the other day and while I liked it, Eddie Redmayne could not be more Eleventh Doctor in it.

• Locked thread