Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I really honestly tried to go into this show without reacting to Arthur Darvill as Rory from Who.

But the pilot was so damned Who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Did anyone else have a double-take moment when the AI was revealed to be Gideon? Is it supposed to be THE Gideon? That Flash made, and Eobarde Thawne stole and carried around?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

Forever was amazing.

:agreed:

Forever's antagonist was believably scary, because they managed to communicate the idea that Adam had been around for thousands of years and was incredibly dangerous - not because he was immortal or because he had powers or anything, but rather because anybody with the sheer amount of time and life experience that he had has seen anything you can come up with and probably more besides, and is always 12 steps ahead of you.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Xealot posted:

Also, on a more philosophical level, he was scary because he showed what happens to a person when they have no fear of death. After thousands of years of life, all empathy or sense of moral purpose had rotted away, and all that was left of him was a sociopath who saw in humanity its worst and most corrupt qualities. The discourse between Henry (a humanist) and Adam (an absolute nihilist) was the best part of the show, by far.

Henry's face in the moment that he realized that Adam was him, only in another 2,000 years was the best moment of the show IMO.

Seriously that show was great, I wish it hadn't been shitcanned after 1 season.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 2, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Xealot posted:

Or have Firestorm literally grab him and fly him out of the atmosphere. At any point where they confront him. See what happens when they exceed escape velocity and propel him into space.

Isn't that basically what happened with Doomsday? He gets chained to an asteroid and sends him floating off into interstellar space. Have fun being unable to die alone out in the black.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

Superheroes tend to exist at a level of writing similar to wrestling

Hulk Hogan quit the WWF due to kryptonite poisoning

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

He does not like when he is around different colors.

drat, I guess I walked right into that one. Well played.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Azhais posted:

What's nonsensical is that they keep going forward in time facing an ever increasingly prepared Savage instead of going backwards

The Doctor addresses this at some point, talking about being unable to cross their own time streams or whatever.

Basically because the team hosed with Savage in '75 and he survived, they can't kill him before then now because that would cause a paradox.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

This was like the funnest hour of television I've seen in years.

I mean...okay, the Sara/Kendra thing I could take or leave. They tried to play it off like "Hey your problem is the opposite of mine" but really, nah, they have the exact same problem and it's kind of annoying at this point. We got the whole "I can't control my raaaage" thing with Roy, then with Thea, now with Sara and Kendra. It's done. Leave it.

I honestly thought they were going to try something like 'without Carter around, Kendra's inner Hawk Goddess is out of tune/balance' or something similar. Which would have maybe actually been interesting.

Nope, just generic rage like half of the cast of Arrow. :negative:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Zoom has been handled badly. That doesn't mean the concept is inherently flawed. It has been done well before and I see no reason it couldn't be done well again.

The antagonist in Forever, Adam, is a good example of succeeding at what Flash is trying to do with Zoom. Adam is only in something like 4 episodes of the show but he's legit scary as gently caress.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

I like how each time Rip confronts Savage, Rip drops more and more personal information for Savage to remember & act upon.
Half expecting Rip to give out DOB's for his family during next encounter with Savage.

"I will never allow you to be in that field on April 27, 2166 when you killed my family!"

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

greatn posted:

That would be an amazing twist actually. Rip Hunter isn't his real name and that locket isn't pictures of his actual family. He's feeding Savage fake intel a decade at a time to set a trap.

I was thinking more that Rip going back in time to stop Vandal is instrumental in Vandal taking over the world in 2166. It would be a Terminator (1) type closed-loop paradox.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I am so incredibly hyped for Arrow Beyond next week. :woop:

How old is Wentworth Miller? There's a lot of white in his hair, and he doesn't look that old...

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Krad posted:

Wasn't it implied that Malcolm had something to do with bringing him back when they turned him into dust? I assumed someone from the outside would have to help him to revive, but eh, who knows at this point. He still seems like a total pushover, I don't get him as a big threatening villain, even in the comics.

That was, chronologically, the last time we've seen Vandal Savage. All his appearances in Legends have been either earlier than that in the timeline, or the initial 2166 'flashback'.

For all we know, as of 2016 Savage could still just be a pile of ashes.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Jack of Hearts posted:

I guess the Arrowverse has set up Cold as a bad guy with possibly some hidden good guy impulses. Maybe. But a better argument against Mick would be that in the wasteland future, there'd be nothing really worth stealing. The Rogues don't lead gangs, they just steal stuff, because they like stealing stuff.

I get that things have to be changed for purposes of visual adaptation, and fidelity to comic books isn't important at all. I don't get Cold's motivation, though, unless this is a lead-up to him being Citizen Cold.

