Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wheat Loaf posted:

Time duplicates are always doomed.

Jax : Kiss my front-butt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The Time Masters being in League with Savage is the least surprising twist in history.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You have to have what made people like the comics in the first place, but not slavishly replicate the comics, that's the trick.

And yea, I've given up on Arrow because basically everyone on the show is awful with zero redeeoming qualities. It's like if LoT only had Rip, Kendra, Carter and Savage. At least Flash has Sisko, Joe, Wells, sometimes Caitlyn and even sometimes Iris. Hopefully Barry will go back to how he was before, or how he was in Supergirl.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wish they had not gone with the Thanagarians invading, rather they went with the storyline where Vandal Savage teams up with Solaris to gently caress over earth. That would have been more interesting, and would have kept with Savage trying to take over earth.

And I think the writers, like writers at DC, think the Hawkman/Hawkgirl thing is super romantic, and therefor something people love. No, people like the hawkpeople because they hit people with giant maces, not because Carter is always forcing Shiara into a relationship.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

boom boom boom posted:

I found a problem in your post

Well, there are people who like Hawkman and Hawkgirl, they wouldn't have been around for so long if they weren't. Just because we don't know any doesn't mean they don't exist.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Na'at posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that they had been together by choice for something like 4 thousand years; It's just that they always have an amnesia like period to get over.

So basically isn't carter like waiting out his true loves reverse dementia? Like she pulled the same poo poo on future mind wiped Carter didn't she

It always seems like Carter gets his memories and then goes and finds Shiara and tells her they were meant to be together. Some writers have made it so both were in a position that it wasn't creepy, but the majority of stories I've read its always Carter being the one who starts it.

And yea, JLU did it best with Carter being portrayed as a creepy stalker and Batman wants to punch his lights out for stalking his friend. If creepers like Dini and Timm realize it's not right, then it's really not right.

Jack of Hearts posted:

Solaris is an, uh, interesting choice. How well do you think this show would have done representing a talking sun as a threat?

I agree that that was one of the best Vandal Savage stories, because it played to his one unique strength, which is that he can play the long, long, long game. Savage should have been shown deliberately putting pieces into play century by century building to his eventual conquest. Instead he seemed to gently caress around at random in each time period with no apparent strategy in mind.

It would actually be easy, you just need a glowy ball that talks with a modulated voice of someone already on the cast, like an TOS Star Trek episode. You hit my biggest problem outside of Savage's actor not really seeming like a threat (also the fact he was just some Egyptian dude rather than an uplifted caveman), that he never really seemed like he had a over arching plan for most of history we see, outside of the Degatron stuff, and that was pretty much right before his takeover. His arms sales, his experiments, they all seemed really small time villain stuff. He should have been going all Bene Gessertt, manipulating bloodlines for centuries to create perfect captains to serve him, creating important and powerful families that would supply him with money and resources, and hell, suggest that he created literal countries to support him. But that would be way too imaginative for the writers on the show, becuase everything has to be delt with this week and Savage jumps out a window while everyone goes "wow I have lots of feelings about what just happened, lets talk about them rather than chasing down Savage for once and for all".

Actually I wish this show was more like Stargate, that had great reoccurring villains, over arching plots, but episodes were generally self contained enough to not scare off casual viewers. Plus it managed to have emotional arcs without interrupting the action.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Thank god they finally just stabbed Savage, and no one went 'No wait, we can't just kill him, that would be murder!".

Aw man, you got my boots wet!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm just worried next season there will be a stinger with Savage being back. Because TV writers never understand why people like the shows they write, they just think they're geniuses and therefor people like the shows for all of their ideas.

It's pissed me off so much in Flash when Iris said "Blackest Night" and of course there is no Green Lantern stuff at all in the Arrowverse, but god drat you don't use one of the iconic phrases that go with the characters without it. But if we got Alan Scott GL next season, all will be forgiven.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

GreenNight posted:

The showrunner confirmed Savage is dead and not coming back.

Good. I was worried we'd have another Fish Mooney situation.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

But I didn't see Barrowman in the trailer :confused:

He got cast as Zap Brannigan in the live action Futurama movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am upset that DC's terror of even mentioning anything Green Lantern related means that in the JSA we won't get Alan Scott in this season.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wheat Loaf posted:

Did the movie really burn them that badly? Have I severely underestimated how big a blow for them that was all this time? I mean, I thought it was just an underperformer but it sounds like it was Fantastic Four 2015.

I spend some time trying to track down the quote, but an WB exec was saying that they feel the brand is too damaged to make another movie, or have any related characters in the DCCU any time soon. Which to me would be like Marvel saying that because Ang Lee Hulk movie was bad, they won't have the Hulk in the MCU. Considering how important GLs are to the over all cosmic world of DC, I feel like ignoring it is like Marvel saying no Thor stuff.

