Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vane threw the slaver overboard with chains tied to his feet because VANE HATES SLAVERS.

Fun fact about Woodes Rogers is that on a previous expedition he was sued by crew members because he didn't pay their shares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I wonder how many more seasons they have planned because in real life some of the major characters didn't live much longer. Based on the Woodes Rogers stuff this season takes place in 1718 and in real life (major spoilers) Jack Rackham was executed in 1720 and Vane in 1721. Most famously, Blackbeard doesn't even survive the year.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of historical stuff, I'm kind of surprised they still haven't introduced Mary Read yet considering how important she was to Anne and Jack. IRL she didn't start hanging out with them for another couple of years but she was active as a pirate at this time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know most shows don't get a larger budget in subsequent seasons but it really looks like they've been throwing money at this season. The ship effects are just so much better this year, especially the parts filmed on the boat sets.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While the guy losing his second bag o gold was funny as hell.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently the real amount was 350,000 pieces of eight. So however much that is in modern money.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I wonder if they'll use the Walrus losing it's flag as a chance to fix that little historical inaccuracy. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure they've been using Blackbeard's historical flag.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Xoidanor posted:

That can't be real.

It's not just raising a cup, he's supposed to be "toasting the devil."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

Looked a little bit like they landed Africa to me.

Those guys are probably Maroons, basically escaped slaves who lived out in the middle of nowhere.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nameless Pete posted:

Real talk, though, this show needs some drat Mary Read in it. This is like if you had a tv show about Old West bank robbers and had just Butch Cassidy by his lonesome.

Technically they don't start hanging out with her until the 1720 and this season is 1718

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Charles Vane will escape to the future.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Holyshoot posted:

What are those black spheres the urca gold was converted to?

Black pearls.

I really liked the scene with Flint's big speech half in shadow.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, Mr Scott just kind of refuses to die.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A funny thing about Blackbeard is that every time he's portrayed in movies and TV shows he's always too old. He never made it to 40.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of an ignoble end for poor Mr Dufresne.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Don't post spoilers until it's on TV, you jerks.

I tend to just avoid this thread on Saturdays until the episode has aired.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I'm wondering if with 2 episodes left they'll actually have Blackbeard do something again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dang, Mr Scott sure took a long time to die. Also, :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

richardfun posted:

Jesus Christ, now that is how you do a finale!

When does the show come back?

Next January, same as always.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

They're always wet and packed with fruit (to combat scurvy you see).

True fact, the British navy was the first to discover that adding lemon or lime juice to the rations of lovely rum (aka grog) the sailors received prevented scurvy. Hence the term limeys. Didn't get discovered till about a 100 years after this show though, so really there should be more suffering of nasty diseases to be accurate.

The funny thing is that they eventually hosed up and forgot why exactly they were using a specific fruit and switched to a different one, except it didn't actually help against scurvy so they ended up getting it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funny thing is that 4 years is actually longer than most of the historical pirates' careers. If you look on Wikipedia you see a lot of 1-2 year runs once they turn pirate.

• Locked thread