That whole thing was dumb, all Snart needed to do was point out to Mick that when everyone else went back to 2016, the universe he stayed in would cease to exist.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

They should just pay BBC America to use that clip in an episode instead of recreating it. :allears:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

ApeHawk posted:

No, that's Earth-2.

No, Earth-1 has a Jay, he just goes by a different name.

We're in the closeted universe. :tinfoil:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Bad Moon posted:

Remember when we were all "Can't get enough Barrowman!!!"

This hasn't changed though.

The writing my get lovely, but Barrowman chews that loving scenery magnificently.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mortanis posted:

It's going to be revealed near the end that Rip is loving things up on purpose and isn't really a good guy. It's been done that way twice on Flash now, might as well get it on Legends too!

There was a series of kids movies I remember vaguely from way back when where this turned out to be the plot. Josh the Time Warrior or whatever had travelled around with this professor dude to stop this other guy in a big time battle suit thing and then at the end it's revealed the 'bad' guy is trying to fix all the stuff the kindly professor dude had hosed up. It was pretty bad.

e: Josh Kirby... Time Warrior! ahaha so bad...

e2: VVV Holy poo poo, that synopsis sounds amazing VVV

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 10, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Binary Logic posted:

Be careful what you wish for - Hot Tub Time Machine 2 is not nearly as good as you're hoping.

This man is wrong, HTTM2 is exactly as amazing as it sounds.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Binary Logic posted:

Bad boy Rory? I think Stein causes more problems and gets them into more troubling situations than anyone else.

No no no, he means Rip Hunter Arthur Darville Rory the Last Centurion

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Killing the hawks is what keeps Savage immortal, right? I mean it's not like he's just immortal and he does it for kicks, the fact that he tracks them down each time they reincarnate and kills them and sucks up their life mist or whatever is what keeps him going, right?

So couldn't you pick up 2016 Kendra (and Carter too I guess) and just set her down in 2150 or something with a new identity/life, knowing that no new hawks were born since 2016 (since they hadn't died) and Savage probably lost his immortality mojo and died an old man around 2060 or something?

Hell, shouldn't taking Kendra along on all these time ship adventures done that already, since she's been taken outside of the timeline?

e: I just realized that for some reason I thought there wasn't an episode this week, but talk of Carter coming back may torpedo my drat ramblings. :saddowns:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 2, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Krad posted:

Wait a sec, if Savage can time travel, then maybe it wasn't the timeline correcting itself every time Rip went back to save his family. Maybe Savage was just screwing with him and going back as many times as Rip did.

I'm betting the show is going to double down and go with something like the Time Masters not wanting Rip to off Savage because Savage is the First Time Lord and/or is integral to forming the Time Lords themselves. They can't let Rip save his family because that would erase them all from history.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Kammat posted:

They're making Frequency a series? :psyduck:

It worked surprisingly well for Limitless.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Xoidanor posted:

Show literally got cancelled.

I mean ep 9-forward owned but no viewer saw that apparently. :sigh:

I said it was a good show, not that the network didn't take it out back and put a bullet in its head. :(

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

howe_sam posted:

Making Jumanji with The Rock, Kevin Hart and Karen Gillan

Is Jumanji seriously being remade?

... Was it somehow enough of a classic to warrant being remade?

What the gently caress, Hollywood?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I couldn't believe the JSA showed up right at the end of the episode. This show is nuts and doesn't even care, does it?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

In the new timeline 'Friends of Dorothy' never caught on, it's instead 'Friends of Sara'

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Heatwave apparently no longer has a fire gun or lines, so why is he still here?

He's there to comment on how dumb the plot is - he's the audience self-insert.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

TwoPair posted:

True to the source material :(

Well you kind of have to admit that the Martian Manhunter is nearly Flash levels of 'fixes plot in 5 seconds' overpowered.

I mean, he's basically Superman, only he can also shapeshift, and walk through walls, and gently caress with people's minds...

e: I would love to hear the logic behind Plastic Man being a huge threat, though. :wtf: It can be through PMs if nobody else here cares I guess.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 3, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I think I'm in love with Evil Rip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

My wife groaned and :ughh: when I went "Sarah Lance, Time Lesbian" when she and Guenevere started making googly eyes at each other. It took a few seconds of me going "wut" before she finally said, "Guenevere wasn't in love with Arthur, she was in love with Lancelot."

:haw:

They made this joke in the episode itself, didn't they? "Sarah Lance... a lot" :quagmire:

• Locked thread