I keep hoping Supergirl does something with it, because it would be easy to have Atrocitus or Larfeeze on Fort Ross and have her have to fight them, with Atrocitus being an interesting villain because his motivations are not hatred but grief.

But seriously, doing a JSA without Alan Scott is just wrong. Though do they have a Dr Fate?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, lots of nifty stuff in there. So is everyone teaming up on Legends? Are we going to get to see Victor Gerber sing? These are the important questions.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

R-Type posted:

Who's pole got greased to let Jack Black on this flaming shitheap?

What's he been doing lately? Gulliver's Travels royalties can't pay for a house in the hills.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Time Lesbian Shenanigans is the name of my new band. They're on Tour with Bear-Shark Alliance and HoMunkCulus

It actually made up for the JSA missing certain members. The completely incorrect history kind of reminded me of old genre shows with time travel where they'd go to a point in time and not get a single detail right or act like some myth was true, because hey why not act like King Arthur was real?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Stein would have probably punched out Teller.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Vixen: You really believe there is a secret order of men trained in the art of assassination?
Sarah: :smug:

Mick was so happy to meet ninjas. Though what happened to the future gun that the Shogun's henchmen had?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mr Beens posted:

The field that the guy crashed into looked identical to the one the metal man fell into last episode.

There's only like one field in BC within driving distance of Vancouver.

I like the detail of Sarah hiking up her skirt to fight the zombies at first.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Did you draw your own superhero costume?
No, it's clearly Captain America.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Jeff Fehey as Mcgree.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Does anyone care about Stein's wife drama? His entire story as been about that recently.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DoctorWhat posted:

Are you guys thick?

Stein has a DAUGHTER in the new timeline because he persuades his younger self to spend more time with Clarissa.

That might be a satisfactory ending to it.

Also, Citizen Steel is such a low rent Colossus. Having to put effort into blocking a train rather than just letting it collide with you.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I kinda wish they'd do an episode where they go to the 30s and meet Golden Age Superman and Batman.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Mantis Shrimp Power!

*explodes enemy goons heads like fist of the north star*

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I like how Amalgam ROgue is still just Rogue. Plus I'm sure 90% of comic pitches in the 90s were "Okay, so it's like Batman, but combined with Wolverine!".

jscolon2.0 posted:

Gwenpool's pretty young, and we try not to sexualize her.

Gwenpool is not a combination of Harley Quinn and Deadpool! She is a normal girl from probably our universe or at least one were Marvel comics, movies and TV exist, and she uses that knowlage to help her be a "hero". She is unaware she's in a comic, and outside of being a blond girl, she's nothing like Harley, in classic or Post Joker move. I'm sure Editorial said "make a female deadpool but make it Gwen Stacy because Spider-Gwen was such a huge hit" but the writers and artists were able to do something much, much better. Currently she's taken over MODOK's mercenary group and hangs out with Batroc.

That is clearly not the Halls of Justice because I didn't hear Frank Welker say "Meanwhile at the Halls of Justice" when I looked at the time.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bobkatt013 posted:

Of course it's Frank Welker

In the 70s all cartoons had to have Frank Welker and a talking dog.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

howe_sam posted:

Gwen's very much aware she's in a comic, that's why she's such a horrible monster.

Oh yea, I meant she isn't aware she's in a comic in a way that makes her able to break the 4th wall.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 26, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I liked how they would say George Lucas constantly as if they got money every time they said his name or something.

Of the 3 Arrowverse shows, Legends is currently tops with me, because it's not bogged down in pointless relationship drama.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This is not exactly the best time to have speeches about how America is great and how it's all about fairness and justice, but it was still pretty fun.

I do like how it cribbed from Guns of the South, though that had modern racists give the CSA Aks.

But drat, being Canada, i always find it hilarious how American stuff always makes Cornwallis and the Brits little better than nazis in anything involving the Revolutionary War. Here Cornwallis is seen as a hero with schools and counties named after him.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

STAC Goat posted:

In fairness the Legends have been out of the timeline for awhile now and our reality sounds a lot like one of those "aberrations" they'd have to go fix.

Yea, I could see the Legend of Doom getting Trump elected.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm just catching up, but I'm really annoyed in WW1 they clearly had WW2 german uniforms on, with the exception of the Officer.

Everyone punching Mick when they come to was pretty hilarious.

And only now do I noticed the Waveriders holo table is the TARDIS's controls.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

STAC Goat posted:

Wacky terrorist name aside I get a kick out of them bringing in a character who was made for Saturday Morning shows but also I really enjoyed her eventual comic story.

Here's for the Wonder Twins in S4.

Apache Chief, El Dorado and Samurai all appear next season. I hope they let Caity Lotz keep her purple hair, she looks amazing with it.

• Locked thread